Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846713 times)

fuzzy

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4100 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:41:09 am »
Re-reading Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Enjoying it more than I did 1st time about 30 years ago

A book I have read a several of times. One of those I don't tire of.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4101 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:07:09 am »
Today's #kindlebargains:

Black Swan Green and number9dream by David Mitchell

That's my middlebrow pretentiousness quota filled for a while at least. Will be interesting to see how his early stuff compares to the later ones I've read (Cloud Atlas, Thousand Autumns & Bone Clocks).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

red marley

« Reply #4102 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:23:47 am »
Black Swan Green is not middlebrow pretentious at all. It's a semi-autobiographical coming of age novel. Quite different to his other stuff, and one of my favourites of his.

« Reply #4103 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:30:10 am »
I'm always getting David Mitchell confused with David Nicholls, whose Us I am reading at the moment.  All three of the main protagonists seem almost totally twattish to me, so I don't feel as sympathetic to them or as eager to find out what happens to them ("emotionally invested", I suppose) as I perhaps would like to be.  But it certainly has its moments.

citoyen

« Reply #4104 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:37:10 am »
Jo - yeah, I'm being facetious. But I'm sure you realised that. I was vaguely aware that his early stuff is generally regarded to be very different to the later books, but he can do little wrong in my eyes, pretentious or not. Very much looking forward to reading both.

ian

« Reply #4105 on: 23 October, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »
I'm reading number9dream at the moment (I'm really going to need a night of Seagal movies to address the balance). I quite like it, though the prose strains in places (the wealth of some of his writing is breathtaking but it does in places get a bit too breathless), and the bit I'm reading at the moment I'm not sure about (the surrealistic anthropomorphic animals) which, unless it's going somewhere, seems to be oddness for oddness' sake.

Fucksticks though, I paid £5.99 for this the other day.

fuzzy

« Reply #4106 on: 25 October, 2015, 05:08:43 pm »
Just finished Frankenstein and commenced The Great Gatsby, both free books on Kindle.

I wasn't sure with Frankenstein but I think this was due a) to the period style in which it was written and b) to the enormous difference between the book and any film offering based on it. My reading menu will cerainly change and develop as I discover more on Kindle.

« Reply #4107 on: 25 October, 2015, 08:58:57 pm »
Best ever free book on Kindle is The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. :thumbsup:  No Name is pretty darn good as well.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4108 on: 25 October, 2015, 10:18:11 pm »
I got Neil Gaiman's Stardust as a Kindle freebie - a link just appeared in my inbox.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #4109 on: 26 October, 2015, 07:41:59 am »
The Racer by David Millar

Pretty tedious so far. Racing Through The Dark was excellent. I'm beginning to realise just how much help he must have had to write that one. There's a chapter on why Ryder Hesjedal has the nickname Legend. Fascinating stuff. Not.

I may have to break my self-imposed rule of finishing every book I start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4110 on: 26 October, 2015, 08:25:03 am »
Best ever free book on Kindle is The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. :thumbsup:

Free on Gutenberg too.

Moonstone is good, and supposedly distinguishable as the first modern detective story, but
(click to show/hide)

The Racer by David Millar

Pretty tedious so far. Racing Through The Dark was excellent. I'm beginning to realise just how much help he must have had to write that one. There's a chapter on why Ryder Hesjedal has the nickname Legend. Fascinating stuff. Not.

I may have to break my self-imposed rule of finishing every book I start.

I have yet to read a book [ghost]written by any pro cyclist, but people send me such bin ballast every Christmas. :sick:  I might get Tyler Hamilton's opus at some point, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #4111 on: 26 October, 2015, 09:28:20 am »
Tyler Hamilton's book is well worth reading, but so is Racing Through The Dark. Hamilton had Daniel Coyle helping with The Secret Race and makes no bones about it. And why should he? Daniel Coyle is a first rate cycling journalist. It makes sense that someone who rides a bike for a living should get someone who writes for a living to help with the words.

As far as I can see, Millar did write Racing Through The Dark himself, though Jeremy Whittle is credited as editor. I suspect it took quite a lot of editing.

The Racer seems to be Orl Mi Own Werk. The prose is pretty hackneyed but tbh the real problem may just be that he has nothing interesting to say in it. At least RTTD had a sense of purpose.

« Reply #4112 on: 26 October, 2015, 09:28:49 am »
I got Neil Gaiman's Stardust as a Kindle freebie - a link just appeared in my inbox.
Is it good, Mr L?  I got it too, several months ago, but haven't got round to reading it yet.  The Memsahib read it and didn't really enthuse...

Us was monumentally disappointing, considering how much I enjoyed One Day.  The colossal twattishness of the characters never relented, and it just seemed like a bit of a self-indulgent travelogue of pretentious European art galleries on Nicholls' part.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4113 on: 26 October, 2015, 10:39:00 am »
Is it good, Mr L?  I got it too, several months ago, but haven't got round to reading it yet.  The Memsahib read it and didn't really enthuse...

