Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 847000 times)

ravenbait

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1925 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
Have just started The Bolter, by Frances Osborne. Looks promising. It's about her grandmother, Idina Sackville, who was a woman long before her time.

Sam

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1926 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:26:56 pm »
Re-read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, a rather good fictionally presented but pretty faithful account of the Battle of Gettysburg. I might watch the (lengthy) film tonight).

« Reply #1927 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:42:27 am »
There's plenty of evidence to link the plays to someone called William Shakespear, & a total lack of any other candidate of that name.

I'd be interested to see it, if you have any links?  The argument as I have heard it is that WS couldn't possibly have written the plays as he lacked the necessary education and experience - so who did? - and de Vere is the most likely candidate, though others such as Marlowe have been cited.  DV may even have paid WS as a stooge - there's something in his widow's will about a payment to "my dumb man".

Don't have any more time for this till next week now, but could start a new thread on it then.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #1928 on: 12 May, 2011, 09:29:54 pm »
Just finished the first in the trilogy of "Berlin Noir" by Philip Kerr. Set in 1930's Berlin, the main character is a private detective and it's written in the style of Philip Marlow ("she had the kind of smile that would make the Pope go weak at the knees"). Well written and a good storyline, a bit gruesome at the end but looking forward to reading the second and third now.

« Reply #1929 on: 14 May, 2011, 09:41:47 pm »
There's plenty of evidence to link the plays to someone called William Shakespear, & a total lack of any other candidate of that name.

I'd be interested to see it, if you have any links?  The argument as I have heard it is that WS couldn't possibly have written the plays as he lacked the necessary education and experience - so who did? -
Indeed - and that, as far as I can see, is the entire argument. But note that it is equally applicable to Ben Jonson (began his career as a bricklayer, like his father), among others. The other supposed arguments are all specious. The lack of letters, diaries, etc., for example, applies equally to many writers of his time, e.g. Christopher Marlowe (the son of a shoemaker). Nobody back then saw any reason to preserve then.

There's the rub: the case against Shakespeare relies on applying a different standard to him than to his contemporaries. If one compares the case for de Vere, with that for Shakespeare, it quickly becomes clear that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that de Vere had eny had at all in any of the plays or poems attributed to Shakespear. He's just the sort of person who anti-Stratfordians think ought to have written them.

Wikipedia has several links, & Google turns up plenty more. Many books written on the subject, of which The Case for Shakespeare, by Scott McCrea, is recent & seems to be highly regarded. I've read older studies, but years ago, & can't remember titles. I do remember that their arguments against Will S were no better than those on the de Vere Society website, once one compared them with the pro-Shakespear evidence. The pro-de Vere 'evidence' tends to be of the 'that bit of plain language is actually an encrypted message proving that de Vere wrote  the lot', type.

The arguments that Shakespear (probably grammar school boy: it would have been normal for a prosperous tradesman such as his father to send his son the local grammar school, a short walk away) incorporated influences from & references to Greek plays which he wouldn't have read are silly. He'd probably have been able to read Latin translations, & there were plenty of English works which made reference to Greek plays, in sufficient detail for a bright bloke immersed in the theatre to have picked 'em up damn quick. One comment I've read elsewhere:
When people actively and militantly disbelieve that a creative and intelligent person could continue to educate themself post formal schooling, they say much about themselves and nothing at all about the subject of their disbelief.

They also overlook that his classical knowledge was actually rather weak, as was some of his geography (mocked in his lifetime, note), & he made frequent references to grammar school.

Ben Jonson wrote that he knew Shakespeare personally, & that Shakespeare wrote plays. Jonson endorsed the First Folio, & I can't see why anyone would believe that Jonson, who should have known, would pretend that the plays were by someone other than the true author. De Vere had been dead for almost 20 years: what secret was there to keep?

The Oxfordian view requires that during Shakespeare's lifetime & soon after, and after de Vere's death,  large numbers of people who know Shakespeare & had worked with him would collude to attribute works to Shakespeare that they almost certainly knew he hadn't written. It assumes that other playwrights who collaborated with Shakespeare after Oxford's death were in on the pretence, & never let it slip.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1930 on: 14 May, 2011, 09:43:56 pm »
Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey

I looked at the first page & recognised the author as a kindred spirit.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1931 on: 15 May, 2011, 01:32:17 am »
Just whipped through The Army of the Republic by Stuart Archer Cohen, which is a kind of 'what if the Tea Party win?' US anarchistish thriller. It's competent enough, but to be honest, apart from a couple of sex scenes, it's no more politically sophisticated or grown up in its writing than Cory Doctorow's young adult 'manual for revolution', Little Brother.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1932 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:59:19 am »
The fear of flying _ erica jong

Its supposed to about psychaitrists and supposed to be and erotic novel written by a woman.

At the moment seems to be written for men which is not what I thought it would be.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1933 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »
Just finished the first in the trilogy of "Berlin Noir" by Philip Kerr. Set in 1930's Berlin, the main character is a private detective and it's written in the style of Philip Marlow ("she had the kind of smile that would make the Pope go weak at the knees"). Well written and a good storyline, a bit gruesome at the end but looking forward to reading the second and third now.

