Author Topic: British Pie Week  (Read 8989 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
British Pie Week
« on: 09 March, 2017, 08:44:38 am »
As you all know, this is British Pie Week. I expect you have all been too busy downing the glorious offerings of our great pie makers to comment on here. The British Pie of choice, in my view, has to be Pukka. I have been an avid fan of their iconic advertising for many years. The classic 'Pie and chips in the Jag with classy cocktails' comes to mind, as does the unbeatable 'Bride and Groom with Pukka' which so elegantly makes the obvious point that a Pukka pie is well posh.
There is a Pukka Pie Appreciation society on Facebook which I urge all serious aficionados to support. These are troubling times, and as we lurch towards the darkness of the post Brexit dystopia, there is a beacon of hope - we will have Pukka Pies to eat, free of EU interference, garlic or any other foreign muck.
Other brand of British Pie are available for sporting, or less formal dining.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: British Pie Week
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:09:54 am »
ATM Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles are knocking out their own-brand snake'n'pygmy pies1 for less than the Pukka equivalent and I have to say that the pastry on Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles' offering is quite a lot nicer.  Sadly there doe not appear to be a chicken and mushroom equivalent.

1: Round ones in cardboard boxes, not oval ones in plastic which are fit only for pikeys, and Eric Pickles.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:55:46 am »
The important question of course is what constitutes a pie?

My view is that it must be completely encased in pastry to allow it to be manhandled and eaten on the go.   A casserole dish full of stew with a flaky pastry lid a. la. gastropub is not a pie.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2017, 11:23:23 am »
Pukka pies are the only pie for That Jesus Sandwich. I tried once with Pieminister but this boy was forced to demur from trying to squeeze something that large into his mouth. They also make a Heidi pie which sounds a bit sinister.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »
Great British Pies could be the healing balm our fractured nation needs at this time. I don't think British Pie Week has nearly enough attention paid to it. Our chancellor found time in his budget speech to pay lip service to International Women's Day, but completely failed to acknowledge the British pie, which I suspect matters a lot more to the JAMS queuing at Greggs, whose minds were firmly on pies.
A small tax break for pies, perhaps generously including the Cornish Pasty and Welsh Oggy, even inclusion of that Scottish mutton pie-like thing, (although I think that is pushing it a bit) could have been made. There is even room for hipster ironic artisan pies in the pie tent, next to cockney pie and mash with green juice for the toothless).
Fray Bentos, of course is not allowed, as in fact it is Argentiain not British, and thus on the wrong side in the war.

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2017, 12:37:12 pm »
Hmm rabbit pie, now I'm feeling hungry.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

red marley

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2017, 12:58:38 pm »
A small tax break for pies [...]

Jaffa Cakes are classified as "orange pies" for tax purposes.

« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:20:16 pm »
Piiiiiieeee

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:20:29 pm »
...A small tax break for pies, perhaps generously including the Cornish Pasty and Welsh Oggy, even inclusion of that Scottish mutton pie-like thing, (although I think that is pushing it a bit) could have been made...

May I nom nominate the Forfar bridie instead?

ian

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:06:00 pm »
I think Fray Bentos are Uruguayan. Or were, probably owned by some international conglomerate and made in the same factory as Pedigree Chum (sounds like Boris's bff at Eton).

Pie in a tin. It's admittedly a good invention as much of the best stuff comes in tins. One of my formative adult experiences (every phrase is a gift) was realising I could eat an entire large Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie to myself.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2017, 03:19:33 pm »
I think you will find that is because a Fray Bentos pie is actually only half an inch thick and has less in it than a budget delivery pizza.  Didn't stop my mum from serving them as dinner for 4 boys.  Mind you that was when pancake day was marked by the arrival of a single pancake with sugar and a squeeze of Jif.
Seriously though, if anyone has not looked at Pukka ads - they are the best. I have one on the wall in the workshop - a lovely young lady nibbling at a sophisticated chaps chip, in the front of his creamy leather lined Jag, while he cups a juicy pie in his hand.  There is one of those firm gear knobs in there too.

red marley

« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »
I think it more than a little suspicious that today is not only #BritishPieWeek but also #WorldKidneyDay.

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2017, 04:45:48 pm »
The important question of course is what constitutes a pie?

