Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752899 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6325 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:28:44 am »
Correction: the inaugural FNRTTP involved about 6 of them and was from Rochford Station.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12973.75 refers.

On second thoughts, I'm not surprised you don't actually remember the occasion, OD. :D  :-*

Noooooo, check the date in the bottom right-hand corner of the photo of you and the pickled egg ... 19 Sep 2008.  The 6 pub epic during which I got utterly smashed and had to be taken home by Del was 29 Jan 2009.

I stand corrected, but then so must you: the inaugural Essex Pub Night Ride was to the Hurdlemakers on 2nd May 2008 and was the famed occasion that you and bobb shook hands on the bet that David Hamilton would be the next Prime Minister. I can't imagine who won that one.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1064.msg34189#msg34189 refers.

My multi-pub epic was the first occasion that we coined the expression "Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6326 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:51:03 am »
Well bless my soul, I'd forgotten all about that!  Didn't we have an acf pub ride?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6327 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:55:49 am »
Sadly, any evidence of such an event has disappeared down an Orwellian memory hole.

Actually, before the demise of this august institution's predecessor, I did take the precaution of downloading all my posts to the old place and I still have them somewhere. I do recall my first occasion of drinking in an Essex pub with a forummer and that was the occasion that Fatters and I visited the Horse & Groom in Rochford. I couldn't say precisely when that was though. I think I joined ACF in the spring of 2006.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6328 on: 16 March, 2015, 11:25:57 am »
Nice route DL.

It seems rude not to join in after all that effort so, work permitting, I will see you on Wednesday.

First I will be calling the pub to ensure that they have sold out of pickled eggs having almost gagged when I was persuaded to eat one in the Alehouse in Chelmsford recently (incidentally a very good selection of beers there).

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6329 on: 16 March, 2015, 11:38:52 am »
Nice route DL.

It seems rude not to join in after all that effort so, work permitting, I will see you on Wednesday.

First I will be calling the pub to ensure that they have sold out of pickled eggs having almost gagged when I was persuaded to eat one in the Alehouse in Chelmsford recently (incidentally a very good selection of beers there).

Thanks Ted I wanted to try and accomodate our new comrads as best I could!

Don't write off OD bringing pickled eggs with him.......

The Ale house is one I have on the list for a potential MEMWNS  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6330 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:41:20 pm »
 :thumbsup: Cool. Working from home on Thursday so get a sleep in this week.

depending on what time I get out of the office I maybe on the Giant with the anchor pannier so not likely I'll be moving at any blistering pace this week....also I have my first 200 miler of the year planned for Saturday so I'll be looking to steady the ship a little and might even swerve the booze....

« Reply #6331 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:07:25 pm »
Chelmsford also has the Orange Tree which is a must visit and at which I host a little beer festival of my own devising for work purposes.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6332 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:09:41 pm »
Chelmsford also has the Orange Tree which is a must visit and at which I host a little beer festival of my own devising for work purposes.

We have been to the Orange Tree as part of my Good Beer Guide quest.  No reason why we can't go again  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6333 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:10:10 pm »
I'll be looking to steady the ship a little and might even swerve the booze....
Hahaha ha, yeah, right!

;D  :-*
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6334 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »
Hahaha ha, yeah, right!

maybe just the 7.2% cider then  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6335 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:31:09 pm »
Hahaha ha, yeah, right!

Oi, stop taking the pi55 out of poor tippers. Are you going to weave your Garmin magic and produce something that works with a Etrex as BRT was giving Doggers the runaround? 

The Retiree

« Reply #6336 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »
Right it looks as though we may have a rather large hole in my best laid Weds plans in that The Onley is currently closed being refurbed....! Don't know if any of you can confirm this but from what I can see online it appears the case....

Alas don't fear I have plans A/B & C so here goes, Plan A The Compasses at Pattiswick slightly tweaking my route or Plan B The Dolphin on the A120 again only a slight tweak to the route (not sure on the quality of ale available here!?) or Plan C The Chequers Great Tey which would mean riding the route in reverse for the Witham peloton but I will amend the route home to naturally cut out a Layer Marney/Tiptree return and head back straight through Kelvedon meaning Ted & Carlos could meet us there.

Thoughts gentleman?

Ps - I have spoken to the Compasses to ask whether they have a bar area which they do and a couple of nice ales on the pumps. Forgot to check on the pickled eggs though  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6337 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:27:28 pm »
Right it looks as though we may have a rather large hole in my best laid Weds plans in that The Onley is currently closed being refurbed....! Don't know if any of you can confirm this but from what I can see online it appears the case....

Alas don't fear I have plans A/B & C so here goes, Plan A The Compasses at Pattiswick slightly tweaking my route or Plan B The Dolphin on the A120 again only a slight tweak to the route (not sure on the quality of ale available here!?) or Plan C The Chequers Great Tey which would mean riding the route in reverse for the Witham peloton but I will amend the route home to naturally cut out a Layer Marney/Tiptree return and head back straight through Kelvedon meaning Ted & Carlos could meet us there.

