Author Topic: Cycle lanes of Leatherhead  (Read 18285 times)

Cycle lanes of Leatherhead
« on: 22 March, 2010, 03:52:46 pm »
They're painting some cycle lanes on the pavement of Epsom Road. They're fantastic. I'm going to go out with a camera once they've finished, but I reckon they'll give Warrington a run for the money.

They're only about 90cm wide, and yet they've managed to fit every single piece of street furniture in. It's amazing! ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Cycle lanes of Leatherhead
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:53:52 pm »
Well it is Surrey... what did you expect?

Mr R's parents live in Ashtead.  Surrey is worse than London to cycle around.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:56:46 pm »
Mr R's parents live in Ashtead.  Surrey is worse than London to cycle around.

bits of Surrey, maybe, but most of it's nowhere near as polluted and congested as central London.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »
Get em on the Warrington "crap cycle lane of the month" and we can all have a good laugh.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »
Mr R's parents live in Ashtead.  Surrey is worse than London to cycle around.

bits of Surrey, maybe, but most of it's nowhere near as polluted and congested as central London.

But it has a higher 'Dick in a Vanity Vehicle' ratio than London (with perhaps the exception of Kensington & Chelsea).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »
... I'm going to go out with a camera once they've finished, but I reckon they'll give Warrington a run for the money.

Any chance of a sneak preview?

Also, as per my grief in Southend, is there any benefit n contacting the Council/local cycling reps NOW and ask what the full plans will be?   I raised a similar issue just outside Southend and the workmen disappeared that night and never came back (fortunately before the paint went down).

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:21:51 pm »

Any chance of a sneak preview?

I'll try to to snap something with my phone as I cycle past later, but it'll be rush hour so the pavement will be blocked by cars.

For what it's worth, the pavement is regularly used by cyclists (it's outside a school and a nursery) and I think something that legitimises cycling there is a great idea and could help reduce the number of cars there in the morning. It's just the execution of the design which is poor, which is a shame when you compare it to the fantastic segregated cycle lane which runs between Leatherhead and Dorking.    

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:35:54 pm »
.... fantastic segregated cycle lane which runs between Leatherhead and Dorking.    

From what I recall (I haven't ridden round that way for some time now), the cycle paths on that bit of the A24 are one of the few bits of decent cycle path provision that I've been happy to use as required, though I tended to make more use of the tunnel crossing just south of the roundabout at Ryka's burger bar.

Quite handy for getting from Box Hill to Denbies to start the climb up on to Ranmore Common...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:39:50 pm »
... and I think something that legitimises cycling there is a great idea and could help reduce the number of cars there in the morning. It's just the execution of the design which is poor, ....

Haven't we heard all this before?   <Thinks about the Southend schemes>

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »
'Dick in a Vanity Vehicle'

Genius. :thumbsup:
Just as "chav" didn't start out as an acronym for "Council Housed And Violent", I'm sure that this isn't the origin for "DIVV".  But it should be.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »
Leatherhead is on my patch, I'll keep an eye out for them.

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2010, 08:48:30 pm »
ROFL

PMSL

I've had an email from Kathy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2010, 08:50:49 pm »
That is a work of great genius.

Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:04:52 pm »
How can councils get away with this  ???

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »
I am racking my brains to try to think of anything more utterly ridiculous that I have seen in a very long time. I live just outisde Leatherhead so am going to take a gander for myself this week. I suspect I might crash the car in a fit of incredulity....

I am almost speechless with the thought that someone in the local / county council actually planned this and thought it a good idea. I can only imagine what the poor chap(ess) who actually carried the work out must have thought... 'they've been at the confiscated LSD down at the town hall again Barry...'

« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »
They actually paid someone to paint those tiny little chevrons around each lamppost.
If it wasn't so absurd I would scream.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »
I suspect situationists
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:18:49 pm »
They actually paid someone to paint those tiny little chevrons around each lamppost.
If it wasn't so absurd I would scream.

The whole lot looks hand painted as well.   

gordon taylor

« Reply #18 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:09:50 pm »
I remember being astonished at Dutch cycle facilities - smooth, wide, big turning circles, priority at junctions, etc etc... then I realised that they had been conceived, designed and installed by people who cycle every day - and whose family members cycle every day. It's dead simple, really.

The laughable stuff above has been painted by someone who's never ridden a bike in a town.

« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:16:32 pm »
I like the lane passing the bus stop.  Ideal for mowing pedestrians down as they attempt to board their bus

« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »
Having seen the pics, I am struggling to trawl in my slack jaw......

No, really.

« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
Genius. Sheer Genius.

Bikes lanes by Kafka
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 23 March, 2010, 02:58:00 am »
How can councils get away with this  ???

They do it all the time. It might be funny if it were only on rare occasions. It isn't.

Nutty may need reminding that the the November 2004 FOTM originated from my camera and was submitted by me to Warrington...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #23 on: 23 March, 2010, 06:34:42 am »
If I were a resident of Leatherhead I'd definitely show up at the next Council Meeting to ask what the cost of this farce was, then have fun with the supplementary question.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2010, 09:16:48 am »
I like the lane passing the bus stop.  Ideal for mowing pedestrians down as they attempt to board their bus

The Chelsea Bridge cycle lane has been taken out now, I understand, but it used to go through several queues of passengers waiting for buses.
Getting there...