Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846856 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #3975 on: 26 August, 2015, 12:12:38 pm »
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, for such a terrible subject it is compelling reading,
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3976 on: 26 August, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »
I don't agree with Beevor's politics, nor, necessarily, with his broader conclusions, but his meticulous attention to the detail shows an astonishing amount of research, and he has a way of developing a very complex situation into a readable narrative without falling into the trap of oversimplifying.
Getting there...

« Reply #3977 on: 26 August, 2015, 04:31:01 pm »
Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary, as recommended by some woman on Radio 2 a few weeks back.  Grim but gripping.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3978 on: 26 August, 2015, 04:49:25 pm »
Whacked 3,400 words out yesterday and today so relaxing by reading something I somehow never got round to--Cold Comfort Farm.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #3979 on: 26 August, 2015, 07:09:19 pm »
I don't agree with Beevor's politics, nor, necessarily, with his broader conclusions, but his meticulous attention to the detail shows an astonishing amount of research, and he has a way of developing a very complex situation into a readable narrative without falling into the trap of oversimplifying.

Quite so, William L Shirer was exactly the same with The rise and fall of the third reich which I read because I wanted to understand how on earth the world let it happen, it is also the only book I have kept concealed because I couldn't stand the possibility of people seeing the swastika on the spine and misunderstanding, pathetic ? possibly but if it made me recoil in disgust then  ::-)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3980 on: 26 August, 2015, 07:29:54 pm »
Both the dust jacket and the bit of the cover over the spine are long gone from my copy of The Rise & Fall Of The Third Reich but OTOH it was a freebie.

ETA: he dies at the end.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3981 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:28:48 pm »
I saw the movie as well  :o (well, a few really, the end never changed)  :D

« Reply #3982 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:52:50 pm »
Whacked 3,400 words out yesterday and today so relaxing by reading something I somehow never got round to--Cold Comfort Farm.

I hope you enjoy it as much as this house does/did.  We still kletter the dishes.

« Reply #3983 on: 30 August, 2015, 07:20:29 pm »
Ineffably sad now I've finished The Shepherd's Crown. I tried to eke it out, but it wasn't to be, a bit of a tearful read at times.

He's been part of my life for the last 30+ years, it hardly seems possible that he has gone, but he left us with a good one. His ideas will soar long after he has gone, because they aren't his ideas - they are ours.

Granny Wetherwax is everywhere.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3984 on: 31 August, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »
More detailed appraisal once I have left the land that the Internet forgot, aka Morocco, but I have managed to read my way through all but 2 of the Man Booker prize long list.

My favourites, so far are The Chimes and A Little Life.

Still to read are The Year of the Runaway (half way through) and A Short History of Seven Killings.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3985 on: 31 August, 2015, 06:45:37 pm »
Good news: Coming soon: The Hanging Tree, the sixth instalment of Ben Aaronovitch's very splendid and worthwhile "Rivers Of London" series (or Peter Grant, if you prefer).
Bad news: Not soon enough; it's published on November 19th.

ian

« Reply #3986 on: 31 August, 2015, 08:10:36 pm »
Re-read Fight Club because the Kindlebot for some reason decided to reorder my recently read list into a list of things I'd read at some point that was might have only been coincidentally recent, and I had a train journey to Southampton to contend with (and I'm reading a dead tree number9dream which I'd found on my wife's bookshelf but had forgotten to take with me). I figured Basingstoke and Palahniuk seemed a perfect pairing.

Still marvellous and a good reminder not to ever eat anything at a posh catered do. And you will wander around for two days afterwards talking about yourself in the third person. I am ian's righteous indignation.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3987 on: 31 August, 2015, 10:14:45 pm »
Good news: Coming soon: The Hanging Tree, the sixth instalment of Ben Aaronovitch's very splendid and worthwhile "Rivers Of London" series (or Peter Grant, if you prefer).
Bad news: Not soon enough; it's published on November 19th.

Yes, that's ages away yet.

This morning I finished the latest of the Laundry Archives by Charles Stross - The Annihilation Score. Snaffled it up in a couple of days.
Before that I read the first of the 'Bartimaeus' books - The Amulet of Samarkand. Better than Hairy Potter but I don't think I'll bother buying the rest until I get desperate for something to read.

Before that I read Station Eleven by Emily Mandel St John. It's post apocalyptic but there are no zombies and the story arc tied up quite nicely - also - Calvin & Hobbes gets a mention so it must be good!

Not sure what I'm going to read next out of the pile.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3988 on: 31 August, 2015, 10:48:38 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg has just acquired the first book in some other series by Jonathan "Bartimaeus" Stround but is still ploughing through the breezeblock-sized biography of Leonard Cohen I gave her for her birthday.  Which was in January.

