Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 847002 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4900 on: 20 April, 2017, 05:10:53 pm »
Continuing my Stephen King marathon, I'm giving myself the willies with Pet Sematary now....  :o
EEK!
(click to show/hide)

Pretty, pretty.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4901 on: 20 April, 2017, 09:28:58 pm »
I'm currently binge reading Ed James' DC Scott Cullen series, up to book 6 so far. I don't seem to be able to get away from Edinburgh detectives.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4902 on: 21 April, 2017, 07:37:48 am »
I was trying to read The Bourne trilogy.  I gave up. I am really impressed that they managed to make 2 good and 1 decent movie out of that material, because it's absolutely awful.

« Reply #4903 on: 21 April, 2017, 07:51:30 am »
Continuing my Stephen King marathon, I'm giving myself the willies with Pet Sematary now....  :o
EEK!
(click to show/hide)

Pretty, pretty.
;D

"darling"...

fuzzy

« Reply #4904 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:29:59 am »
I was trying to read The Bourne trilogy.  I gave up. I am really impressed that they managed to make 2 good and 1 decent movie out of that material, because it's absolutely awful.

I mangaed book one. Couldn't face any more.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4905 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:13:37 pm »
Ludlum was definitely an author who would have benefited from the services of a determined editor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4906 on: 21 April, 2017, 01:33:57 pm »
Preferably pre-conception.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4907 on: 21 April, 2017, 02:43:33 pm »
Here seems more appropriate than the rant thread...

There's a lovely bit in Steven Gould's Jumper[1] where the protagonist gets annoyed with a particularly poorly times scam call, so teleports into the scammers' building after-hours and re-programs the dialer robot with the employee phone directory.

[1] A YA science fiction story from the 1990s which is notable for attempting to do teleportation properly, as well as an unusually frank depiction of parental abuse.  I re-read it recently, after discovering a whole series had been written (and a disappointing film made) while I wasn't paying attention.

The film is crap

The book is rather brilliant, mostly for its portrayal of personal relationships, and the effects of domestic violence.

That's the one.  The whole series had a compelling combination of taking the teleportation ability to logical conclusions (the sort of thing that will be familiar to anyone who knows the SMBC peak superman comic and the laws of thermodynamics), fucked-up personal relationships[1], and the ethical decisions that stem from those things.  And a much less compelling plot to keep things moving along.  Sadly the makers of the film picked up mostly on the latter, though there are plenty of subtle references to things from the books that are left completely unexplored.

[1] Impulse's handling of Cent's upbringing as the child of paranoid teleporting adults hiding from a well-resourced evil organisation is as good as Davy's relationship to his parents in Jumper.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4908 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:00:04 pm »
Sapiens, A brief history of humankind - Yuval Noah Harari

Excellent it should be required reading in all secondary schools. Covers what is real and imaginary in society as well as gender and racial politics. How the human race got here from being an upright ape in Africa.

I'm reading this too. I love the pace of the writing and the humourous insights : 'new niches for imbeciles', but the relentless quoteability is beginning to grate. It it's starting to feel like a book of one liners - which it isn't - but managed to feel like anyway. Is it perhaps an existentialists handbook? I've found no room for love in it, beyond the biochemical. I need to read further.

My favourite bit so far was the observation that wheat has domesticated homo sapiens rather than the other way round.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4909 on: 24 April, 2017, 12:55:04 am »
"A Dark So Deadly", the latest offering from Stuart MacBride.  Not a Logan McRae but it still rains all the time.  Loadsa killin's.  We approve of this book.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4910 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:16:45 am »
My favourite bit so far was the observation that wheat has domesticated homo sapiens rather than the other way round.

We're headed for the last Roundup.

« Reply #4911 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:51:26 am »
The Damage Done: Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison by Warren Fellows.  Remind me not to go heroin trafficking in Thailand any time soon, eh?

« Reply #4912 on: 24 April, 2017, 11:22:24 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/26/landskipping-painters-ploughmen-and-places-review-anna-pavord-constable-hardy

Only just started but seems enjoyably readable so far.  It probably helps if, like me, you have a reasonable knowledge of the landscapes in different bits of the U.K.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4913 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:58:42 pm »
Have you come across Hoskins' 'the making of the english landscape'?

Meanwhile I am reading up on how to be a tudor.  The bit on rush floor coverings was fascinating 6" thick the layer was so comfy for sleeping on!, as was the bit on washing (précis: change the inside-most layer and wipe yourself down daily; actual washing is overrated.  I might try it next time im on a multiple day ride :-))
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4914 on: 24 April, 2017, 11:40:01 pm »
Youngest has come home from school this aft proudly clutching a copy of H2G2 from the school library. This after listening to most of the radio series on the journey to & from France.

As someone else said on here, I don't think we've done badly as parents . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4915 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:51:33 am »
"A Dark So Deadly", the latest offering from Stuart MacBride.  Not a Logan McRae but it still rains all the time.  Loadsa killin's.  We approve of this book.

Finished.  Magnumly DETHY and rainy even by Mr MacBride's elevated standards; also contains a dog called "Penguin" and the word "wankbadger".

« Reply #4916 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:51:46 am »
Have you come across Hoskins' 'the making of the english landscape'?

Meanwhile I am reading up on how to be a tudor.  The bit on rush floor coverings was fascinating 6" thick the layer was so comfy for sleeping on!, as was the bit on washing (précis: change the inside-most layer and wipe yourself down daily; actual washing is overrated.  I might try it next time im on a multiple day ride :-))

No, I've not read Hoskins [quick Google] Sounds very interesting.
Re swabbing ones self, a read of some of the tales from the heroic age of Antarctic exploration reveals all sorts of stories about turning underpants inside out half way to the south pole, and changing them for the journey home etc. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4917 on: 25 April, 2017, 11:33:31 am »

Finished.  Magnumly DETHY and rainy even by Mr MacBride's elevated standards; also contains a dog called "Penguin" and the word "wankbadger".

Duly culled?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4918 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:28:53 pm »

Is that another Stonecastle one?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4919 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:19:59 am »
It's set in "Oldcastle" but doesn't have Ash Henderson.  In it.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4920 on: 27 April, 2017, 02:22:33 pm »
The Crimson Petal And The White by Michel Faber.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #4921 on: 28 April, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »
Having read a handful of Pterrys output I decided to do an alternating Pterry/ Tom Clancy marathon. Currently on Patriot Games. Next is Feet of Clay.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4922 on: 28 April, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »
In which Jack Ryan accidentally foils an assassination attempt on the Patrician, and joins the city watch to track down the leaders of a Provisional Golem Republican Army cell who attack his family?

fuzzy

« Reply #4923 on: 28 April, 2017, 02:17:59 pm »
Thats the one :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4924 on: 28 April, 2017, 10:11:49 pm »
It's set in "Oldcastle" but doesn't have Ash Henderson.  In it.

Soz, getting Oldcastle confused with Stonemouth.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.