Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846922 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3925 on: 14 July, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »
To kill a mockingbird. Never read it before, and as it's all over the news, I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. I've seen the film a few times though.

« Reply #3926 on: 15 July, 2015, 06:58:02 am »
To kill a mockingbird. Never read it before, and as it's all over the news, I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. I've seen the film a few times though.

I read "To Kill A Mockingbird" not too long ago, and thought it was excellent. "Go Set a Watchman" is next in line on my Kindle, the reviews have really sparked my interest.

I'm currently working on "Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and Everest"", by Wade Davis. The description of World War I is simply horrifying in every way.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3927 on: 15 July, 2015, 08:36:09 pm »

Am currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

I'll be interested in what you make of it. I thought it was an interesting idea but almost every page screamed "TV adaptation" in the writing.

Am currently reading The Four-Dimensional Human by Laurence Scott, which is pretentious and thought-provoking in equal proportions.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3928 on: 15 July, 2015, 09:20:14 pm »

Am currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

I'll be interested in what you make of it. I thought it was an interesting idea but almost every page screamed "TV adaptation" in the writing.

It was OK, a bit holiday-lite reading I suppose, not the sort of thing I would want to read all the time but alright while I found some other books to read.

Since then I've bought Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One man's quest to uncover the books that taste forgot, as a recommendation from a friend. It's quite amusing but I find that I don't really lose myself in that sort of book.
Coming up are:
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
The Amulet Of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy Book 1) by Jonathon Stroud
The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Improper Stories by Saki

Hopefully I'll find something satisfying in that lot...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3929 on: 15 July, 2015, 09:32:23 pm »

The author writes Radio 4 afternoon plays. I felt this was readily apparent in the novel.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3930 on: 15 July, 2015, 10:13:47 pm »
This Unit commends Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Sequence to the House.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3931 on: 16 July, 2015, 03:24:17 pm »
This one recommends The Girl With All The Gifts.

I'm currently listening to some shit by Charlaine Harris. No Sukey, but just as dreadful. Love it. Haven't got to any execrable sex scenes yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3932 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:26:59 pm »
^very good to the 2 units above.

« Reply #3933 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:04:39 am »
Finished Notwithstanding by Louis de Bernieres during the week.  A collection of short stories, none exceptional, but I enjoyed The Girt Pike, Silly Bugger (1) and Silly Bugger (2)

Just getting into A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  I hope it starts going somewhere, soon.

fuzzy

« Reply #3934 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:38:59 am »
Working my way through some war memoirs a'la Spike Milligoon. Currently on Mussolini- his part in my downfall.

That they are 'of their time' is evident by the language. Copious use of Wog, Iti and the N word...........

« Reply #3935 on: 23 July, 2015, 06:27:16 am »
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

The story of two sisters, living in France during WWII.  One lives in the country and suffers, badly, the other joins the resistance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nightingale-Kristin-Hannah/dp/0312577222

Sounded right up my wife's street, downloaded onto the kindle I bought her as a holiday present before we go away. Thanks for mentioning it here.

I have just finished it, I really really enjoyed it.

So did my missus. She averages a book a week and said this was the best she'd read in a long  time. I'm not a great reader but enjoyed Peter may, Entry Island and now on my other hol book guy martins autobiography which is not as good as I'd hoped. If your not into motorbike racing forget it

fuzzy

« Reply #3936 on: 23 July, 2015, 09:33:51 am »

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3937 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:55:02 pm »
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
There was a bit in that that made me say "WHAT THE FUCK?" out loud on the bus.

I have just started Finders Keepers by Stephen King, and I'm about halfway through The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3938 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:57:27 pm »
Armada by Ernest Cline, a disappointing follow up to Ready Player One.

« Reply #3939 on: 24 July, 2015, 02:20:27 pm »
Merivel by Rose Tremain. Can't help but think that I should have read Restoration first.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3940 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:03:58 pm »
I have just started Finders Keepers by Stephen King

I enjoyed that, though it's starting to look like an ongoing series.  This may or may not be accounted a Good Thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3941 on: 24 July, 2015, 06:33:42 pm »
Ken Follett's Fall of Giants, picked up for 99p as a Kindle special.

