Author Topic: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do  (Read 41414 times)

Re: Knocked off - tell me what I need to do
« Reply #75 on: 22 September, 2016, 07:23:23 am »
Somewhat amazed that you're thinking about the turbo already.

You might want to consider something like Huel or other meal replacement drinks.

I've just been adding protein powder to smoothies so far, but the issue I've got is that my mouth is so full of stitches, I cant really suck. Am basically tilting my head back, gulping, and hoping for the best. My tongue and lips are all so cut, I can't really feel what's going on.

On the upside, the nutribullet has cheered by boys up. They made a concoction of nuts, ice cream and bakewell tart for themselves last night.

« Reply #76 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:17:05 am »
That's nasty DrM. Wish you a speedy recovery, gws.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #77 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:35:49 am »
I had a really close friend who had a bad horse riding accident. All her upper teeth, most on lower one side smashed out, all the bone on one side of her face smashed to small pieces (the surgeon told me not one piece larger than his little fingernail), they had to remove the bone and cartilage from her nose completely. She lost sight in one eye.

These days the only trace of the accident is a thin scar under her eye.
It took a while.

So, horrific as things are at this time, they will not stay like this. It will be a long hard road.
Don't let the kids monopolise the nutribullet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #78 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:55:21 am »
There's a thread about dental implants here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78428.0

Anecdatum: for me it took a year from the decision to go ahead with an implant to the end of the process (there were a couple of short delays) and it cost well into four figures for one implant (private) + crown (NHS).

LMT

« Reply #79 on: 22 September, 2016, 09:57:07 am »
Yes, £5-£10k dental costs have been mentioned. A couple of weeks back, I was CoI on a big grant with dentists. First thing I did on arrival was email colleagues and ask for help. A consultant came up to check what was being done, and I'm being put in touch with an adult reconstructive surgeon. No idea what he'll do different than usual implants.

However, that's all a way off. They want to try to stabilise the remaining teeth first, and the surgeon was concerned that the upper jaw was fractured. I will have the splint for a month. In good news...

1) tracked down bike and mate retrieved. It's a write off, but it's nice to know it's safe.
2) got OIC name and badge, plus incident number. Neighbour is a PC, and is helping me stay on top of that - hoping for driving without due care and attention.
3) emailed Slater Gordon
4) got 200 tablets of codeine from GP
5) arranged physio to look me over.
6) bought nutribullet < can't eat solids

Not bad for someone who's not left his bed. Trying not to think about how long it's all going to take to fix my teeth. Focused on getting my costs all sorted and thinking about quite how nice a replacement bike I might get.

Ankles, hands and neck are all too tweaked to zwift yet. To be honest, the hardest bit is seeing my wife and kids reacting to the state of my face. It scares my boys, and it's made my wife nearly faint twice. I've asked her to write all this down.

If you still find the pain uncomfortable then ask your GP for a scrip for Tramadol. I had these after I fractured my hip and they take away the pain as well as making you high as a kite. ;D

Regarding the nutribullet - if you are not allergic to soy and I believe you are a vegan? If so I recommend blends of fortified soy milk, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, oats, spinach, bananas and broccoli. These should satisfy your dietary needs regarding being plant based and all the essential fats you'll need.

GWS.

EDIT: Forgot to add to the above, some Brazil nuts.

« Reply #80 on: 22 September, 2016, 10:17:46 am »
Thanks so much for the food advice. Currently coping on codeine. Only thing I'm finding tricky with smoothies is that they have to be really runny, as I have to pour them pretty much straight down my throat. Other than fruit based stuff with soya yogurt and seeds, I've been putting half a bag of salad in with a tin in lentil soup. That was almost manageable.

« Reply #81 on: 22 September, 2016, 10:31:52 am »
Get some senna pod. Codeine is evil and will bung you up. Takes about 3 doses to do that to me, I've never lasted more than 4 days before swearing to never take the stuff again.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #82 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:15:57 pm »
err not much more to add, get well soon, that does look horrific.

