Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846831 times)

ian

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3750 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:42:54 am »
I read the first 50 pages last night I didn't suffer any kind of CCM reaction. I confess it's quite nicely written – I generally can't handle the sweaty, overwrought prose. I will ask Jess to rate it at the end. I hope she doesn't have to kill David Mitchell. I quite liked Peep Show.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3751 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:46:05 am »
I like this review of The Bone Clocks - does a good job of picking out both what's good about it and its flaws - but be warned, it contains lots of SPOILERS...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/08/soul-cycle

It is flawed, I'll admit that, but I still loved it. The big question is whether or not all this dazzling storytelling amounts to anything worth saying. Maybe, maybe not, but the corollary question is: does it really matter if it doesn't?

Read that a while back.  A right touch of the Dennis Wheatleys at times, but tremendously enjoyable - which is what fiction is about for me.

Wife bought me an early PKD, Martian Timeslip, a while back.  Despite his being practically deified among SF authors I couldn't read it; it's just too stale.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3752 on: 10 March, 2015, 01:47:18 pm »
Do you work for Audible, citoyen? It's their deal of the day @ £3.49 (and in My Library now)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3753 on: 10 March, 2015, 02:24:51 pm »
Do you work for Audible, citoyen? It's their deal of the day @ £3.49 (and in My Library now)

No, but maybe I should - making money out of liking stuff is a good wheeze.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3754 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:08:04 am »
Hanoi's War: An International History of the War for Peace in Vietnam.

As the title says, it's the story of the war in Vietnam from the (North) Vietnamese perspective.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3755 on: 13 March, 2015, 10:38:44 am »
No One Here Gets Out Alive ~ Jerry Hopkins & Danny Sugerman.  Biography of Mr Mojo Risin'.

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3756 on: 14 March, 2015, 03:16:46 pm »
The Race Against The Stasi ~ Herbie Sykes.  The tale of East German cyclist Dieter Wiedemann, the Peace Race and various beastly totalitarianism fans.  Only just started but it comes highly recommended.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3757 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:33:36 am »
I finally got round to reading Stanisław Lem's The Star Diaries, which I purchased years ago entirely on the basis of a newsgroup sig.

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3758 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:35:46 am »
I finally got round to reading Stanisław Lem's The Star Diaries, which I purchased years ago entirely on the basis of a newsgroup sig.

(click to show/hide)

That's Lem for you. Haven't read that one. Or if I have, not for years, like maybe 40.  I liked The Invincible most, I think.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3759 on: 15 March, 2015, 11:29:55 am »
Oddly enough, I knew what that was going to be before clickying the Spoiler wossname.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3760 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:50:34 am »
The Race Against The Stasi ~ Herbie Sykes.  The tale of East German cyclist Dieter Wiedemann, the Peace Race and various beastly totalitarianism fans.  Only just started but it comes highly recommended.

I have finished this.  According to $STASI_STOOGE Wiedemann not only wanted to represent the DDR at the Olympic Games but also to be a Master Lathe Operator :o  It's easy to laugh at this sort of thing with the benefit of fifty+ years of West German fascist propaganda hindsight, to say nothing of the articles from the Ossi press (BRITONS would have chased the editor up a tree and set fire to it, I feel) and makes you wonder how they got away with it for so long.

Now on "Helter Skelter" by Vincent Bugliosi with Curt Gentry.  No surprise that it's about the Manson Family; Bugliosi was the Deputy DA who prosecuted the Tate & LaBianca murders.  Any fundamental flaws it may have are so far masked by its superficial flaws, notably that it looks like a piss-poor photocopy picked up in a Saigon market rather than something for which I paid eight quid in Waterstones >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3761 on: 16 March, 2015, 06:39:04 pm »
Oddly enough, I knew what that was going to be before clickying the Spoiler wossname.

;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3762 on: 20 March, 2015, 08:45:48 am »
This week's read is "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer, the first in the Southern Reach trilogy.

Quite good so far.

Now onto "Authority", the second in the trilogy.

Still have NFI what is happening.

Now onto "Acceptance".

(click to show/hide)

I dunno....

Finished it, Acceptance was the most difficult to read, as it was really stilited for the first half of the book.  It then picked up and whizzed through to the end.  It is maybe a bit too long, and ...

(click to show/hide)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3763 on: 20 March, 2015, 08:54:35 am »
The Woman In White - Wilkie Collins

Didn't know what to read next so my wife suggested this. Took a bit of convincing but I'm loving it. A rollicking good read, replete with a cast of Damsels In Distress and Evil Italian Counts. It's as wordy as you'd expect of a mid-19th century novel but Old Man Collins has a pretty good turn of phrase.

