Author Topic: Recommend me some books.  (Read 7672 times)

LindaG

Recommend me some books.
« on: 11 July, 2013, 12:16:09 pm »
About strong, resourceful, single women who aren't needy and who look after themselves really well and are happy.  Happy in themselves without needing a man.

Books to inspire an old bag of 45 who finds herself on the shelf and a bit lost.

Thank you.

Re: Recommend me some books.
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:25:25 pm »
Any Dervla Murphy book.

Doesn't been 'on the shelf' mean something that is available to be taken down and admired?   
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »
I recently read Stella Newman's two books, which I forget the name of. They're similar to standard "chick-lit" but the story focuses much more on the heroines' career problems, and she doesn't give them the traditional "got the bloke" happy ending. I found them quite refreshing in a frothy supermarket paperback kind of way.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:08:33 pm »
Any Dervla Murphy book.
Or Riding to Jerusalem by Bettina Selby might appeal to you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »
Anne Mustoe wrote a few bike touring books. She was a bit reliant on other people doing stuff for her though.
PM me an address & I'll pop them in the post.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »
Sarah Hall, The Carhullan Army.  But definitely not Haweswater

LindaG

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:54:04 pm »
Anne Mustoe wrote a few bike touring books. She was a bit reliant on other people doing stuff for her though.
PM me an address & I'll pop them in the post.

Thanks Andrew that is kind, but I'm afraid I don't really get on with Anne Mustoe's writing style.

Before my opening post I put The Long Walk Home by Judith Tebbutt, and Desert Snow by Helen Eliott on my list.

LindaG

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »
I read Stone Junction recently which has a wonderful strong female character in it. That was most helpful.

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:05:39 pm »
For a tough woman overcoming adversity how about "If You Fall" by paralympian Karen Darke ?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/If-You-Fall-Its-Beginning/dp/1905047886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373547754&sr=8-1&keywords=karen+darke

LindaG

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:14:16 pm »
I recently read Stella Newman's two books, which I forget the name of. They're similar to standard "chick-lit" but the story focuses much more on the heroines' career problems, and she doesn't give them the traditional "got the bloke" happy ending. I found them quite refreshing in a frothy supermarket paperback kind of way.

I like a bit of supermarket froth  :)

For a tough woman overcoming adversity how about "If You Fall" by paralympian Karen Darke ?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/If-You-Fall-Its-Beginning/dp/1905047886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373547754&sr=8-1&keywords=karen+darke

Noted. Thank you.

Also on the list.

Any Dervla Murphy book.

I Lerve Dervla!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:21:48 pm »
Before my opening post I put The Long Walk Home by Judith Tebbutt... on my list.

I think that's the Book of the Week on R4.  And there's an article in t'Guardian.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:33:17 pm »
I have the siberia and balkans one if you want to borrow them. The siberian one is great. Balkans is very serious and heavy reading. I found it depressing. It's probably her most academic work.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:39:23 pm »
I have the siberia and balkans one if you want to borrow them. The siberian one is great. Balkans is very serious and heavy reading. I found it depressing. It's probably her most academic work.

Yes please to the Siberia one.  I really don't want depressing, thanks all the same  :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »
I was going to list the Stella Newman ones on Amazon - I can post them to you if you want. I don't want them back, they're not weighty enough to be worthy of a re-read.

LindaG

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »
I was going to list the Stella Newman ones on Amazon - I can post them to you if you want. I don't want them back, they're not weighty enough to be worthy of a re-read.

It's OK thanks, I have them already on order  :)

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2013, 02:50:39 pm »
Who is this "old bag of 45" of whom you speak? Nice of you to do a favour for a friend  ;)

I googled. It sent me
This
Don't. Just don't. They're not all bad, but they're (almost) all depressing.

This
Better. Much better.

And these
Where you have to read The Bottom Half Of The Internet, but they, largely, despair too.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »
In the category of historical non-fiction (which may or may not interest you ) theses 3 women spring to mind as being strong & resourceful

Mary Queen of Scots
Mary I: Bloody Mary
Elizabeth I;The Virgin Queen

Perhaps Mary Stewart was happier with a man in her life:Mary Tudor eventually managed without a bloke & Elizabeth reputedly never "knew" one.Varying degrees of needy displayed by them.

Who can say for certain if they were happy?

There are some good biographies published.If you are interested I can provide more info..

& who is this "old bag" to whom you refer?
 :hand: with the self deprication & consider yourself rebuked for same.Said with a  :-*
No one I know who knows you would describe you as such.I know of 3 fellas who think you are rather spiffing. ;)

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »

Yes please to the Siberia one.  I really don't want depressing, thanks all the same  :)
Are you coming to one of the social rides in the nearish future?  Needing to deliver books could be the extra incentive I need to get to one.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #18 on: 11 July, 2013, 03:34:22 pm »
Susan Quinn's biography of Marie Curie is quite good.

Hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: 11 July, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »
THIS  ;)

« Reply #20 on: 11 July, 2013, 05:23:14 pm »

I'm currently reading this, I can post it to you Linda in a week or so if you'd like?

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #21 on: 11 July, 2013, 08:04:11 pm »
I'm currently reading this, I can post it to you Linda in a week or so if you'd like?

Just found my copy - I can send you it if you can't bear to wait that long  ;)

« Reply #22 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »
Back home and I can see my bookshelves.  Not much "real" stuff by tough, capable women. The aforementioned Mustoe & Darke are keeping company with Dervla Murphy, Josie Dew & Rachel North.

Hearing Birds Fly by an old school acquaintance is also worth a read.

I've a few SF books featuring tough, capable kick-ass women, but I can't really picture you as Molly  ;)

If you want to borrow any of the above let me know.

PS. What Jogler said !

LindaG

« Reply #23 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:53:46 pm »

LindaG

« Reply #24 on: 12 July, 2013, 09:00:10 am »
Who is this "old bag of 45" of whom you speak? Nice of you to do a favour for a friend  ;)

I googled. It sent me
This
Don't. Just don't. They're not all bad, but they're (almost) all depressing.

This
Better. Much better.

And these
Where you have to read The Bottom Half Of The Internet, but they, largely, despair too.

Boab it seems Google is your kung fu. And your kung fu is strong.