Author Topic: Cycle lanes of Leatherhead  (Read 18331 times)

Re: Cycle lanes of Leatherhead
« Reply #75 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »
Personally, I don't use any of these A27 pavement lanes.
I lived in Portchester before and about the time they put these in.  Heading east (Portsmouth bound) I would use the road, westward I would usually divert through Allaway Avenue to avoid the "facility" unless traffic was light, say a Sunday.

« Reply #76 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »
How tactile is the black obliterating paint used to paint the original line over. Have they introduced yet another hazard here for a cyclist to slip on in the wet?

« Reply #77 on: 29 March, 2010, 06:26:41 pm »
IF and I say IF again we as a society are going to have shared use footways where cycles and pedestrians and prams and dog walkers are allowed then why don't we just put up a sigh which says "This footway is a shared use facility - if you're going to cycle along it, please give way to slower people". That would save an absolute fortune on useless white lines, and indeed dangerous slippy white lines and intricately oriented tactile paving.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #78 on: 29 March, 2010, 06:31:53 pm »
They're awful.

Swindon does psyclepaths a lot better than this, although the local chavs do their best to resurface them with broken glass in summer (I have Marathon Plus tyres now) and some of them are habitually used for parking.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #79 on: 29 March, 2010, 07:47:16 pm »
I don't think I've ever before seen a case where a Council recognise that their paths are narrower than a bike, and then repaint them still narrower than a bike ???

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #80 on: 30 March, 2010, 07:49:31 am »
IF and I say IF again we as a society are going to have shared use footways where cycles and pedestrians and prams and dog walkers are allowed then why don't we just put up a sigh which says "This footway is a shared use facility - if you're going to cycle along it, please give way to slower people". That would save an absolute fortune on useless white lines, and indeed dangerous slippy white lines and intricately oriented tactile paving.
It would also require an attitude change. Which would be wonderful if extended - fast cars would then give way to slower cyclists and pedestrians.

I remember an article in some cycling magazine (I can't remember which, I think it might have been one called New Cyclist) back in the early 90s, which argued that a car driver seeing, for instance, a mother with small child and shopping bags waiting to cross the road in the rain, but not at an official crossing, really should stop and let them cross - not out of any legal obligation but simply because that is what a "decent person"* would do.

But we as a society are so far from that, that asking people to slow down because they share the road with others seems a little unlikely. But desirable. It could be tried, I suppose.

*I remember clearly the article used this phrase.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #81 on: 30 March, 2010, 11:11:53 am »
Well, I've been contacted by a journalist looking for some cyclists who regularly use Epsom Road to quote. I have declined (I find it a lot easier to get the council to Do Things when one hasn't been published in the local rag complaining) but if any other Leatherheathens would like their comments in print, pm me and I'll give you the journalist's contact details. 
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #82 on: 01 April, 2010, 12:45:44 pm »
I get CTC updates on my Facebook account.  Kathy's photos have just appeared credited to Nutty. 

The CTC have awarded Leatherhead Cycle Lane of the Year  ;D

« Reply #83 on: 01 April, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »
Years ago when very young I lived in Leatherhead in a good detached house with a very pleasant garden.  Now courtesy of Streetmap I can see the house still remains but they have built what can only be a housing estate round it.   Clearly money has spoken.

If that's what they've done in the rest of the town it must now be the pits. I shan't be going back in a hurry.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #84 on: 28 April, 2010, 05:01:38 pm »
According to the not-at-all biased flyer from the Lib Dems that came through the door yesterday, the entire debacle cost around £70,000!  :o

Anyone know how many pot holes that could have fixed?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #85 on: 28 April, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »
Anyone know how many pot holes that could have fixed?
I've seen average costs quoted anywhere from £50 - £250 per pothole. So 280 - 1,400 mended holes.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #86 on: 13 December, 2010, 06:35:43 am »
Reviving this thread, I see on the Surrey Mirror website that:

An investigation was held after work on Knoll Roundabout in Leatherhead cost £626,852 instead of the estimated £298,884.

On Tuesday, Surrey County Council auditors delivered a report to Mole Valley Local Committee on the project.

Part of the overspend was caused by the creation of a cycle path on Epsom Road, which was later removed after it was found to be dangerous.

Is this the same path?

Rest of the article is here.

Note that the councillor mentioned in the article is not me.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #87 on: 13 December, 2010, 07:06:54 am »
Reviving this thread, I see on the Surrey Mirror website that:

An investigation was held after work on Knoll Roundabout in Leatherhead cost £626,852 instead of the estimated £298,884.

On Tuesday, Surrey County Council auditors delivered a report to Mole Valley Local Committee on the project.

Part of the overspend was caused by the creation of a cycle path on Epsom Road, which was later removed after it was found to be dangerous.

Is this the same path?

Rest of the article is here.

Note that the councillor mentioned in the article is not me.

Good to see John Meudell (a CTC Councillor and Right to Ride Rep) getting some acknowledgement.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #88 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:44:09 am »
The path we mocked was indeed on Epsom Road, so probably the one mentioned.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #89 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:55:53 am »
What is needed for such daft paths is a video of a stunt rider crashing into the lampposts etc in a comical way.  It'll end up on prime-time TV, and hopefully the publicity will mean we'll have slightly fewer ludicrosities in future.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #90 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:38:20 am »
But we as a society are so far from that, that asking people to slow down because they share the road with others seems a little unlikely. But desirable. It could be tried, I suppose.

*I remember clearly the article used this phrase.

The cycle path I use to go into York City centre has these signs and I think they work reasonably well.  York of course has a history of uninterrupted bicycle use.
Move Faster and Bake Things