Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846850 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4625 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:10:43 am »
Just finished "Salmon fishing in the Yemen", thoroughly enjoyable, am now reading "The girl who played with fire" I also managed to get from The Cancer Research shop in Banbury Antony Beevor D-DAY, I've had a quick peek inside and it looks ver good.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

ian

« Reply #4626 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:14:45 am »
The Drift by Chris Thrall. Bought because it was 99p and had 30 five star ratings* on Amazon. I can only assume Mr Thrall has 30 good friends! The writing is somewhat naive in style, has technical errors in the sailing descriptions. Oh and has any one ever heard of a sea lion taking up residence in Plymouth Sound?

I do wonder about how people rate books. If you think truly great writing - Dickens, Shakespeare, Pratchet - should rate at 5 stars, most other stuff should surely only rate three stars.

Well, you can pay someone to do it. There's loads of help-for-hire microtask sites. Plus a lot of people have no sense. I've read some dross that comes with endless good reviews and I have to think 'how?'

I always read the one and two-star reviews, they tend to give an honest and candid opinion even if you don't agree with them.

« Reply #4627 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:31:05 am »
I do wonder about how people rate books. If you think truly great writing - Dickens, Shakespeare, Pratchet - should rate at 5 stars, most other stuff should surely only rate three stars.

Well, you can pay someone to do it. There's loads of help-for-hire microtask sites. Plus a lot of people have no sense. I've read some dross that comes with endless good reviews and I have to think 'how?'

I always read the one and two-star reviews, they tend to give an honest and candid opinion even if you don't agree with them.
[/quote]

One star:

"Sorry, I cannot review this item, safe to say I sent it as a present for someone and they seemed to be pleased with it."

;D

I think the reviewer thought the stars related to the value of his/her input.  Honest,candid but not useful.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4628 on: 21 September, 2016, 11:38:35 am »
The Drift by Chris Thrall. Bought because it was 99p and had 30 five star ratings* on Amazon. I can only assume Mr Thrall has 30 good friends! The writing is somewhat naive in style, has technical errors in the sailing descriptions. Oh and has any one ever heard of a sea lion taking up residence in Plymouth Sound?

To me if a book is excellent is dictated by the pictures in my head that reading it produces, Embers by Sandor Marai is one, Riddle of The Sands by Erskine Childers another, my personal description of authors like these is "word artists" as they mentally take you to where and what they are writing about.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4629 on: 21 September, 2016, 10:01:22 pm »
truly great writing - Dickens, Shakespeare, Pratchet

I think you've answered your own question there.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #4630 on: 21 September, 2016, 10:04:39 pm »
I've read some dross that comes with endless good reviews and I have to think 'how?'

Well, I know for example that I tend not to share the opinion of Richard and/or Judy on what makes a good book, so I avoid basing a decision to buy on a positive review from them.

« Reply #4631 on: 21 September, 2016, 10:22:14 pm »
On Google books I am reading The Builder's Pocket Manual Containing the Elements of Building, Surveying & Architecture   by A. C. Smeaton

On Kindle I'm reading On The Road

In physical ink on paper I have several on the go or lined-up.   Having just visited the Budleigh Salterton Literary Festival, H Mantel (The assassination of Margaret Thatcher) has to be amongst them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4632 on: 21 September, 2016, 10:23:12 pm »
Just finished "Salmon fishing in the Yemen", thoroughly enjoyable, am now reading "The girl who played with fire" I also managed to get from The Cancer Research shop in Banbury Antony Beevor D-DAY, I've had a quick peek inside and it looks ver good.

It is, his usual thorough research and no holding back from the truly gruesome nature of war.  No holds barred when discussing the fuckups of the commanders either
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4633 on: 21 September, 2016, 10:25:23 pm »

To me if a book is excellent is dictated by the pictures in my head that reading it produces, Embers by Sandor Marai is one, Riddle of The Sands by Erskine Childers another, my personal description of authors like these is "word artists" as they mentally take you to where and what they are writing about.