A historical novel that takes as its backdrop the events and social framework leading up to and through WWI. I keep swinging from exasperation for the plot clichés to admiration for the quality of writing that keeps you rolling along. The cast of characters is set almost too wide, as he lays out events on the world stage; it gives him the ability to add historical detail and social comment as part of the narrative. If nothing else, he does Welsh Wales very well indeed (I think his background is Welsh?) and weaves the story with skill around the protagonists and historical events, using the different characters to provide alternative perspective albeit in a self conscious way sometimes.

Just over half way through, will have to see if I keep going through others in the trilogy.

Started Winter of the World. I forgive him the occasional clunkiness of the story, plot and prose off the back of the way it is formed around real events, how he brings to life the range of ways people reacted to the rise of fascism. I can see myself working through them all.

Jakob

« Reply #3942 on: 24 July, 2015, 10:52:13 pm »
The Martian. So far, very very good.

ian

« Reply #3943 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:37:46 am »
The Martian. So far, very very good.

God, is everyone broke? It's shit. Don't make me do the Dan Brown thing again to prove it. I got mental scars from that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3944 on: 25 July, 2015, 05:46:48 pm »
Oscar & Lucinda - Peter Carey

It's taken me several weeks to get anywhere with this, largely because I haven't had the mental capacity for reading lately, but in fact it's one of those books that's so good, you don't really want to come to the end of it anyway. But end it must - there are less than 100 pages to go and the fate of one of the main characters, revealed early on, can't be far away now...

Beautiful writing, totally original, and a compelling story. I knew it was supposed to be good but it has far exceeded my expectations.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #3945 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »
Don't make me do the Dan Brown thing again to prove it. I got mental scars from that.

Oh go on, it's worth it.  For the rest of us

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3946 on: 25 July, 2015, 09:16:52 pm »
Don't make me do the Dan Brown thing again to prove it. I got mental scars from that.

Oh come on, it might not be English Lit but its 10^eleventy better than anything Dan Brown can excrete.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3947 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:39:46 pm »

Oh come on, it might not be English Lit but its 10^eleventy better than anything Dan Brown can excrete.

I think it's a pretty realistic account of what wouldn't happen if Someone From The Internet was allowed to be an astronaut.

And better than Dan Brown.

« Reply #3948 on: 26 July, 2015, 07:30:00 am »
How to build a girl. Caitlin Moran.
Fairly amusing. In fact I laughed out loud on the train journey.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

ian

« Reply #3949 on: 26 July, 2015, 02:09:07 pm »
Yes, but they don't let people from the internet be astronauts, and this is probably why. I confess I didn't finish The Martian, which is something, because I have a fairly high tolerance (I was trained at the Steven Segal Academy of High Cheese). But it did read like being force-fed someone's not terribly interesting blog. Which might be fine, but you're stuck on Mars and fighting for survival. Surely a bit of that might bleed into what you're writing? Oh, hold on, I'm going to use an exclamation mark! That'll do it. Yay! Your all so gay!

So, we've got teen blogger stuck on Mars. Let's run with that plot. Let's forget about metaphor, simile, allusion, and all that rhetorical junk, and line up some dull pedestrian words and make them cross the page. Let's make sure that our character has no interior life, and while we're at, no exterior life. Wait! Phew, got that exclamation mark out of way. We learn those at Astronaut School!

Then there's the episodic problem-solution plot. It's like Macgyver without Richard Dean Anderson. That like ice cream without ice and cream. Problem announces itself, endless dull exposition follows, and then yay, saved again! Mars is so gay! I like disco. He doesn't seem terribly concerned about his constant iterations with near disaster. People get more animated trying to find the exit from a large car park.

Can it be saved by the science? Well, given the number of errors in the chapters I read, no. You might as well make up some shit and have Morgan Freeman narrate it – that I can believe. Firstly, as I said before, it starts off with a wind storm on Mars. Now, I've never been to Mars, but I'm sure the wind has to work pretty hard to get dust into the atmosphere, even given the lower gravity, owing to the fact the surface pressure on Mars is about 0.6% of what sea-level is on Earth. There's simply not enough atmosphere to blow over large objects.

Anyway, my will to live locked itself in the cupboard under the stair are refused to come out until stopped reading the chapter about potatoes. Then my inner botanist, so aggrieved at the laboured nonsense, went to join it. They'd only come out when I promised not to read any more.

Sorry, it's just one those (many) things I don't get. I could ignore it, but people keep saying 'you should read it, it's great'. No, I really shouldn't and no really, it isn't. And to prove it, Ridley Scott is making it into a movie. Ain't no come back from that: we've seen the awesome suckiness of Prometheus.