Its going to take time, but you seem to be looking forward anyway, so that is a good sign.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #83 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:18:36 pm »
Yes, £5-£10k dental costs have been mentioned. A couple of weeks back, I was CoI on a big grant with dentists. First thing I did on arrival was email colleagues and ask for help. A consultant came up to check what was being done, and I'm being put in touch with an adult reconstructive surgeon. No idea what he'll do different than usual implants.

However, that's all a way off. They want to try to stabilise the remaining teeth first, and the surgeon was concerned that the upper jaw was fractured. I will have the splint for a month. In good news...

1) tracked down bike and mate retrieved. It's a write off, but it's nice to know it's safe.
2) got OIC name and badge, plus incident number. Neighbour is a PC, and is helping me stay on top of that - hoping for driving without due care and attention.
3) emailed Slater Gordon
4) got 200 tablets of codeine from GP
5) arranged physio to look me over.
6) bought nutribullet < can't eat solids

Not bad for someone who's not left his bed. Trying not to think about how long it's all going to take to fix my teeth. Focused on getting my costs all sorted and thinking about quite how nice a replacement bike I might get.

Ankles, hands and neck are all too tweaked to zwift yet. To be honest, the hardest bit is seeing my wife and kids reacting to the state of my face. It scares my boys, and it's made my wife nearly faint twice. I've asked her to write all this down.

Ouch - the initial post brought back a lot of memories of when I smashed my 2 front teeth by walking out in front of a bus (it was parked at the time, it was the car overtaking the bus that hit me!) I had to have a sit down after opening the thread!

I finally went for implants after over 20 years of falsies, circa £2K per tooth.  They do take a lot of aftercare compared with normal teeth (if you don't already floss etc).

What swung getting them for me was a consultation with  Dr. Anthony Clough (he's the principal dentist at my dentist in Chelmsford).  "He was appointed Senior Dental Advisor to LOCOG during the recent Olympic Games held in London . He also acts as a Dental advisor for the IOC, British Boxing team, The rowers and Alpine ski Team." which means he has a lot of experience with sports related dental fixing (i.e. smashed out teeth)

http://www.sharrow-dental-care.co.uk/ourteam

Sounds like you might have it all in progress, but hope the above helps.

GWS!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #84 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:45:51 pm »
Ouchy ouchy.  It sounds like you've got most things under control(ish).  The reaction of your family is definitely one to mention to your solicitor - that's a real impact on you and your kids/wife that is very hard to quantify.

My only advice beyond what has already been said is to be wary of needing to tell everybody that you meet about it.  When you get out and about, people will see you and naturally ask what happened (whether you know them or not).  I found that repeatedly telling people what had happened was actually really bad for my mental health and was quite upsetting and draining.  Don't be afraid of telling people that you had an accident but don't want to talk about it.  You might find talking helps; but you might not. 

I am, however, quite impressed that you were able to type so coherently after being given morphine. 

« Reply #85 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:56:40 pm »
Also, definitely impressed by your activity on another thread (or perhaps more than one!)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #86 on: 22 September, 2016, 03:54:43 pm »
Really sorry to come across this and what's happened to you Mekers. You might also be suffering from whiplash and concussion, which might not become immediately apparent due to the drugs the hospital have given you. Things might come 'out' physically (and mentally) a few days further down the line.

Keep a daily diary of of how you feel, all the aches pain, inability to sleep, because you will forget. The brain will try and protect you by making you forget what's happened, like mine did.

Keep all the packages of the meds you're taking.

Receipts of everything.

Get a solicitor involved too.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #87 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:08:03 pm »
They made a concoction of nuts, ice cream and bakewell tart for themselves last night.

That's nasty DrM.

Yeah, sounds revolting.

On a slightly more serious note, I'm impressed at how on top of things you seem to be - I would probably have just been lying in bed crying the whole time. Hope the painkillers are doing a job at least.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #88 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:33:18 pm »
There's been lots of tears. My eldest is going through the process of autism diagnostic testing at the mo, and as you can imagine, he's really struggling to cope. He refuse to come home yesterday, and told my wife that he can't cope with seeing me and is staying away from me so he doesn't have to think about it.

I listened in on a teleconference earlier, but by the end, I was shivering and shaking and collapsed in to bed and slept for two hours.

Early days

Chris S

« Reply #89 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »
There's been lots of tears. My eldest is going through the process of autism diagnostic testing at the mo, and as you can imagine, he's really struggling to cope. He refuse to come home yesterday, and told my wife that he can't cope with seeing me and is staying away from me so he doesn't have to think about it.

I listened in on a teleconference earlier, but by the end, I was shivering and shaking and collapsed in to bed and slept for two hours.

Early days

This is hard to handle. I had the same when I had chickenpox so bad that I turned into some nightmareish freakshow (face swollen beyond recognition, both eyes closed like I'd been punched, pus everywhere - you get the picture) and my young'uns wouldn't/couldn't go anywhere near me; even in the same house. It's a temporary thing, and kids (even autistic ones) are robust.

Man up Doc - your kids'll be fine - look after yourself.

« Reply #90 on: 23 September, 2016, 10:45:07 am »

Hmm... Not sure whether this is in error or not. In the phone call yesterday, they said they did want to take it on.

« Reply #91 on: 23 September, 2016, 10:58:13 am »
 Called me back - computer error. Phew.

« Reply #92 on: 23 September, 2016, 11:33:16 am »
Phew indeed!!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #93 on: 23 September, 2016, 11:45:54 am »
Crikey - that must have got your pulse rate up!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #94 on: 23 September, 2016, 12:00:52 pm »
Yes indeed, albeit my dead Garmin means I can't quantify that for you.

« Reply #95 on: 23 September, 2016, 06:21:34 pm »
Oh dear, just seen this.
GWS DrM and good luck with both healing and claiming.

« Reply #96 on: 23 September, 2016, 06:49:53 pm »
Just seen this after a few days in doc myself after stacking it myself and frankly your making me feel a lot better about my fractured pelvis and sacrum , get well soon hope to see you on the road next year (maybe both on new bikes) 😉

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #97 on: 23 September, 2016, 10:13:57 pm »
Best wishes, pieman!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #98 on: 24 September, 2016, 11:51:35 pm »

Early days

This is hard to handle. I had the same when I had chickenpox so bad that I turned into some nightmareish freakshow (face swollen beyond recognition, both eyes closed like I'd been punched, pus everywhere - you get the picture) and my young'uns wouldn't/couldn't go anywhere near me; even in the same house. It's a temporary thing, and kids (even autistic ones) are robust.

Man up Doc - your kids'll be fine - look after yourself.

Funny, having a 13 year old with severe learning difficultiies, autism, seizures and mobility problems, he manages to end up in situations causing him to shed blood or otherwise end up calling paramedics or visiting minor injuries.  As a result I have a 12 year old that has no qualms at the site of blood and gore and local paramedics and nurse that are flabbergasted how calm we can be after dialling 999 etc. 

I realise I'm rambling here, but basically kids, even those on the spectrum are robust and can even see the "cool" in the grotesque. Perhaps there's a way to involve him in a way that makes it fun or interesting?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #99 on: 28 September, 2016, 10:08:14 am »
Some can't cope. My daughter doesn't know the details of the operation on my arm. She knows it was moderately major, and she knows she can't cope with the idea of bones being sawn, etc. If she'd seen the xray of my arm with the displaced and shattered bones she would have probably been physically sick.

In DrMekon's case, it's not an injury that can be hidden away under a cast, it is literally in their faces and connected with how they identify their father/partner. That's a very hard thing to deal with.
<i>Marmite slave</i>