Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846847 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #2275 on: 23 February, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »
Branson by Tom Bower, actually interesting and thought provoking

Over halfway through this book, unbiased it does not come across as, vitriol drips from every click of the keyboard, maybe Branson screwed this guys wife but something has made him hate the bloke.
        I remember back in the late 70's in The Boat Inn @ Thrupp down the road from The Manor, Richard Branson was in there with some members of one of his bands and it came up in conversation that my wife (Barbara) was pretty good on folk guitar, RB leered over saying "come up to the Manor m'dear", knowing his reputation I instinctively replied "Foxtrot Oscar" thus condemning myself to a life of poverty and rollockins from said wife for possible  lack of fame. Ah well.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2276 on: 23 February, 2012, 06:11:28 pm »
Over halfway through this, unbiased it does not come across as, vitriol drips from every click of the keyboard, maybe Branson screwed this guys wife but something has made him hate the bloke.

Maybe he's listened to Tubular Bells?

I like Tom Bower and consider him to be a journalist of great integrity. His book Broken Dreams, about corruption in football, is a must-read for anyone who still thinks of it as "the beautiful game".

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2277 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:27:14 am »
Marcus Aurelius - Frank McLynn

A huge biography of the Stoic Philosopher and Emperor. He's the one who is Emperor at the beginning of Gladiator by the way. A fascinating man and it seems genuinely a nice guy in so much as you can be nice when your Emperor of Rome. Was fine about being criticised by the Senate or playwrites and even tried to have the man who tried to usurp him exiled rather than killed (but a centurion got their first and ran the usurper through). Spent his first 40 odd years in Rome or the environs then when trouble broke out on the Danube border turned out to be a great general (in the Eisenhower mode ie he did the planning and admin and let fighting generals handle the battles) too even though he had zero military experience. A shame his son and successor was such a nutter.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2278 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:43:10 am »
Just ordered Pavel and I which is a good read according to the beeb and others

http://danvyleta.com/reviews/

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2279 on: 26 February, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »
I am just finishing It's not about the bike.  Guess everyone knows the "story" of Lance Armstrong but the book has really bought home the enormity of his triumph against cancer and the triumph of his return...an incredible read.

« Reply #2280 on: 27 February, 2012, 11:28:26 am »
Finished Complicity by Iain Banks, and currently reading Whatever by Michel Houellebecq.

LindaG

« Reply #2281 on: 29 February, 2012, 06:07:36 pm »
Just finished The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmell.

Disappointing.  I can only think I'm not the target audience, because I found the narrator completely unsympathetic.  She filled me with pity - which is not terribly erotic.

The best part of the book was the end.  The description of new motherhood was, in fact, quite beautiful and I read it again just for the pleasure of it.

Never mind eh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2282 on: 29 February, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »
Just finished The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmell.

Intrigued by your report, I looked it up on Amazon and read some of the reviews. The words "shocking" and "disturbing" are bandied about a fair bit. Thing is, the only book I've read in which the sex scenes were genuinely shocking and/or disturbing was American Psycho, and somehow I doubt this is covering the same kind of territory.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LindaG

« Reply #2283 on: 29 February, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »
I found it neither shocking or disturbing.  Mundane, if anything.

Winter in Madrid
« Reply #2284 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »
Now on "Winter in Madrid" by CJ Sansom, quite good so far
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2285 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »
Just finished Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds. An ok story but I wouldn't say the characters were up to his usual standard.

Now reading one of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books, just for a bit of light relief and I know I'll get through it quickly, and it was free.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2286 on: 29 February, 2012, 10:42:27 pm »
A friend has recommended S@motność w Sieci (Loneliness on the Net) by Janusz Wiśniewski, letting me borrow a translation into Ukrainian she just finished reading.

As one could guess from the title, it's not coming across as a cheery bit of writing.  I'm persevering because of her recommendation (though I have my suspicions) and because it's been ages since I've read any proper literature.

Finally got around to finishing this.  In spite being a bit of a romantic, I'm not really keen on 'romance' as a genre.  That said, I think it is well written (though the translation goofs were irksome).  But what I found quite annoying was the way the author messes with timelines.  I'm OK with flashbacks, but when movement from one to the next is in the same direction.  These were all over the place.  They work in this story, but can be a bit jarring.