Thoughts gentleman?

Ps - I have spoken to the Compasses to ask whether they have a bar area which they do and a couple of nice ales on the pumps. Forgot to check on the pickled eggs though  :facepalm:

I don't mind where we go. 

I once upset the manager at The Compasses, Pattiswick by telling him their sign showed the wrong sort of compass.  Hopefully he'll of got over it.

The Retiree

« Reply #6338 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:53:44 pm »
I don't mind where we go.

Righty ho let's settle on The Compasses Pattiswick then slightly amended route:   https://connect.garmin.com/modern/#course/9048219

Hopefully he'll of got over it.

If he hasn't we will decamp to The Dolphin as a back up plan  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6339 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:59:48 pm »
I think their sign is still wrong. I could always tell them again.

The Retiree

« Reply #6340 on: 16 March, 2015, 03:11:25 pm »
I think their sign is still wrong. I could always tell them again.

:facepalm: I would say that sounds like a very good idea OD you can't have people displaying incorrect signage! One small request do you think you could mention it as we are departing for home rather than upon arrival!?  ;)

« Reply #6341 on: 16 March, 2015, 03:46:09 pm »
The Compasses is a bit of a leap from the Odd one Out.  I'll wear my formal lycra. 

The sign does look very wrong.  Perhaps we could bring some sharpies and do a new one for them.

Is it not one of the Compasses pubs that are supposed to form sort of mystic triangle (or other shape) by being exactly 12 miles apart - I think the one at Totham is part of it as well ? 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6342 on: 16 March, 2015, 04:50:45 pm »
Is it not one of the Compasses pubs that are supposed to form sort of mystic triangle (or other shape) by being exactly 12 miles apart - I think the one at Totham is part of it as well ?
This website refers, I have oft thought that it would form an interesting ride sometime to visit each and see if anything magical happens (such as turning beer in to water), I wonder if we need to go to them in an order  ???
Something else to add to the schedule of rides to be ridden...
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6343 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:43:26 pm »
...I have oft thought that it would form an interesting ride sometime to visit each and see if anything magical happens (such as turning beer in to water) ...

I can turn beer into wee.  Does that count as magical?

« Reply #6344 on: 17 March, 2015, 10:11:59 pm »
I have put together a GPX file and popped it on my Shared Folder CLICKY

Should be good.

One note, I made a small adjustment just out of Tiptree. The route on Connect goes down a very narrow path which is a NCN Route but is truly Sh*te. Muddy, Nettles, Brambles, Hardcore surface etc. I have changed it so you come in onto Maldon road and cut down Station Road.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6345 on: 18 March, 2015, 08:13:09 am »
I'll meet you all at Pattiswick Compasses - I don't think I've been there since the original 'Freeze [Soak] Yer Bits Off Camp'.

The Retiree

« Reply #6346 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:01:05 am »
I have put together a GPX file and popped it on my Shared Folder CLICKY

The route on Connect goes down a very narrow path which is a NCN Route but is truly Sh*te. Muddy, Nettles, Brambles, Hardcore surface etc. I have changed it so you come in onto Maldon road and cut down Station Road.

Tippers is that the Pennsylvania Lane route? I put this in as a special for OD as a small piece of COR especially as Oaky is on the other side of the pond this evening. I saw that the streetview car had gone down but didn't realise how bad surface wise it was!  :facepalm:
I'm struggling to load up your GPX route as I can't remember my Bikely log in, do you have us turning onto Priory Road, The West End Road onto Maldon Road and then Station Road?

« Reply #6347 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:10:51 am »
Tippers is that the Pennsylvania Lane route? I put this in as a special for OD as a small piece of COR especially as Oaky is on the other side of the pond this evening. I saw that the streetview car had gone down but didn't realise how bad surface wise it was!  :facepalm:
I'm struggling to load up your GPX route as I can't remember my Bikely log in, do you have us turning onto Priory Road, The West End Road onto Maldon Road and then Station Road?

Yep, that is the route I have put in. We can do the Pennsylvania Lane route, I just thought it was worth the warning and to be fair I have not been down that way for a while. There are plenty of alternatives!

The Retiree

« Reply #6348 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:18:50 am »

Yep, that is the route I have put in. We can do the Pennsylvania Lane route, I just thought it was worth the warning and to be fair I have not been down that way for a while. There are plenty of alternatives!

No worries Tippers you have 'local knowledge'  :thumbsup: I have amended my route on Connect to take in the same route as yours now as Andy C33 says there may be a little bit of COR as we go alongside Earls Colne airfield on Newhouse Road!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6349 on: 18 March, 2015, 10:49:38 am »
Pennsylvania Avenue is fine!  Man the fuck up!