Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846729 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6750 on: 14 March, 2023, 10:02:47 am »
Just finished Stephen King's “Billy Summers”, in which the paranatural and supernormal are limited to a couple of oblique references to the Overlook Hotel and Hemingford Home.
I enjoyed that one, too.  Now reading Duma Key at a rate of about one page per night...

« Reply #6751 on: 28 March, 2023, 01:34:17 pm »
After a short break in Barcelona, I'm re-reading (after c40 years) Homage to Catalonia. I struggled with it the first time, not least because of the abbreviations of the numerous republican-sympathizing parties and militias, and the subtle differences in their aims and ideals. I must be more patient these days; and Wikipedia helps. And I must have missed the humour the first time round because some of it is funny - which is not something I associate with Orwell.

I've just finished the chapter where he's returned on leave from the front line in May 1937 to a seething Barcelona, when the civil-war-within-the-civil-war breaks out. The description of his personal experiences are fascinating, but he finishes the chapter with: "In the next chapter I must discuss as best I can the larger issues...if you are not interested in political controversy and the mob of parties and sub-parties with their confusing names (rather like the names of the generals in a Chinese war), please skip". I'm tempted. I wish he'd given a similar warning before the boring Goldstein manifesto bit in 1984.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6752 on: 28 March, 2023, 06:26:19 pm »

Orwell by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6753 on: 28 March, 2023, 07:10:32 pm »
The Earth Transformed: An Untold History by Peter Frankopan

Climate change from when the Earth first had a climate to now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6754 on: 06 April, 2023, 01:34:41 pm »
Good Omens, by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman.
Is this where the character Death, WHO TALKS LIKE THIS, originates?

« Reply #6755 on: 06 April, 2023, 01:46:35 pm »

No, Death was already a well-established/loved character in the Discworld books when Good Omens was published.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #6756 on: 06 April, 2023, 02:40:33 pm »
I picked up The Fireman by Joe Hill after reading some of his short stories. I prefer less cerebral horror when the insomnia is bad, but I'm really struggling with this. Each element I can point to which of his dad's (Stephen King, if you didn't know) stories he took it from, and a third of the way through I've realised I don't have it in me to read yet another book from the King family in which Our Hero has to Protect Their Child against the Real Monsters Who Are Other Humans, especially Sadistic Religious Fanatics.

If I hadn't been reading it on a kindle, I'd have probably thrown it across the room at the part where a pregnant woman in the second trimester swung from a tree and was thankful when the "rubbery lump" of her pregnancy cushioned her from a rough landing in a partially-demolished house.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6757 on: 06 April, 2023, 02:47:11 pm »

No, Death was already a well-established/loved character in the Discworld books when Good Omens was published.
Thank you. I was curious.

« Reply #6758 on: 06 April, 2023, 02:48:20 pm »
YOU'RE WELCOME.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6759 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:11:50 pm »

If I hadn't been reading it on a kindle, I'd have probably thrown it across the room at the part where a pregnant woman in the second trimester swung from a tree and was thankful when the "rubbery lump" of her pregnancy cushioned her from a rough landing in a partially-demolished house.

Sam
Was she pregnant with a space hopper??
 :o

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #6760 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:52:17 pm »
I don't know if I can continue reading long enough to find out. At this point in the books, she's still pregnant. She has just been assaulted by a group of teenage girls blissed out on a telepathic fungus that has colonised their brains, who cut off her hair and broke her teeth while forcing a stone into her mouth, which they then gaffer taped shut. So...

Men writing women, eh?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #6761 on: 10 April, 2023, 03:41:01 pm »
Finished "Good Omens". Whizzed through "Double Cross" by Ben Macintyre (about misinformation in WW2).
Now on "How to be a Footballer" by Peter Crouch, picked up very cheap in a 2nd hand book shop. It is quite amusing. Then spotted that his ghostwriter is Tom Fordyce, who is also Geraint Thomas' ghostwriter. That explains a similarity in structure and tone between the two books... Though also, I think both sportsmen have similar senses of humour about being professional sportsmen.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #6762 on: 10 April, 2023, 04:34:31 pm »
How Music Works by David Byrne. Absolutley fascinating and there seems to be something new being brought up continually.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6763 on: 13 May, 2023, 12:37:55 pm »
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

A fictional account of the history and mathematics of cryptography, told via two interleaved stories, one based around Bletchley Park and Alan Turing during the war, and another based around early Internet pioneers set in the 1990s.  The stories are not just interleaved, but also intertwined. Several of the characters in the modern story are descendants of the characters in the earlier one.

