Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846729 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #5025 on: 22 August, 2017, 09:51:21 pm »
Non-violence. The history of a dangerous idea by Mark Kurlansky.
I'm re-reading this.  It tells a repeating tale of religion being usurped for the purposes of warmongering. (Are you listening Tony Blair? ::-))  The book has its flaws but is an interesting discussion on how non-violence is not the same as complete pacifism, with examples - most of whom got killed by violet people :facepalm:

It's all that purple prose.

(Wasn't it Terry Pratchett who said " the only thing more dangerous than people seeking the truth are those who think they have found it?)

« Reply #5026 on: 22 August, 2017, 10:02:06 pm »
A Dog in a Hat, an American Bike Racer's Story of Mud Drugs, Beauty in Betrayal in Belguim by Joe Parkin.

About a quarter of the way in, and so far, brilliant. Most cycling autobiographies are quite anodyne, but he's far enough down the tree that it doesn't matter, and he just tells it like it was.

« Reply #5027 on: 24 August, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
"The light of future days" by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter

Near the beginning it has this:
In 2010, social unrest and climatic collapse forced Britain out of the European Union, and United Kingdom fell apart, Scotland going its own separate way.

The book was released in 2000

Prophetic?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5028 on: 24 August, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »
^^^OTOH I read one recently in which many countries had left the EU but the UK had remained steadfast and held the rest together.

Or was that Cameron's manifesto...?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5029 on: 27 August, 2017, 06:55:55 pm »
"The light of future days" by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter

Near the beginning it has this:
In 2010, social unrest and climatic collapse forced Britain out of the European Union, and United Kingdom fell apart, Scotland going its own separate way.

The book was released in 2000

Prophetic?

Not prophetic but a fabulous read nevertheless.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5030 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:18:58 pm »
Just finished Kim Stanley Robinsons latest New York 2140. Set in a NYC flooded after catastrophic climate change has flooded Manhattan & turned it into a new Venice. It took me ages to finish this, I don't know why because it's well done (apart from the 2 cute urchins  :sick: ) and has a lot going on that's relevant. Another disaster hits, thousands homeless, entire blocks of homes empty & guarded by goons protecting property  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5031 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:30:34 pm »
So pretty much current UK SOCIETY . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5032 on: 30 August, 2017, 08:20:57 am »
Sorry to bring this up again but Stephen Baxter's 'Flood' is scary near-future post-apocalypse scariness par excellence  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5033 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:26:13 am »
And then there's KSR's 40 Days of Rain.

fuzzy

« Reply #5034 on: 30 August, 2017, 11:43:27 am »
Moon Dust by Andrew Smith. 'In search of the men who fell to Earth'

Published in 2005 when 9 of the 12 Moonwalkers survived. In the book, Smith tries to track down and interview the remaining Moonwalkers and find out how the experience left them.

So far I have read about Edgar Mitchell, Buzz Aldrin and neil Armstrong. I am currently reading about Alan Bean.

For a child of the Apollo years, this is a good read.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5035 on: 30 August, 2017, 01:11:31 pm »
Having finished reading 'Narrow Dog to Carcassonne ' I have ordered the other two books, 'Indian River' and 'Wigan Pier'

Terry Darlington writes superbly if a little chaotic in style. His lack of quotation marks often means having to re-read passages if you didn't get the sense first time round. This is not a criticism and, for someone used to reading Douglas Adams, neither is it unusual.

I have also finished a book about cycling authored by one of our own parishioners. No. Not that one. Yes, I do have a copy and no, you'll have to wait until it's published*

*Pretty sure that it's the only book that includes me in the narrative but don't let that put you off!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5036 on: 30 August, 2017, 01:34:54 pm »
Fanny Hill.

I can't decide whether I like it or not. The sex is okay, but I find it weird reading about the supposed exploits of a young girl, written by a man.

It's also unsettling that she's supposed to be 14 or 15. Does that matter if it was all made up and written in 1748? I don't know what the age of consent was then, but my 21st C sensibilities are uncomforted by her age.

I borrowed it because they didn't have Bleak House in the library on the day I went, then I spotted FH and remembered hearing a little bit* of it being read by someone on tv recently.