I enjoyed it well enough though it's not up there with the likes of "Neverwhere" or "American Gods"

« Reply #4114 on: 26 October, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »
some books enjoyed recently:

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith
The miniaturist - Jessie Burton
A spool of blue thread - Anne Tyler

spindrift

« Reply #4115 on: 26 October, 2015, 06:07:18 pm »
Just got the latest Pat Barker and Faulk's The Girl at the Lion d'Or for £1.49 each, Norwich Oxfam.

citoyen

« Reply #4116 on: 29 October, 2015, 12:44:07 am »
I put down The Racer because it was making me cringe, and picked up Foundation instead, the first volume of Peter Ackroyd's History of England, but that turned out to be a real chore too (surprising and disappointing, as Ackroyd is usually so brilliantly readable) so I put that down too and dipped into some early Wodehouse short stories from a volume called The Man With Two Left Feet, and they proved to be a bit of a curate's egg, so I put that down too and picked up Black Swan Green and...

Well, I read it in pretty much one sitting.

I have to admit it didn't grab me from the off like Bone Clocks or Thousand Autumns did. First half is like Adrian Mole but not as funny, and less authentic. Slightly irritating, even. But then it gradually becomes less a catalogue of period detail and ersatz teenage dialogue, and more a poignant reflection on actions and consequences, and the importance of understanding the bigger picture. It's outwardly a more conventional narrative than anything else I've read by David Mitchell but still weaves in enough fantastical elements to be recognisably his work, while keeping them just the right side of believability.

Superb.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4117 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:16:02 am »
Best ever free book on Kindle is The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the tip. I'm enjoying it so far.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

citoyen

« Reply #4118 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:32:23 am »
I've not read The Moonstone but I loved The Woman In White. Proper page turner.

« Reply #4119 on: 29 October, 2015, 01:13:25 pm »
The Divergent series. I'm on a bit of a binge of young adult fiction at the moment, and am enjoying it immensely.

« Reply #4120 on: 29 October, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »
Ah well, the Peter James wasn't the next in his "Roy Grace" cop stories (I never checked before ordering), but instead something about a haunted / possessed house. I got 10 pages in before that went into the "returns" bag.  Having a go at a new-to-me author Craig Robertson. Set in Glasgow, so has some resonance for me, we'll see.  Waiting to be collected the latest offerings from John Grisham and Michael Connelly.  Oh, and on checking my account a Patricia Cornwell (Depraved Heart) I persist with her against my better judgement really. This may be the end, or a return to some kind of form (as the last Val McDermid was) and a Yrsa Sigurdadottir. They're not terrible well written, but give an insight into Icelandic society merely by being set there.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4121 on: 29 October, 2015, 03:32:37 pm »
You can never be quite sure with FOREIGNS whether it's just a ropy translation, unless you're one of those annoying people who can read them in the original language.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #4122 on: 30 October, 2015, 09:23:47 am »
I'm just about to start The French Lieutenant's Woman. I haven't read it for years.

citoyen

« Reply #4123 on: 02 November, 2015, 06:03:21 pm »
The Debt To Pleasure by John Lanchester

As someone who at one stage of his life made a living by writing about restaurants, a lot of this resonates with me perfectly. Acutely observed and very funny.

I should add, however, that I have NOTHING AT ALL in common with the protagonist, Tarquin Winot, who appears to be a cross between AA Gill and Patrick Bateman.

That I am enjoying this so much is slightly surprising given that I didn't rate Capital that highly at all - although I did find it very readable, for which I have to give it some credit. The Debt To Pleasure, by contrast, is almost unreadable in places, and is the first book I've read for a while for which I've had to keep a dictionary handy for regular reference, but I can forgive it that because it's a stylistic quirk designed to reflect the personality of the narrator, and as such is wholly authentic in a quite marvellous way.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4124 on: 02 November, 2015, 06:14:31 pm »
Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioli - the first Charlie Mortdecai novel.

Hilariously, whimsically violent and terrifying.  It's a story about art theft, but written in a style that owes more than a little to PG Wodehouse.  I adored it.  Apparently they made of a film of it, which was a massive flop, and I'm not surprised because the genius of this book is all in the writing.

Also, a bit of it takes place at Carnforth Station and Leighton Moss RSPB reserve, and I've bin there on m'bike, so I enjoyed that too.
Many thanks for this tip.

Whizzed thru the first one, currently half-way through the 2nd. "Whimsically violent" is quite appropriate!

But I wouldnt say it's nasty at all (except perhaps for truly sensitive readers). The Lucifer Box series (Mark Gatiss) owe a lot to these - which is a good thing. Kyril is probably funnier, with more likeable characters (none of whom you'd invite to dinner.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles