Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 847004 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1725 on: 25 January, 2011, 09:07:08 am »
Whee! New Iain Banks!  Surface Detail here.  Cultureiffic.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1726 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:24:55 am »
My last three have been:

Surface Detail  - Ian Banks

I really like this. There again I love all the Culture series.

A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

The first time I have read any Dickens. I licked it and now my read dome of his others though this one is atypical in apparently.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

I'm not normally a reader of crime fiction but I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Good page turner with some nice twists to the plot. Good enough that I have downloaded the other two in the series to my Kindle.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #1727 on: 31 January, 2011, 06:00:07 pm »
My last three have been:

I've just got round to finishing this.  The last word of the Epilogue made me laugh.

Very good book that; one of his best I'd say.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1728 on: 01 February, 2011, 01:08:37 pm »
My last three have been:

I've just got round to finishing this.  The last word of the Epilogue made me laugh.

Very good book that; one of his best I'd say.

I've been stalled around page 220 for about a fortnight :(  Blame it on a Waking The Dead DVD binge...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1729 on: 01 February, 2011, 02:17:31 pm »
Just started Dr Zhivago, the writing is quite beautiful, I love what I call word artists (a couple of words and you have a complete picture as if you were familiar with the scenery - Zola  (Germinal) is like that)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1730 on: 01 February, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »
Just started Dr Zhivago, the writing is quite beautiful, I love what I call word artists (a couple of words and you have a complete picture as if you were familiar with the scenery - Zola  (Germinal) is like that)

Is that the new translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky? I've been wanting to get this since I heard about it because I always felt the first translation into English was a bit crap...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1731 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:39:16 pm »
Got three on the go at the moment:

• On Food And Cooking by Harold McGee - I first encountered this during my PhD almost 20 years ago and thought it was out of print. Not yer average foodie bible, as there's some interesting discussion on the science of cookery (eg. why the technique used to beat egg whites will not work on egg yolks, and why cheese sauce goes all manky if you stop stirring it). It's a good hardcore companion to my copy of Larousse's Gastronomique :)
  • Information Is Beautiful by David McCandless - if you're interested in visualisation of data and/or design then look it up. It presents a variety of datasets in ways you'd never think existed. It'd be a perfect coffee table book if it wasn't so damned interesting.
  • The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit - again, one of those books which is hard to describe but takes a set of basic ingredients and discusses the relative merits of certain combinations, with some accompanying recipes (bacon wrapped bananas, anyone?). I'm tempted to try and make some blueberry and mushroom muffins (a combo which works, apparently)

In more run of the mill terms, I'm also re-reading Brave New World on my iKindlePad1, with a couple of 'start your own business' type books for later.

1 - iPad running the Kindle App :)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1732 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:53:03 pm »
After getting so peed off with the TV series, have begun reading Lark Rise to Candleford. It's very good so far and a time-capture of rural Oxfordshire before real industry set in.

« Reply #1733 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »
Will check when I get home from work

Is that the new translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky? I've been wanting to get this since I heard about it because I always felt the first translation into English was a bit crap...
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #1734 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »
Just finished It's all about the bike by Rob Penn, which I bought new in Oxfam.  Coincidentally I saw the telly programme on the weekend.

He has a blikered view of what a bike is, for him the diamond frame is all there is to be said about cycling, and a bit self indulgent, by a quarter of the way through I couldn't care less about his "dream bike".

There was a big omission as well - he didn't go to see the Carradice ladies.

« Reply #1735 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »
Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott.  A lovely conceit, and a very interesting thought experiment.  Most of the fun was in struggling to imagine an extra, fourth dimension, though the hints of irony in the descriptions of the lower classes and women in Flatland provided some entertainment.

Now reading Dead Air by Iain Banks.  An author whom I always enjoy reading, but the litter of cultural references (bands, books, people) seems a bit forced in this one.  Still, early days.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1736 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »
There's very few Iain or Iain Ms that I haven't enjoyed, but I've had one sat on the bedside table for weeks now without getting around to reading it.  Must do so....  I don't seem to have the attention span to read anything longer than about 3 paragraphs at the moment which is a bit shocking as I've probably read (or re-read) at least 3 or 4 books a week most weeks of my life since before I was a teenager  :-\

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1737 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:58:09 pm »
Greenmantle by John Buchan. The Boy bought me a huge John Buchan volume for Christmas. Completed the Thirty Nine Steps and just about finished Greenmantle.

After that I've been informed i should read The Girl's nanowrimo offering. Bound and everyfink, available on Amazon apparently. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1738 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:03:17 pm »

Often a problem. I remember when I read Hunger, the 1990s translator felt it necessary to comment on the two previous translations. (1) by an English woman soon after publication (1890s IIRC), whose translation he thought accurate & generally close to the right mood, but which deliberately omitted some crucial passages because of their sexual nature, & (2) by an American writer in the 1960s, which was a heap of stinking walrus crap with all the fertilising elements removed, retaining only the foul stench & unpleasant appearance, texture, & staining qualities. The translator didn't understand Norwegian well enough, & also didn't grasp the idea of translating more than just the words.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1739 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
There's very few Iain or Iain Ms that I haven't enjoyed, but I've had one sat on the bedside table for weeks now without getting around to reading it.  Must do so....  I don't seem to have the attention span to read anything longer than about 3 paragraphs at the moment which is a bit shocking as I've probably read (or re-read) at least 3 or 4 books a week most weeks of my life since before I was a teenager  :-\

I haven't read much Iain M stuff - just one book which was OK-ish.  Any recommendations?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1740 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »
Player of Games - and Dearly_Beloved said the same. I like pretty much all of them apart from feersum enjinn or however it's spelt. I couldn't parse any of it as apparently I read very much visually not phonically and it just made my head hurt!  We have a fair old collection if you want to borrow :)

« Reply #1741 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
I might take you up on that.

I t woz Feersum Endjinn wot I redd.  Reminded me of Walking on Glass, as it had the same tripartite structure and throwaway ending.  And I didn't like that too much, either.

« Reply #1742 on: 03 February, 2011, 11:06:57 pm »
Wyrd Sisters - an oldie but a goody, Granny Weatherwax is my favourite of all TP characters.

and

The Secret Life of Birds - by Colin Tudge.  Struggled through the preface (not a good sign) but it was a Christmas gift so I will stick with it.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1743 on: 03 February, 2011, 11:27:09 pm »
I might take you up on that.

I t woz Feersum Endjinn wot I redd.  Reminded me of Walking on Glass, as it had the same tripartite structure and throwaway ending.  And I didn't like that too much, either.

I can't remember anything about feersum endjinn apart from finding it more painful than reading in a foreign language and not enjoying it at all.  But I like walking on glass - although maybe that's because it was the first one I read, which must have been over 25 years ago, and I absolutely loved it.  Never got on with the Wasp Factory tho, and really didn't like the one with the muso on the boat that I can't remember the name of - Canal Dreams, maybe?  I absolutely love Espedair Street, and Complicity, and Whit made me laugh far more than is reasonable for proper literature.

I once bought a friend an Iain Banks novel as a wedding present.  Not sure if that makes me a good friend or a bad one :)

« Reply #1744 on: 03 February, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »
I found the phonetically-written part of Feersum Endjinn the best part to read.  Much like Trainspotting, it took some time to get used, to but it rewarded the effort.  I really can't remember much about the rest of the book.

I'd agree about Canal Dreams - but it's a long time since I read it, and sometimes these things make more sense at the second time of asking. 

Actually, I seem to be quite disparaging about all of his books, even though there's more that I like than I dislike.  On the whole, I enjoyed Walking on Glass, but I just didn't think the three stories fit together terribly well, and one of the narrators was so hard to like. 

The Wasp Factory was the first that I read - I bought my nephew it as a Christmas gift a few years ago, which probably makes me a terrible uncle too. 

The Crow Road remains my favourite - I thought it combined his love of modern settings with such an aching sense of place, and the deep family secrets in the loch, far better than almost anything else of his I've read.  The Steep Approach to Garbadale was pretty much the same book, with slightly different settings and characters.  Still good, mind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1745 on: 04 February, 2011, 01:33:32 pm »
I found the phonetically-written part of Feersum Endjinn the best part to read.  Much like Trainspotting, it took some time to get used, to but it rewarded the effort.  I really can't remember much about the rest of the book.

All that stuff about slofs never fails to crack me up (see .sig) oops, that's on another forum

The Crow Road remains my favourite - I thought it combined his love of modern settings with such an aching sense of place, and the deep family secrets in the loch, far better than almost anything else of his I've read.

And the TV adaptation was good enough for Banksie to describe it as "annoyingly better than the novel in so many ways".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1746 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:07:02 pm »
Often a problem. I remember when I read Hunger, the 1990s translator felt it necessary to comment on the two previous translations. (1) by an English woman soon after publication (1890s IIRC), whose translation he thought accurate & generally close to the right mood, but which deliberately omitted some crucial passages because of their sexual nature, & (2) by an American writer in the 1960s, which was a heap of stinking walrus crap with all the fertilising elements removed, retaining only the foul stench & unpleasant appearance, texture, & staining qualities. The translator didn't understand Norwegian well enough, & also didn't grasp the idea of translating more than just the words.

It's one of the reasons I love both Italo Calvino and Ismail Kadare - they both, in William Weaver and David Bellos respectively, have superlative English translators.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #1747 on: 05 February, 2011, 07:56:38 pm »
I finished Birdsong today. I found it incredibly moving in places.
Not my usual type of book. But I enjoyed it anyway.
I've now resolved to learn more about WW1 and to visit some of the battlefields and memorials next time I'm in France.

BTW: Sebastian Faulks is on BBC2 at 21:00 tonight. Faulks on Fiction.

So, what shall I read next?
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1748 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:46:54 pm »
I think I might start re-reading the James Bond books.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1749 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:53:44 pm »
I finished Birdsong today. I found it incredibly moving in places.
Not my usual type of book. But I enjoyed it anyway.
I've now resolved to learn more about WW1 and to visit some of the battlefields and memorials next time I'm in France.

BTW: Sebastian Faulks is on BBC2 at 21:00 tonight. Faulks on Fiction.

So, what shall I read next?

Maybe not right away but you should try "Testament of Youth" by Vera Brittain sometime, if you haven't already.  But you need to be strong - I pretty much had a breakdown when I'd finished it, though I might have been due for one anyway!  (It's about the loss and futility of the FWW and the terrible cost to her personally.)