Author Topic: The "Buzzard" is back!  (Read 9282 times)

Re: The "Buzzard" is back!
« Reply #50 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:06:32 am »
If anyone wants them, I've done each section as a Garmin file. Let me know and I'll paste some links here

How would that be different to the supplied gpx file (which opens as separate sections)?

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #51 on: 06 July, 2018, 11:29:12 am »
No difference at all, but I'm a numpty and IT illiterate and find it easier to use Garmin connect :thumbsup:

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #52 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:07:51 pm »
so i'm probably being dumb.. but I only see the last stage (brac - Leigh) when I download the GPS files...

« Reply #53 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:56:55 pm »
so i'm probably being dumb.. but I only see the last stage (brac - Leigh) when I download the GPS files...

I don't know the limitations of other Garmin devices (I use an Etrex).  Loading the zip file into Ride with GPS or GPX Editor will bring up a separate file for each leg.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #54 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:51:55 pm »
yep using gpx editor worked, ta.

« Reply #55 on: 07 July, 2018, 08:57:31 am »
I sent the Exeter starters off at 6 this morning.  Steve Abraham started the Leighton Buzzard lot at 7.  It's still fairly cool down here, but the sun's out.

« Reply #56 on: 08 July, 2018, 06:04:37 pm »
Three riders have notified that they're packing: two illness/heat, one Garmin malfunction (!).
They have until 10pm, or 11pm for the LB starters. 

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #57 on: 08 July, 2018, 10:36:02 pm »
My first DNF. I managed about 280km before packing. My rear gear cable snapped and the end of the cable jammed in the lever. The thought of the rest of the ride with only one gear wasn't very appealing, but if I'm honest I was quite relived to stop. I was struggling with the oppressive heat, and another day with those temperatures would have been too much (God knows what it's like on the Millie Pennines this year!)So at about 11:30pm I got some kip and in a field, I then watched the sun come up at about 4:30am and cycled in to Taunton for breakfast and then got the train back.

I'll be back to finish this ride some time soon.

Arthur
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #58 on: 09 July, 2018, 08:27:58 am »
I bumped into a few of the Exe-Buzzard-ers in Malmsbury. brought back memories of the event last year, which was hot, just not as HOT.

Chapeau to all who made it round.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #59 on: 09 July, 2018, 11:44:44 am »
Really pleased to finish, getting back to LB at 6pm, with two other riders, without whom I doubt I would have finished. The heat made it hard for me to digest my food so had to keep taking it really steady. We didn’t find the 24hr Macdonalds so after controlling in Wells we ended up having a 2 hour kip in a field at 4am.  After that we had lots of stops to cool down and drink. The heat and sharp climbs were really energy sapping and there was a lot less shade than the first day. I spent a total of 10 hours off the bike, which I think shows how hard the conditions were. Lovely route though, and lovely people. Nice to finish my first 600.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #60 on: 09 July, 2018, 12:35:52 pm »
Will do a proper write up but for now, left LB at 21:30, slept in bivvy at Pangborne, finished at 21:20.  Melting tar observed on the A30

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #61 on: 12 July, 2018, 01:01:24 pm »
Paperwork done and in the post to you Ian.

Exe-Buzzard

Well it was effing hot!

After double checking I’d forgotten my mitts I Arrived at the depart in good time 05:59 – going wrong from the start as usual where a cursory glance over the route sheet would have helped reduce my instant errors getting away from Eggzegeter.

The run to Wells was great rolling roads in the comparatively cool morning I had 2 x 1L bottles on the go anticipating heat in the daytime and minimal night options and this was enough at this time of day to get me there without stopping.

Onto Cirencester, the sun was increasing its focus and after the hills around Bath I had to refill at Malmesbury as I’d already gone through my bottles, they were near enough empty again when I arrived in Cirencester. Ice Creams, Milkshake and Crisps – bosh!

The roads between Cirencester, Brakley and Leighton Buzzard appeared to have gone on an exchange trip with the surface of the Sun, everywhere was incredibly yellow and there was no shade on any of the roads. I really started to regret not having gloves as my bar tape had become a slippy mess and the hoods were too hot (I see reason for white ones!).

After being cheered by a flag waving crowd of England fans outside a pub (I guessed they’d won) I stopped in Leighton Buzzard for a Chinese take-away and went to find some shade. It was pretty uneventful through Pangbourne and Chandlers Ford although Winchester and Salisbury offered a good range of drunks but the traffic was light and appeared “sensible”.

I’d started fairly tired so stopped for two naps between Salisbury and Sherbourne but once the sun came up things were ok again. Starting the ride I’d considered taking just a tool pack as the forecast was so good however overnight I did need my arm warmers as the high temperatures seemed to create super concentrated frost hollows/cold pockets in the low spots, at sunrise I saw mist spilling/pouring out of a field over the hedge onto the road like a dry ice machine.

Sherbourne to Exeter was suitably hilly – hillier than I remember.

I’d committed to riding straight through well before the weather we had was forecast as the electrification of the Severn Tunnel was going to make a meal of getting trains home to Cardiff on the Sunday. I think it worked out for the best, the thought of another day in that sun and heat did not appeal!

Other than the heat it was an enjoyable ride/route although I’d either underestimated the hills or how overweight I am. Best of all it gave me SR year #10 so subject to validation I got my Ultra Randonneur  :thumbsup:– where have the years gone  :'(