Yay - its good to see another Bernie Gunter reader on here! Yes it was gruesome towards the end but they are very exciting to read.

I've started working back in public libraries again so its like being a kid in a candy store again  :)

I finished 'Lavinia' by Ursula le Guin a few days ago. It is her homage to Vergil's The Aeneids and I thought she put flesh on the bones of it.

I've just finished reading 'One Day' by David Nicholls. One of the best written books I have ever ever read. I had to flee to the bathroom to read the latter part of the book as I was crying so much (and the husband would have looked at me like I was deranged  ;D). Cannot stop thinking about the characters - for me thats the sign of a brilliant book.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1934 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:58:27 pm »
Thanks HW. I now know which book I will read next. I loved the Aeneid when I was young. My dad was a bit of an intellectual in many ways, despite leaving school aged 14 and working as a projectionist. He had shelves full of secondhand paperbacks, many of which I still have including Graves translations of the Greek myths, Ovid, Virgil, Homer.I loved all that stuff. I'm interested to see what Le Guin makes of Lavinia. Especially as Virgil didn't really develop her character at all.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1935 on: 15 May, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I'm enjoying it. I seem to be quite into books originating from the former Soviet Union, what with my penchant for Andrey Kurkov too. Probably cos' they're a bit mad ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1936 on: 17 May, 2011, 11:20:57 am »
The Hypnotist ~ "Lars Kepler".  Better-than-average Swedish crimething, though whether the constant switches between past and present tenses are a quirk of the translation or an Original Feature I know not.  Either way it's annoying and pseudy.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1937 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »
After listening to a podcast interview with Gary Shteyngart, I've ordered a copy of Super Sad True Love Story. Looking forward to that.

Now reading and enjoying very much. Like a funnysexysmart Nineteen Eighty-Four. He draws a very convincing near-future dystopia - the äppärät device that features heavily is too close to the iPhone for comfort.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1938 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »
After listening to a podcast interview with Gary Shteyngart, I've ordered a copy of Super Sad True Love Story. Looking forward to that.

Now reading and enjoying very much. Like a funnysexysmart Nineteen Eighty-Four. He draws a very convincing near-future dystopia - the äppärät device that features heavily is too close to the iPhone for comfort.

It was one of my books of the year. I had a personal campaign to get it nominated for all kinds of SF awards, but spectacularly unsuccessfully.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1939 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:26:04 pm »
"Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven", their tour manager Richard Cole's account of debauchery.  Anyone remember when Chris N was known as redsnapper?  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1940 on: 19 May, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »
Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey - by Mike Parker.

I looked at the first page & recognised the author as a kindred spirit.
Correction: thought I recognised the author as a kindred spirit. A curate's egg of a book. I wouldn't buy it, recommend it, or read it again, but there are bits in it which make me not regret having read it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1942 on: 22 May, 2011, 02:20:49 pm »
I've just bought Wide-Eyed and Legless - Inside the Tour de France by Jeff Connor.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1943 on: 28 May, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »
Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada. Set in 1940's Berlin, an elderly couple start leaving cards around the city denouncing Hitler. The characters are so well drawn and despite the awfulness of the situation there are moments of humour.

« Reply #1944 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »
Just finished "Alex's adventured in numberland". An interesting romp through some maths history and theory with some brain and language development stuff thrown in for good measure.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1945 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:51:16 pm »
Finishing Stephen Lawhead's The Endless Knot (having read the first two of the trilogy in super quick time)then going to move onto Bad Blood.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1946 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:48:19 am »
Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada. Set in 1940's Berlin, an elderly couple start leaving cards around the city denouncing Hitler. The characters are so well drawn and despite the awfulness of the situation there are moments of humour.

I finished this yesterday. What a fabulous book. For its bleak content it is an uplifting piece of literature - ultimately welcoming death as a friend and benefactor against a cruel world.

Am now reading A Hidden Affair by Pam Jenoff. Not brilliant tbh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1947 on: 30 May, 2011, 12:14:52 pm »
I'm trying to remember where I heard about Alone In Berlin recently - probably on the Guardian books podcast. But I do remember thinking it sounded interesting. I'll add it to the list...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1948 on: 30 May, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »
I'm trying to remember where I heard about Alone In Berlin recently - probably on the Guardian books podcast. But I do remember thinking it sounded interesting. I'll add it to the list...

d.

You probably have - they have just rediscovered a missing chapter from the original transcript. Apparently it adds a significant change to the book. They are planning on a new edition with the extra chapter as an appendix.

« Reply #1949 on: 30 May, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »

d.

You probably have - they have just rediscovered a missing chapter from the original transcript. Apparently it adds a significant change to the book. They are planning on a new edition with the extra chapter as an appendix.

I heard the radio4 version on "Classic Serial" last year and thought it moving in a way that would normally only happen with a true story.  I think I'll read the book too.