He's gone to some lengths to research and discuss the actual maths, and although it's not important to the understanding of the storyline, it does add a depth which is interesting to me.
(I did an evening class at Aberdeen Uni many years ago, on the subject of cryptography and cryptanalysis. We got homework! A short paragraph of cyphertext which we had to try to decode using the techniques discussed in class.)

« Reply #6764 on: 14 May, 2023, 12:30:00 am »
I picked up The Fireman by Joe Hill
I did read the rest of your posts, but I spotted your mistake at this point.  I read "Horns" on Gaiman's recommendation, but it was bad enough that I wouldn't read anything else he writes.  Then again I am also not a fan of his dad's work.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6765 on: 14 May, 2023, 12:46:29 am »
Finally struggled through to the end of Sleep No More, in which Greg Iles takes aim at fellow Rock Bottom Remainder Stephen King, and misses by a country mile.  Also features prosecutor-turned-novelist Penn Cage, who is introduced as having written a novel featuring prosecutor-turned-novelist Penn Cage.  This is all a bit meta for this unlettered oaf.

« Reply #6766 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:52:07 pm »
I'm new to Irish writer Sebastian Barry having read Days Without End earlier in the year, and then picking up Old God's Time without realizing it was his latest. It's a hard book to read but superb, nevertheless, and it didn't finish for me after I put it down (IYKWIM) after a breathless denouement. The hardness comes not only from the subject matter - we're talking Irish priests and historic 'cases' here - but also the very slow coalescing of the truth as the novel progresses. Our central character's confusion regarding his own harrowing family history and a cold case two ex-colleagues come to ask him about (he's a 9-month-retired policeman, living alone in Dalkey) is also ours. But that gives it a foggy, ghostly, haunting feel until the fogginess disperses and the ghosts seem to be banished. A satisfying ending, if not a happy one.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6767 on: 17 May, 2023, 10:49:10 am »
Just finished a thing called There Is No Antimemetics Division, something of an SF farce by a gent who signs himself qntm pronounced quantum.

An antimeme is an idea with self-censoring properties; an idea which, by its intrinsic nature, discourages or prevents people from spreading it.

Antimemes are real. Think of any piece of information which you wouldn't share with anybody, like passwords, taboos and dirty secrets. Or any piece of information which would be difficult to share even if you tried: complex equations, very boring passages of text, large blocks of random numbers, and dreams...

But anomalous antimemes are another matter entirely. How do you contain something you can't record or remember? How do you fight a war against an enemy with effortless, perfect camouflage, when you can never even know that you're at war?

Welcome to the Antimemetics Division.

No, this is not your first day.

https://www.amazon.com/There-No-Antimemetics-Division-qntm/dp/B0915M7T61

As you might gather, qntm is a computer guy. I found it helped to imagine the whole thing taking place in a computer. But it doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if qntm were OTP. He'd fit right in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6768 on: 17 May, 2023, 11:07:55 am »
Has he seen the fnords?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6769 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:27:00 pm »
Indeed.  I once wrote a computer game in which you could accidentally trigger an attack by invisible fnords. A distant drone waxed into a roar the closer they got.

« Reply #6770 on: 18 May, 2023, 02:49:39 pm »
"Season of Skulls" by that nice Mr Stross has just turned up.    :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6771 on: 18 May, 2023, 03:13:22 pm »
I'll wait a year and get it half price.

Meanwhile, after The Antiemetics Doo-Dah I've nearly finished another slim volume by qntm, a rather funful frolic called Ed.  I wonder if he's going to do another called vi and a couple more called lex and yacc. (One of Ed's conjectures is that the universe runs on Linux.)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6772 on: 18 May, 2023, 08:49:28 pm »

Started it. I wonder who this early passage could refer to
(click to show/hide)

I am surprised at his writing this time, as he has so far moved from his normal present tense narrative to past tense.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6773 on: 18 May, 2023, 10:04:08 pm »
The Footprints Of God.  Having previously done Stephen King, Greg Iles turns his attention to Dan Brown with a mashup of pseudo-religious claptrap and technobobbins.  While it is every bit as bad as it sounds it is still 4.726 times better than anything that ever escaped from Dan Brown's word processor.

« Reply #6774 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:37:27 pm »

Started it. I wonder who this early passage could refer to
(click to show/hide)

I am surprised at his writing this time, as he has so far moved from his normal present tense narrative to past tense.

Just finished this.  I can now return to trying to read “Pride And Prejudice “…….
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark