Author Topic: Irreverent Wedding Music  (Read 2811 times)

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
Irreverent Wedding Music
« on: 28 May, 2012, 11:20:31 pm »
Having had irreverent funeral music, how about its counterpart?

I'll kick off with a friend who had The Internationale played at the end of the wedding to exit the church - at a Catholic church to boot (they didn't tell the priest).

At our wedding we gears exited to the seventeenth century song When cannons are roaring, set for organ by a talented friend.

What have yacfers heard? 

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Irreverent Wedding Music
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2012, 11:23:33 pm »
I assume <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S9J7XE-ctMU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/S9J7XE-ctMU&rel=1</a> has been done many, many, times.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:25:51 am »
I wanted the bride to enter to the "Ride of the Valkyries" at my wedding, but was outvoted.   ;D

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2012, 01:18:39 am »
Friends had the organist play "Let's face the music and dance" whilst the crowds were amassing in the church.

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2012, 02:23:40 pm »
I've always had a hankering to enter to the Imperial March from Star Wars.

Not sure I've actually got the nerve to do it though. MFWHTBAB may be pleased to hear this...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »
"Ten Commandments of Man" by Prince Buster

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BVKVB_8hwqk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BVKVB_8hwqk&rel=1</a>
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »
I heard on the radio the other day, on a request show, someone had had "November Rain" by G'n'R as her wedding music.  The wedding was in November, so she thought it was fitting.  I guess she didn't think about the implications of what the chorus says, nor the video.

If you are not aware of this what:

(click to show/hide)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

Not sure I've actually got the nerve to do it though. MFWHTBAB may be pleased to hear this...

There are an alarmingly large number of images of Star Wars weddings on the web. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

a friend did this, with the organist playing it beautifully -  much to her husbands surprise....

it was fantastic, although it took us all a while to realise what he way playing!

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:24:52 pm »
Not having the usual cheesy wedding disco was something that was really important to us when we got hitched two years ago.
So, we had a mixture of the better end of recent pop, 60s Motown and Atlantic Soul and indie hits.

There was lots of music that people probably didn't expect to hear at a wedding, but the highlights were the first dance (Being Around by the Lemonheads - sample lyric: "if I was a booger, would you blow your nose"), Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division and There is a Light That Never Goes Out by the Smiths ('cos we sing that one in the car).

I guess the point is - we had lots of music that we actually like and some stuff that really means something to us, rather than what an amateur DJ thinks a wedding should be like.  People also danced.  So - hurrah for irreverent wedding music - it means something to the people getting married.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »
The Beautiful South's "Don't Marry Her (F**k Me)" is a favourite.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:01:29 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »
The minister who married us advised us not to choose "Dear Lord and Father of mankind", which continues: "Forgive our foolish ways! Reclothe us in our rightful mind..."

John Henry

« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
The minister who married us advised us not to choose "Dear Lord and Father of mankind", which continues: "Forgive our foolish ways! Reclothe us in our rightful mind..."

I've been to a lot of church weddings (was a bell-ringer) and I reckon this got played at about a third of them. Always made me chuckle a bit.

We had the Oysterband's 'Blood Wedding' played as the second song at the reception.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iGKvnUm3OFE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iGKvnUm3OFE&rel=1</a>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »

Yeah, me too. And I would definitely have the nerve to do it.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #15 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:48:05 pm »

Yeah, me too. And I would definitely have the nerve to do it.  ;D

My friends exited the (non church) ceremony to that!   :thumbsup:
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »
Think my choice would be the same as my funeral one, "You Can't AlwaysGet What You Want" by the carolling Stones :demon:

« Reply #17 on: 30 May, 2012, 07:31:37 am »

We had this at our wedding, quite deliberately.  ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #18 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »
We we're both fiery and 'debated' quite a lot.  People commented that we wouldn't last a year, (20 years later we are still together when most of them are not) so we chose  'Fight the Good Fight'.  Well it made us laugh.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 30 May, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
When my older sister got married for the first time, almost 50 years ago, the groom, who had been in the merchant navy, insisted on "For those in peril on the sea".

"The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel is asking for trouble.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #20 on: 30 May, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
We had Mr Bungle - Vanity Fair playing as the bride walked in, but my brother kind of lessened the impact by not turning the stereo up enough.  My favourite bit though was right after the ceremony finished, we blased out Weezer - Suzanne (wife's name!).

I'd love to share some experiences of family/friend's weddings, but TBH, they were boring as fuck.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #21 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »

I'm getting married next year, on May the fourth...

« Reply #22 on: 30 May, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »
Glad to be Gay?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #23 on: 30 May, 2012, 07:47:49 pm »

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #24 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:30:48 am »
Mrs Torslanda - she of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate - suggested 'Mission Impossible' which would be a crippler as you can't walk down the aisle to a piece of music in 5/4 time.

From Genesis 'Dance on a Volcano' for its opening lines:
Holy mother of God, you've got to
Go faster than that to get to the top
. . .
AND for it being in a stupid time signature (13/8 or summat)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.