Seen the film Riddle of The Sands, excellent, but not read the book.  I have read the 39 Steps though, which was also very good.

Most of my favourite music artists also tend to be very lyrical, Moody Blues for example
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4634 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:42:02 am »
Revisiting pTerry's Discworld canon for the first time in about twenty years.  Just started Witches Abroad.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #4635 on: 22 September, 2016, 07:45:52 am »

You should go back and dig up our critical discourse of Dan Brown somewhere hereabouts.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4636 on: 28 September, 2016, 10:45:50 pm »
Well it won't be "The Hanging Tree" by Ben Aaronovitch anytime soon. A not from our library reservations system yeserday. My bold  :-\

"Reservation for The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch has been cancelled as we have been informed that publication has been delayed until at least September 2017. A new order will be made once we have a confirmed publication date."

WTF 8)  I hope that's a mispring ???

Edit: Publisher's webby SCIENCE still says August 25th.  2016.

I notice a tweet from the man from 4 days ago, consisting of many repeats of the word 'done'.

Quote from: Gollancz Blog
Gollancz is delighted to announce the publication of THE HANGING TREE, the sixth book in Ben Aaronovitch’s bestselling Peter Grant series, on November 3rd 2016.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4637 on: 28 September, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
Zomg, says the same on his Twitter feed too so maybe it is true!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #4638 on: 29 September, 2016, 07:42:40 am »
A George RR Martin Not GOT/ASOIAF book- Tuf Voyaging. I are enjoying it. Kitty content FTW.

« Reply #4639 on: 29 September, 2016, 09:23:25 am »
Zomg, says the same on his Twitter feed too so maybe it is true!

Oooh, I'll have to chase up the local library as they're still not listing it as available for reservation (having cancelled my earlier one)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4640 on: 03 October, 2016, 05:55:04 pm »
House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, and Drinking Water: a History by James Salzman.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

« Reply #4641 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:13:52 pm »
Literary quiz - who are they?

Ayesha
Emma Rouault
Dolores Haze
Eva Beaver
Anne Catherick
Miss Woodhouse
Shen Te

Supplementary question: can you suggest three more suitable names for me so I have a full round of 10 questions for the pub quiz?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4642 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:33:40 pm »
SWMBO rides again, unless you meant that rather contrarian bloke who inhabited the CTC forum a while back.
T'others, dunno.

Additionals:

Christabel Cowper in The Man on a Donkey
Harriet Vane (too easy?)
Heyatawin (Hanta Yo)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4643 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:41:46 pm »
Literary quiz - who are they?

Ayesha
Emma Rouault
Dolores Haze
Eva Beaver
Anne Catherick
Miss Woodhouse
Shen Te

Supplementary question: can you suggest three more suitable names for me so I have a full round of 10 questions for the pub quiz?

Delores Haze was Lolita.  Don't know about the others.

Milk please, no sugar.

citoyen

What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4644 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »
SWMBO rides again, unless you meant that rather contrarian bloke who inhabited the CTC forum a while back.
T'others, dunno.

Ayesha is indeed She [WMBO] but you'll need to work out some of the others to get the correct link/theme...

No, it's not CTC forum members - that might be slightly too obscure for the local pub quiz. ;D

citoyen

« Reply #4645 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:52:00 pm »
Delores Haze was Lolita. 

Correct. So you've got She and Lolita, which should be a clue to the theme...

citoyen

What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4646 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:56:06 pm »
Just thought of another: Lisbeth Salander

Amy Dunne is another.

« Reply #4647 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »
P.C. Fox might be another.

citoyen

« Reply #4648 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »

Ooh, don't know that one.

Rather than drag this out, seeing as it's strictly OT, here are the answers in full:
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #4649 on: 03 October, 2016, 11:05:45 pm »

Ooh, don't know that one.

Tell a lie...

(click to show/hide)