New Rebus isn't out until November either chiz.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3989 on: 31 August, 2015, 11:57:35 pm »
Just finished "The Killing III" by David Hewson, based on the TV series of that ilk.  Basically the same story though he mucks about with the somewhat ambiguous ending, and drags Troels Hartmann back as the PM, which means the return of Morten Weber instead of the PM's idiot brother (played on the box by the wonderfully-named Jonatan Spang).  He should have had Birgitte Nyborg instead for some real crossover action, and maybe Martin Rohde could have been let out of prison to help Lund as well.  Actually the novels are pretty good in their own right; way better than most film or TV tie-ins anyway.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3990 on: 02 September, 2015, 07:44:44 pm »
Ineffably sad now I've finished The Shepherd's Crown. I tried to eke it out, but it wasn't to be, a bit of a tearful read at times.

He's been part of my life for the last 30+ years, it hardly seems possible that he has gone, but he left us with a good one. His ideas will soar long after he has gone, because they aren't his ideas - they are ours.

Granny Wetherwax is everywhere.
Absolutely. I cried at times, laughed out loud many times and feel a real sense of loss. I hope nobody feels the need to 'continue' his work.

On the other hand, who was the pretentious knob in the Graun who dismissed all of TP's books as 'mediocre' and then admitted he had never actually read one?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #3991 on: 02 September, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.   A really good and interesting start! The Moon is destroyed in the first sentence!  its a book of two halves though, one set now ish and the second half 5000 years in the future. I found the first half gripping, the second half not quite so much, but an enjoyable read. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3992 on: 03 September, 2015, 11:39:16 am »
Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley - funny but rather dated.

Laura Lamont's Life In Pictures by Emma Straub - not sure why I picked this one up, probably because it was a cheap Kindle offer. It's pretty awful but a very easy read, which suits me fine at the moment. Straub seems to think she's the new F Scott Fitzgerald. She isn't. Part of the problem is that despite the fairly accurate historical setting based on real people and places, all the studios and stars have been fictionalised, which largely prevents me giving a fuck about any of them. And I can't help thinking there's a much more interesting story begging to be told here. The narrative is told from a limited third person point of view, which is the worst of both worlds. You don't see anything outside Laura's restricted purview, but nor do you ever feel you really get inside Laura's head, which is a shame because she could potentially make a brilliant unreliable narrator if the story were cast as a first person memoir. Instead, it's just sentimental tosh about the golden age of Hollywood with nothing original to say on the subject.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #3993 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:34:17 pm »
Faster after 50, Joe Friel.

Well... you gotta try, haven't you?  ::-)

rob

« Reply #3994 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »

Looks like we're all at it.   I just bought the Cyclist Training Bible.   Resisting the urge to fork out on a power meter as it will make me even more dull than I already am.

Chris S

« Reply #3995 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »

Looks like we're all at it.   I just bought the Cyclist Training Bible.   Resisting the urge to fork out on a power meter as it will make me even more dull than I already am.

Haha! Don't worry - you'll only set off fboab's alarms if you start posting stats on here  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3996 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:42:10 pm »
Clothes Music Boys by Viviane Albertine.

Apparently the trade copy had the original title (Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys) but my copy doesn't.

Our libraries have it under 2 ISBNs, but with the same (longer) title. <boggles>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3997 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:50:53 pm »
(sorry to book-stalk you, Ruthie!)
Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioli - the first Charlie Mortdecai novel.

Hilariously, whimsically violent and terrifying.  It's a story about art theft, but written in a style that owes more than a little to PG Wodehouse.  I adored it.  Apparently they made of a film of it, which was a massive flop, and I'm not surprised because the genius of this book is all in the writing.

Also, a bit of it takes place at Carnforth Station and Leighton Moss RSPB reserve, and I've bin there on m'bike, so I enjoyed that too.
This sounds bloody brilliant! I avoided the film (which sounds like that sad thing - a bad Johnnie Depp movie), but the books sound right up my street. My library elf has instructions for a trip tomorrow.

I do love Depp though - I bet if I watched the trailer for the film, his portrayal will be stuck in my head when I read the books. Which would be terribly unliterary of me /booksnob
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3998 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:37:33 pm »
(sorry to book-stalk you, Ruthie!)

No problem at all, mattc.

Would you like a jelly baby?
Milk please, no sugar.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3999 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »
Gosh, that's very kind of you!

Not what I expected amongst the shelves of the Fiction section. (Or have I strayed into Auto-biographies? ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------