And unlike most Famous Classics Wot I Never Read, I've so far gone through life without hearing how this one ends so no spoilers, please!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3764 on: 20 March, 2015, 11:36:02 am »
(click to show/hide)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3765 on: 24 March, 2015, 09:10:26 pm »
Divergent.

It was recommended to me as a good read.  I'm afraid I found it pretty mediocre, even for teen fiction.  I don't intend to read the rest of the series.   Just silly, and superficial.

Next:  either Bring Up The Bodies, Mad Addam, or Life After Life.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #3766 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:20:51 pm »
I'm currently re-reading Blindsight by Peter Watts, as a warm up for the sequel Echopraxia.

This is not your typical humans meet aliens first contact story...... the "humans" are not quite baseline and the aliens are very alien indeed. 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3767 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:23:29 pm »
After a false start last summer I am now tackling Carl Hiaasen in earnest.  And larrffing.  A lots.

ian

« Reply #3768 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:41:18 am »
Divergent.

It was recommended to me as a good read.  I'm afraid I found it pretty mediocre, even for teen fiction.  I don't intend to read the rest of the series.   Just silly, and superficial.

Next:  either Bring Up The Bodies, Mad Addam, or Life After Life.

What exactly is the deal with teen young adult fiction? No this isn't stand up, I'm genuinely a bit confused, because it's everywhere. What did young adults read before young adult fiction was invented? How did they survive before we manufactured a genre that didn't solely feature them? Was I irrevocably damaged by reading adult literature? No, not that kind of adult literature, the other, the one with words.

I saw a couple of Hunger Games movies on a plane and they were a bit meh. Less young adult, more simple mind. Look at that plot  st r  e    t      c         h.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3769 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:42:49 am »
Redeployment by Phil Klay.

It is shit, badly written, assumes you have a knowledge of what US military acronyms mean and doesn't follow any order.

Avoid.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3770 on: 25 March, 2015, 11:34:01 am »
Redeployment by Phil Klay.

It is shit, badly written, assumes you have a knowledge of what US military acronyms mean and doesn't follow any order.

Avoid.

See also Dale Brown ect. ect.

« Reply #3771 on: 25 March, 2015, 11:43:13 am »

What exactly is the deal with teen young adult fiction? No this isn't stand up, I'm genuinely a bit confused, because it's everywhere. What did young adults read before young adult fiction was invented? How did they survive before we manufactured a genre that didn't solely feature them? Was I irrevocably damaged by reading adult literature? No, not that kind of adult literature, the other, the one with words.

I saw a couple of Hunger Games movies on a plane and they were a bit meh. Less young adult, more simple mind. Look at that plot  st r  e    t      c         h.

What is now Adult fiction of course, I remember reading She (Rider Haggard) and Riddle of the sands (Erskine Childers) along with various rubbish (Zane Grey) at quite a tender age and thoroughly enjoying them, the writing (esp in the likes of the first two) coupled with a young imagination meant that with a few strokes of the pen the reader was "there".

There are some very good modern writers that can do this however there is also a lot of dross, was it always so ?

:)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3772 on: 25 March, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »
It is, I think, about time I had another crack at reading the combined A Feast For Crows/A Dance With Dragons (books four and five of A Song of Ice and Fire).

I haz a spreadsheet. Reading a book shouldn't need a spreadsheet.  :facepalm:

Nearly two months later and I've finally finished it. Hard work with all the swapping, but not too much agro on a Kindle - trying to do it with two heavy paperbacks would have been a pain.

Next up, some more Pratchett I think. Then back to the Tolkien.

red marley

« Reply #3773 on: 25 March, 2015, 12:56:43 pm »
What exactly is the deal with teen young adult fiction? No this isn't stand up, I'm genuinely a bit confused, because it's everywhere. What did young adults read before young adult fiction was invented? How did they survive before we manufactured a genre that didn't solely feature them?

As an young teenager in the early 1980s I very much enjoyed the 'young adult' fiction of Bernard Ashley (Terry on the Fence and Break in the Sun were two favourites) and Joan Lingard's Kevin and Sadie books. Not that new.

ian

« Reply #3774 on: 25 March, 2015, 01:12:43 pm »
Oh I do get that, it's just the rather cynical marketing (after all, what were Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer), and a perception that YA is slapped on anything made to appeal to the valuable teen audience. There's also a faint whiff of American prudishness, where teens of course should be protected from the horrors of foul language and the throbbingly educational and much re-re-read sex scene on p172, the dread 'age-appropriate' material that's the bane of any US librarian. As a voracious reader in my teens, I emptied the library of practically anything and everything. In all honesty, I'm glad I read James Herbert and Stephen King rather than have to wade through Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. And I also got to digest Joyce, Hardy, and pretty much all the classics. Which is why I'm qualified to use big words inappropriately on the internet.