Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 847029 times)

border-rider

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1750 on: 05 February, 2011, 10:33:53 pm »

All that stuff about slofs never fails to crack me up

+1

I like most of his stuff; I found The Algebraist slow going and I hated Song of Stone.  Use of Weapons was disturbing.

Excession is fantastic, but it's a boys' book.

« Reply #1751 on: 05 February, 2011, 11:01:06 pm »
While there's some talk of translations...

I've been re-reading a collection of Isaac Babel's short stories, various collections since I lent my first copy of 'collected stories" (translated by Walter Morrison) to someone. With luck I managed to get it back, but only after ordering two similar collections by different translators.

I first replaced it with a translation by Peter Constantine. Then David McDuff. I got rid of the Constantine so I can't demonstrate. It wasn't as good as Morrison. By that I mean it didn't read as good. Here is a paragraph from the story "Guy de Maupassant", Walter Morrison's translation.

"I left the granite house on the Moyka between eleven and twelve, before the sisters and the husband returned from the theatre. I was sober and could have walked a chalk line, but it was pleasanter to stagger, so I swayed from side to side singing in a language I had just invented. Through the tunnels of the streets bounded by lines of street lights the steamy fog billowed. Monsters roared behind the boiling walls. The roads amputated the legs of those walking on them"

Here's McDuff.

"I left the granite house on the Moyka before midnight, when the sisters and husband would return from the theatre. I was sober and could have walked a single board, but it was much better to stagger, and I swayed from side to side, singing loudly in a language I had only just invented. Down the tunnels of the streets, lined by a chain of street lamps, in waves, passed the vapours of the fog. Monsters roared behind seething walls. The wooden pavements cut off the legs of those who walked upon them.

I prefer Morrison. Especially amputated! I'm not so sure about steamy fog (but it's better than vapours), or one or two of those commas, but it beats the other two.

« Reply #1752 on: 06 February, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »
I finished Birdsong today. I found it incredibly moving in places.
So, what shall I read next?
I liked Birdsong, but not Charlotte Gray nor The Girl at the Lion d'Or.  Have you tried the Pat Barker Regeneration trilogy?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1753 on: 06 February, 2011, 03:12:16 pm »
Don Quixote.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #1754 on: 06 February, 2011, 09:00:25 pm »
Pandemonium by Christopher Brookmyre.

I always find his books hard to get into.  This time I was half way through before the story takes off and then its a great, can't put it down read.

Dave

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1755 on: 06 February, 2011, 09:12:19 pm »
I've only read one of his - Quite Ugly One Morning - but it left me with no desire to read another.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1756 on: 07 February, 2011, 10:55:30 am »
Shunt - Tom Rubython's breeze-block sized biography of James Hunt.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1757 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:58:16 am »
Patrick O'Brian's HMS Surprise and, although I've found it a moderately good read, I don't think this am equal to Richard Woodman's chronicles of Nathaniel Drinkwater (based around a real-life character) and, having devoured the first 2 volumes (6 books already) have now ordered, and await with drooling lips, the 3rd and 4th volumes. Yum-yum!

As the Observer er, observes… 'Action to the bone, no romantic bilgewater'.

Has plenty of sailing jargonese and old words that has me 'scrambling', as if called 'to arms', for the dictionary.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1758 on: 08 February, 2011, 01:28:43 pm »
Ray Mears, Essential Bushcraft.

He always reminds me of an overgrown boy scout, but the book is surprisingly informative and very well written. Even better, its one of those rare books that you can dip in and out of pretty much at random and still learn something useful  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1759 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:24:43 pm »
Re-reading Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith.

Clever, original sci-fi refound when I was clearing room in the bookcases.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1760 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:16:30 pm »
I finished Birdsong today. I found it incredibly moving in places.
Not my usual type of book. But I enjoyed it anyway.
I've now resolved to learn more about WW1 and to visit some of the battlefields and memorials next time I'm in France.

Having visited Newfoundland Park I get the impression that Faulks used it as the setting for the end of Birdsong.  Worth a visit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1761 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:39:59 pm »
Patrick O'Brian's HMS Surprise and, although I've found it a moderately good read, I don't think this am equal to Richard Woodman's chronicles of Nathaniel Drinkwater (based around a real-life character) and, having devoured the first 2 volumes (6 books already) have now ordered, and await with drooling lips, the 3rd and 4th volumes. Yum-yum!

As the Observer er, observes… 'Action to the bone, no romantic bilgewater'.

Has plenty of sailing jargonese and old words that has me 'scrambling', as if called 'to arms', for the dictionary.

The first Aubrey/Maturin novel "Master and Commander," and indeed the character of Jack Aubrey, is based on Cochrane, in particular his adventures in the Med.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1762 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »
I think I might start re-reading the James Bond books.

Just started Doctor No . . . A copy I bought in August 1976

'Three weeks later, in London, March came in like a rattlesnake . . .' Brill!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1763 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:27:01 pm »
Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas"

It's twisted... very twisted...  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1764 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:28:52 am »
Shunt - Tom Rubython's breeze-block sized biography of James Hunt.

Oh dear.  If you want a biography of James Hunt, read the one by Gerald Donaldson.  That way you won't be plagued with diabolical standards of proof-reading1 and stupid factual errors2.  It's up there with Brock Yates' biography of Enzo Ferrari which, IIRC, turned Gerhard Berger into a German on practically the first page.

I needed something to read on the tube yesterday and as a result am about a third of the way through Malcolm Pryce's From Aberystwyth With Love.  Well up to snuff.

1 - Hunt had a toy ape which, the first time it was mentioned, was a gorilla.  In the next sentence it had morphed into a guerilla :o
2 - Niki Lauda couldn't possibly have been given a 288 GTO when he signed for Ferrari.

« Reply #1765 on: 16 February, 2011, 01:44:44 pm »
Fall of giants by Ken Follett.Historical fiction covering the first world war and the Russian revolution.800 pages long,a good read. :thumbsup:

« Reply #1766 on: 16 February, 2011, 07:44:49 pm »
So was Hunter S Thompson

Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas"

It's twisted... very twisted...  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1767 on: 17 February, 2011, 08:04:15 am »
Dan Brown - Deception Point.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1768 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:01:29 am »
Bloody hell.  Someone admits to reading Dan Brown in a forum renowned for its erudition?

Redclaw ~ Philip Palmer.  Not-terribly-good sci-fi.

« Reply #1769 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:44:52 am »
History of the World in a 100 Objects (an Xmas prezzie from the daughter).

In general I share the historian's amused disdain for archaeologists, but it really is rather well constructed and certainly demonstrates an unusually broad and wide ranging knowledge, with seemingly disparate "items" and their socio-economic origins placed in the genuinely "bigger picture".
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1770 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:48:39 am »
Bloody hell.  Someone admits to reading Dan Brown in a forum renowned for its erudition?

Never mind that, I'm reading Denis Wheatley's The Devil Rides Out.

Well, I've read all the good books on the shelves in the kitchen at work.  I've even read the appalling Agatha Christie :-\

I know that TDRO was written in the 30s, but my goodness it is racist.  Among other things, while condemning the Nazis for anti-semitism, Wheatley repeatedly refers to one of the principal characters as 'The Jew...'. ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #1771 on: 17 February, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
Odd is it not that even in this enlightened age the J word is still mostly accepted as ok while (quite rightly) the N or P word is not.
    Having said that I still do not understand how a religion transformed itself into a nationality (maybe I should start a thread on this one)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1772 on: 17 February, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »
Just finished "The Carhullan Army" by Sarah Hall
Now reading Joseph Conrad's "The Secret Agent"

I am trying to read a few books this year

« Reply #1773 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:51:04 pm »
Just finished "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know" the updated autobiography of Ranulph Feinnes (Voldemort's cousin apparently.)

This includes the infamous "I sawed my own fingers off with a fretsaw" paragraph :o

Clearly a bit of a lad, but a likeable and inspirational one.  Climbing the North Face of the Eiger after cutting your own frostbitten fingers off is the work of a hard* man.

* saves carrying a second ice pick ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1774 on: 18 February, 2011, 07:15:44 am »
Odd is it not that even in this enlightened age the J word is still mostly accepted as ok while (quite rightly) the N or P word is not.
    Having said that I still do not understand how a religion transformed itself into a nationality (maybe I should start a thread on this one)

A new thread might be interesting, though it is likely to be littered with Palestinian/Israeli comments.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...