(*Nearly wrote 'snatch')
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5037 on: 30 August, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
It was what you might call biologically determined - once you were capable that was it.  FWIW the age of consent in France is 15. Is it still 16 in the UK?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5038 on: 30 August, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »
I read The Long Walk as a teenager, probably not that long after it came out.  Even with almost zero knowledge of the USSR at the time, it seemed a bit unlikely, to me.  But it was a very gripping read, especially to one who loved Jack London and real life tales such as that of Shackleton, whose tale also seems unlikely but is verifiable.  I seem to remember reading a similar story about an overland escape from Russia a little later, which seemed plausible, but I can't remember the title!

Read it at school, still have a copy on my bookshelf, but not yet persuaded daughter to read it.  I imagine, much as Papillon or Banco, there is some level of artistic interpretation

Kim Stanley Robinson - I have Sixty Days and Counting on my bookshelf, read the first 2 chapters, gave up, not in the mood.  May try again later.

Recently for me
1) Antony Beevor's Ardennes write up
2) The Third World War, The Untold Story - a 1980's set and written book by a British ex-general and others, fascinating as I was living in Germany with my dad in the RAF at the time
3) Dead Or Alive  - Tom Clancy - America Saves the World, again, OK for a holiday read and killing time after work while away
4) almost finished HMS Ulysses with my son, still a cracking read and boy's own stuff
5) Now Reading Surface Detail by Iain M Banks, on of the few of his I've not read before, typically brilliant and recommended to someone I was working with last week.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5039 on: 30 August, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »
The latest Parker Bilal "Makana" story, Dark Water.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5040 on: 30 August, 2017, 05:26:40 pm »
Apocalypse Baby - Virginie Despentes

To continue my tradition of reading a novel from the country I am on holiday in (last year in Italy it was Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa's "The Leopard") I tried this French novel.
Was interesting, it's been described as a nihilst feminist read trip which is probably about right. I thought it was trying a little too hard at times but maybe that was just the translation.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5041 on: 31 August, 2017, 05:25:18 am »
I have finished Seveneves.  Very poor, Mr Stephenson.  Go back and re-read Cryptonomicon and then tell me this is in any way better.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5042 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:09:10 am »
Harry Turtledove's Supervolcano: Eruption.  Not bad but a bit light on the geology, though not misleading or inaccurate.  The Beeb's Supervolcano does the geology more thoroughly, but HT has two sequels about what happens to the world afterwards.

Found myself wondering what the effect might be if NK managed to lob a nuke into Yellowstone's tender parts. As a Doomsday Machine it'd be hard to beat, given a big enough nuke.

« Reply #5043 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:14:41 pm »
I'm guessing the Third World War one was Sir John Hackett's thingy - I think I've only read his first one (which IIRC has the same plot; the untold story one is an expanded version.) I remember it being interesting, though it was obviously written to lobby for bolstering NATO conventional defences.

On Fanny Hill; I recall from _One More Kilometer and we're in the Showers_ (in just one of its many entertaining digressions) that the Oxford historian Christopher Hill called his daughter Fanny. At the time (1930s/40s) this remained his private joke, as he was one of the few people in the country to have read the book; it wasn't available in print, but he'd read the Bodleian's copy...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5044 on: 01 September, 2017, 12:38:52 pm »
The idiot brain : a neuroscientist explains what your head is really up to by Dean Burnett. So far, it's good.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #5045 on: 01 September, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »
It's Numskulls, isn't it?

« Reply #5046 on: 02 September, 2017, 11:24:05 am »
Jay MacInerney's "Bright Precious Days ".  Angst & infidelity amongst the  New York elite.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5047 on: 02 September, 2017, 12:31:24 pm »

No, that's a biography of D Trump.

Take THAT, NSA!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5048 on: 02 September, 2017, 12:58:44 pm »

No, that's a biography of D Trump.

Take THAT, NSA!

Nah, in Il Douche's case, instead of homunculi, there's one of those clockwork monkeys bashing cymbals together.  :demon:

https://media.giphy.com/media/BBkKEBJkmFbTG/giphy.gif
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5049 on: 03 September, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »
I'm guessing the Third World War one was Sir John Hackett's thingy - I think I've only read his first one (which IIRC has the same plot; the untold story one is an expanded version.) I remember it being interesting, though it was obviously written to lobby for bolstering NATO conventional defences

Yes that's the one.

Now finished Surface Detail, as with most Iain m Banks stuff, I think I will need to reread it at some point t.

Also finished HMS Ulyses this evening, need to think of what to read to/with my son next
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens