Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846984 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6500 on: 10 January, 2022, 09:47:23 am »
Sure, but are there any cyborgs?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #6501 on: 10 January, 2022, 09:53:51 am »
The Burgundians - A Vanished Empire, a history of 1111 years and 1 day. - Bart van Loo

Excellent on the country that nearly was and the formation of the low countries as separate political entities. van Loo writes well and is funny in places too. Nice to see the 100 Years War from a point of view that isn't English or French as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6502 on: 10 January, 2022, 10:29:42 am »
Bernard Cornwell - Uthred of Bebbanburg/Saxon Chronicles. On book 4 now.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6503 on: 10 January, 2022, 09:57:17 pm »
"The Hidden Ways" by Alistair Moffat.

This is an account of Scotland's Forgotten Roads, and I think it was someone on here who recommended it.
It describes historic roads now lost, from pre-Roman times to more recent.

For me, it's a bit heavier on history than I'd prefer, but that's probably my problem not the book's.
I was expecting more of a descriptive narrative of the here and now, with some historical perspective to give it context.
But I found myself skim-reading walls of dense text with dates and historical facts.

As I say, that's probably down to my poor background in history.
An artefact of the options available at school, possibly.
But it's left me with the need to know only the most basic history to put the landscape around me in some context; I really have never gained interest in the battles and dates, the succession of power that was in place at the time.

Call me shallow.
That said, the book is otherwise excellent, and there are several places I now wish to visit by bike!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6504 on: 11 January, 2022, 08:33:58 am »
Sure, but are there any cyborgs?

Not in that one.  I had a look at some of his other efforts and decided he writes mostly for adolescents.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6505 on: 12 January, 2022, 11:42:47 am »
Car Hiassons "Bad Monkey", one of his Andrew Yancy yarns. If you're amused by Florida Man, this is the sort of thing to read.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6506 on: 12 January, 2022, 01:31:46 pm »
I’ve just started listening to The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu but after listening to most of the first chapter I’m not entirely sure I’m currently up to their deep and meaningful ideas. I’ve enjoyed their work in the past but the detailed explanations of the thought processes of an ant as it explores for food have quite worn me out. I think I’ll put it aside for another day.
I decided to persevere with it a little longer, and got drawn in a bit. I’ve not finished it yet, but I am now enjoying it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #6507 on: 19 January, 2022, 05:54:26 pm »
“Quantum Of Nightmares “,  the latest Laundry Files/New Management book from Charles Stross.   Not exactly a bundle of larfs so far.  I hope nobody gives a copy to Priti Patel, she might get ideas.

Speeding drivers having their heads mounted on motorway gantries is the only nice bit to date(chapter 5).
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6508 on: 19 January, 2022, 06:33:25 pm »
To the Lighthouse, Woolf V.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6509 on: 20 January, 2022, 02:10:33 pm »
“Quantum Of Nightmares “,  the latest Laundry Files/New Management book from Charles Stross.   Not exactly a bundle of larfs so far.  I hope nobody gives a copy to Priti Patel, she might get ideas.

Speeding drivers having their heads mounted on motorway gantries is the only nice bit to date(chapter 5).

I'm on the one before that, Dead Lies Dreaming.  I read it before but the later ones are a bit like Harry Potter novels, swifty forgotten.  I much preferred the days of Angleton, Andy and Mo.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #6510 on: 01 February, 2022, 11:16:09 am »
Halfway through “Inhibitor Phase”, the latest volume of Alistair Reynolds “Revelation Space” series .   

Desperate battles, unstoppable enemies, moral quandaries and Pigs In Spaaaace ….  :thumbsup:

https://revelationspace.fandom.com/wiki/Hyperpigs

99p on Kindle today

« Reply #6511 on: 01 February, 2022, 01:32:48 pm »
How are you getting on with it/how did you get on with it? I think I tried it a very long time ago and failed.