As mentioned in the Grumble thread, I had to refer to a dictionary quite frequently.  Nought to do with the writer or translator, just kept coming across quite a few words which were new to me.  Thankfully around 1/3 of the way in my need for the dictionary drastically decreased, making the reading a bit more enjoyable.

It's still a mystery as to why my friend recommended this book.  When I meet up to return the book I must find a subtle way to to find out her motives.

If you like romances, and don't mind tragedy, I recommend this book (in a translation of your choice, of course).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2287 on: 01 March, 2012, 07:42:50 am »
Just finished Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds. An ok story but I wouldn't say the characters were up to his usual standard.

Now reading one of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books, just for a bit of light relief and I know I'll get through it quickly, and it was free.
There's a new book in that series out this week. The author is doing an event as part of the Essex Book Festival at our church (big 330 seat venue in central Colchester) which was sold out within a month.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2288 on: 01 March, 2012, 07:52:37 am »
just finished the autobiog of Chrissie Wellington, world champion triathlete. She's remarkable in lots of ways, not just that she didnt start triathlon (or any competitive sport, really) till she was about 30 then just kept winning stuff, but also brutally honest about her relationships with food and other people. 

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2289 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:24:15 pm »
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Very funny and quirky (reminds me of The Bromeliads by Terry Pratchett). I'm only a bit into it, but it's had me laughing out loud and it revolves around characters and plots in other famous books, difficult to explain, read it though.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #2290 on: 01 March, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »
I'm about a hundred pages into 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King. A weighty tome for sure but the start is encouraging.

That's lord of the flies Stephen King style that is. I enjoyed it.

Currently reading 11/22/63 - which is a fantastically interesting concept, and mostly well implemented, but I am a bit bogged down in the middle at the moment.

« Reply #2291 on: 04 March, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »
I`ve just finished Frank Bruno `Fighting Back` I`m not a great boxing fan but I`ve met Frank a few time when he lived in Stondon Massey so it was an interesting read

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #2292 on: 05 March, 2012, 06:29:32 pm »
Just finished the epic Endymion omnibus by Dan Simmons, followed by Raiders of the Lost Car Park by Robert Rankin for a bit of light relief.

Just started The Centauri Device by M. John Harrison.

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2293 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:29:39 pm »
"Snuff" by Mr T. Pratchett.

One of his best yet.

Shame.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2294 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:37:37 pm »
Is Terry being sardonic there?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2295 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:07:58 pm »
Just finished "Inside the Giant Machine: Confessions of a Former Amazon.com Technologist". I liked doing business with Amazon a lot more before I read this.

« Reply #2296 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:28:46 pm »
I have recently read:

Me Before you- Jojo Moyes  Excellent read. I would highly recommend it.

Before I go to Sleep- S J Watson.  Another fantastic book, took me by surprise. A real insight into trauma induced amnesia.

Against All Odds - Paul Connelly.  A moving autobiography, although some of it just a touch self-congratulatory.

Till Undeath Do Us Part- Anthony Camber.  Not my usual genre of book but written by a friend of a friend. Gay zombie stories are certainly 'different'!

The Wicked Girls- Alex Marwood.  A gripping page turner. Also highly recommended.

One Cold Night - Katia Lief.  A good read with suspense and believable characters.

Currently reading:
How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog - Chad Orzel.  My dogs are being a bit slow on the uptake so far, but I stopped studying physics after O' level so never had the joys of quantum physics at school. I might actually learn something (whether it will be useful or not is another matter).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2297 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
I heard Radio 4 Extra re-running the Father Brown Mysteries, with Andrew Sachs as the unassuming priest.  Ingenious and funny.  So I downloaded the complete collection.  I'd forgotten what a hilarious turn of phrase Chesterton has.  I find some of his religious mcguffin a bit heavy-handed, but his heart seemed to be in the right place.
Getting there...

« Reply #2298 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:56:38 pm »
White Fang.

« Reply #2299 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »
The first chapter of "White Fang" is some of Jack London's best storytelling. The whole book is good, but the first chapter is really good.