My view is that it must be completely encased in pastry to allow it to be manhandled and eaten on the go.   A casserole dish full of stew with a flaky pastry lid a. la. gastropub is not a pie.

I agree entirely and a campaign should be started to rid such items from British menus
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:18:39 pm »
I think there is a technical term for those things, something like 'lidders', or 'toppers'. They are completely not a pie.  The very worst are made in places where the lids are bulk preprepared separately, and the pot of microwave plop is then topped off with the hastily reheated lid.

« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:34:12 pm »
Even worse those trendy places that "deconstruct" food and serve a stew with a separate piece of pastry and call that a pie possibly on a dustbin lid or in cowboy hat.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:38:09 pm »
Even worse those trendy places that "deconstruct" food and server a stew with a separate piece of pastry and call that a pie possibly on a dustbin lid or in cowboy hat.

http://wewantplates.com ftw...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2017, 07:15:59 pm »
Is it pie?

Run by my grate friend Bob. This was partly inspired by the series of pie-off competitions run by a mutual friend of ours; the Holy Wars that ensued regarding whether entries were true or faux pie were epic indeed...

red marley

« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2017, 07:36:12 pm »
Although you can have an approximate pie by sharing 22 Cornish pasties between 7 people.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »
Piiiiiieeee

Ugh God,  that's a cow with a bit of flour dusting,
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:15:27 pm »
If you're ever on the west coast:
http://www.piesbypost.co.uk
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #21 on: 09 March, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
Piiiiiieeee

This pie, although created by an artisan of the oven (and particularly a person with a deep love of the chopping board), has some very serious issues - Mrs Pingu highlights but one - possibly because she is a kind person. To her credit but I fear I must stand for the unwholesome truth.  The lack of affection, generous love,  for pastry is glaring. 

This pie has no regard for the central role of pastry, but sees it as no more that the icing of a meat cake. Instead we are asked to consider a conflicting cacophony of content - an 1812 overture to be eaten. The biggest issue is the complete lack of gravy, that most emollient of fluids, and perhaps the yet more contentious issue of 'slicing'.   

While the absence of gravy may contribute to structure, and enable the clever artistic layering of varietal meats to create an attractive 'effect' - this pie would require a pouring sauce to be effectively edible. It is not a whole thing, but merely a part. It is unlikely one would take out such a pie from ones pocket en route to a date for a choice mouthful. It seems to be an 'artists impression' of an idea of pie, as if by an architect not intending to live in the block of modernist flats, for whom life in such a place would be made bearable by large amounts of additional money, or gravy.

As such it is a pie conceived by someone who does understand pie, and has perhaps not eaten an actual real pie - a metropolitan elite version of pie, that has not engaged with the pie it seeks to represent. 

A remainers pie?

ElyDave

« Reply #22 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:24:47 pm »

« Reply #23 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:33:18 pm »
I think it more than a little suspicious that today is not only #BritishPieWeek but also #WorldKidneyDay.

Steak and kidney pie is my favourite ;)

ElyDave

« Reply #24 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:01:45 pm »
Piiiiiieeee

This pie, although created by an artisan of the oven (and particularly a person with a deep love of the chopping board), has some very serious issues - Mrs Pingu highlights but one - possibly because she is a kind person. To her credit but I fear I must stand for the unwholesome truth.  The lack of affection, generous love,  for pastry is glaring. 

This pie has no regard for the central role of pastry, but sees it as no more that the icing of a meat cake. Instead we are asked to consider a conflicting cacophony of content - an 1812 overture to be eaten. The biggest issue is the complete lack of gravy, that most emollient of fluids, and perhaps the yet more contentious issue of 'slicing'.   

While the absence of gravy may contribute to structure, and enable the clever artistic layering of varietal meats to create an attractive 'effect' - this pie would require a pouring sauce to be effectively edible. It is not a whole thing, but merely a part. It is unlikely one would take out such a pie from ones pocket en route to a date for a choice mouthful. It seems to be an 'artists impression' of an idea of pie, as if by an architect not intending to live in the block of modernist flats, for whom life in such a place would be made bearable by large amounts of additional money, or gravy.

As such it is a pie conceived by someone who does understand pie, and has perhaps not eaten an actual real pie - a metropolitan elite version of pie, that has not engaged with the pie it seeks to represent. 

A remainers pie?

Seems to be a bit of a 17th century "coffin" pie, designed to preserve the meat and not much else