« Reply #6512 on: 01 February, 2022, 02:25:51 pm »
I'm halfway through Sai King's The Institute.  It's good  :thumbsup:.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6513 on: 01 February, 2022, 04:50:45 pm »
Halfway through “Inhibitor Phase”, the latest volume of Alistair Reynolds “Revelation Space” series .   

Desperate battles, unstoppable enemies, moral quandaries and Pigs In Spaaaace ….  :thumbsup:

https://revelationspace.fandom.com/wiki/Hyperpigs

99p on Kindle today

Grabbed, thanks
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6514 on: 01 February, 2022, 04:51:39 pm »
How are you getting on with it/how did you get on with it? I think I tried it a very long time ago and failed.
Oh finished it in about 4 or 5 sittings, I found it quite interesting at how easily my own thoughts would fit into the thoughts that form the story and not distract from what was going on.

Onto Trainspotting now, which proved a challenge on the 25th when trying to read
Burns since I've got the hang of Welsh's Scots orthography which differs significantly in places from Burns which kind of sets what everyone else uses, Ay no. (Ae No)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6515 on: 01 February, 2022, 05:20:39 pm »
Oh finished it in about 4 or 5 sittings, I found it quite interesting at how easily my own thoughts would fit into the thoughts that form the story and not distract from what was going on.

Onto Trainspotting now, which proved a challenge on the 25th when trying to read
Burns since I've got the hang of Welsh's Scots orthography which differs significantly in places from Burns which kind of sets what everyone else uses, Ay no. (Ae No)

I read one of his years ago about the delights of football hooliganism. Can't remember the title. Good though.

Spaintrotting always makes me think of the holiday squitters.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6516 on: 01 February, 2022, 06:40:42 pm »

Have you read any Ford Madox Ford and/or EM Forster? I love both and keep thinking I should give Woolf a go but haven’t got round to her yet. From what I know about them, I think I would like To The Lighthouse and Mrs Dalloway especially.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6517 on: 01 February, 2022, 07:00:17 pm »
No I haven't... To be investigated and added to the pile of books...

« Reply #6518 on: 01 February, 2022, 07:05:40 pm »
Phare do's.

Have you read any Ford Madox Ford and/or EM Forster? I love both and keep thinking I should give Woolf a go but haven’t got round to her yet. From what I know about them, I think I would like To The Lighthouse and Mrs Dalloway especially.

Howard's End last year and A Passage to India ages ago, so maybe A Room with a View or The Good Soldier after I've worked through the Christmas windfall - Bob Mortimer's autobiography, the latest Frantzen, My Name is Leon (Kit de Waal), and something called Descent by someone called Tim Johnston. I think I'm still too scared of Virginia Woolf.

« Reply #6519 on: 01 February, 2022, 08:45:15 pm »
Following on from the latest Rick Stein telly series, where he mixed art, poetry and literature with the cooking, I mentioned to MrsC that I might try some Virginia Woolf. I got about half way through Mrs Dalloway a couple of years ago. Not sure why I didn't finish it, lack of time, probably.
MrsC suggest Flush which is the biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's dog. Very pleasant read. As the copy I got was the Kindle complete works (99p) I have a fair bit more to try now!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6520 on: 03 February, 2022, 08:15:38 am »
Mrs Dalloway is currently being read (aloud) by Sian Thomas on R4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013rb6

citoyen

« Reply #6521 on: 03 February, 2022, 09:15:47 am »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #6522 on: 03 February, 2022, 09:27:42 am »

:thumbsup:
Is that abridged or the whole thing?
I have this but not got round to it yet.

I'm currently enjoying The Song of Achilles

« Reply #6523 on: 03 February, 2022, 10:57:23 am »
8 x 15 minute episodes. So I'd guess abridged, or very very fast.

citoyen

« Reply #6524 on: 03 February, 2022, 11:39:23 am »
I'm currently enjoying The Song of Achilles

Was discussing that with a colleague recently. Fantastic book. Said colleague also recommended her Circe, which sounds like it's very much along the same lines.