Author Topic: Saddle with hole  (Read 2952 times)

Saddle with hole
« on: 21 November, 2019, 12:49:24 pm »
Mrs h would like a saddle with a hole in it for her road bike.

What can the panel recommend ? / Who makes these ?  (I have tried Search but got nothing back.)

Many thanks.
Rust never sleeps

Re: Saddle with hole
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:53:44 pm »
Mrs LJ has recently bought a Selle Italia Diva saddle (I think).  They also do a "Donna" as well, the difference being the width of the hole, both are available in two different widths from memory.  Have a look at Selle Italia's website as it does show all the various saddles available.  Mrs LJ is still not convinced about the saddle, although she has only done a couple of rides so far.

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:54:10 pm »
There are loads out there - TBH it's difficult to recommend any saddle to another person, because we're all so different. Many women seem to like the Selle Italia Diva, for instance, whereas I found it a thing of torture.

FWIW, my saddle of choice (with hole) is a Specialized Oura.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:55:23 pm »
Selle Italia do some - I have a Lady Gel Flow on my touring/audax bike which I like very much (on the second one as I wore the first out) and they do some sportier models too.
But as always what suits me won't necessarily suit anyone else!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2019, 12:58:24 pm »
I'm using Specialized Lithia as the current least-worst still-in-production saddle, though I think it's more suited to a mountain bike / touring position.  There's a Selle Italia one I've encountered on other people's bikes that seems reasonably decent too.

But seriously, there are loads of saddles with holes in.  Just like saddles without holes in, you've got to do trial-and-error to find the ones that hurt less.  What works for one person means little for the next, as evidenced by the enduring popularity of Brooks  :hand:

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2019, 01:06:50 pm »
What can the panel recommend ? / Who makes these ?  (I have tried Search but got nothing back.)

Sella Italia, as others suggested, is a good choice as long as Mrs h wants a saddle with LOTS of padding. If she prefers a saddle with thinner padding, or no padding at all, SMP is my preferred choice. Brooks also makes saddles with holes, they are branded as "Imperial", don't ask me why!

A

« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2019, 01:47:31 pm »
Mrs h would like a saddle with a hole in it for her road bike.

Many thanks.

The saddles that you refer to do not have a 'HOLE' in them they have a pressure relief channel.

This is quite simply because the female anatomy in principle suffers with the same affliction as does the male anatomy except that it is not referred to as the hopelessly inaccurate 'Numb Nuts' as many many blokes care to call it.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:16:45 pm »
Thanks all. I'm more after a list of makes/models than specific recommendations. Very conscious that everyone's rear end is different.
Rust never sleeps

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:40:50 pm »
Half the saddles out there have holes in them.  Specialized, Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Selle SMP, Prologo, , absolutely everyone else except for Fixik, ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2019, 05:03:48 pm »
Try a supple leather Selle Anatomica. Bum on feathers and the halves either side of the slot move with your nether halves.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 21 November, 2019, 05:36:09 pm »
I also has a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow, or rather, I have several.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11 on: 21 November, 2019, 06:31:22 pm »
Infinity saddles are another, I believe Kajsa Tylen used one for her world record attempt.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2019, 06:32:27 pm »
A Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow (Racing) user here. [The racing model replaces the now discontinued Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow with the pink vag badge, only a very slight change in dimensions and the whatever-the-hell-that's-supposed-to-be is now a more subtle black.]

a saddle with LOTS of padding.

I think wowbagger came across this when he was looking for Mrs Wow - there are two very similarly named models, one more squidgy than the other.

Whereabouts are you, hatler? A few places have saddle libraries now. IIRC London Bike Kitchen, Broken Spoke in Oxford were certainly talking about it, and Lady Pedal in Manchester are trying to sort something.

« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2019, 07:18:49 pm »
SW London. I wasn't aware of saddle libraries. Will have a look at those. Thank you.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 21 November, 2019, 07:27:50 pm »
The saddles that you refer to do not have a 'HOLE' in them they have a pressure relief channel.

Nahh, it's an ice cream holder.

(Late lamented Spesh BG something or other.  Fatally torn in a bike-falling-over accident, and - like most non-Brooks saddles - discontinued when I tried to buy another one.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 21 November, 2019, 07:45:05 pm »
What works for one person means little for the next, as evidenced by the enduring popularity of Brooks  :hand:
There are even Brookses with holes. Imperial, I think they call it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 21 November, 2019, 07:52:08 pm »

a saddle with LOTS of padding.

I think wowbagger came across this when he was looking for Mrs Wow - there are two very similarly named models, one more squidgy than the other.

I think Ma'am ought to spend a few seconds re-reading that.   :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:35:54 am »
;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18 on: 22 November, 2019, 10:55:12 am »
I know several women who are very satisfied with saddles from Terry, they were also one of the first manufacturers to make
saddles specifically for Women (the owner/founder is a woman). They are widely available over here (Netherlands) no idea about the UK though.
Regards,

Alan

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 22 November, 2019, 11:07:03 am »
Terry saddles are rare in the UK but HK has several (mostly Butterflies) and loves them. Along with Rivet Pearl Pass and Brooks Cambium C17S Carved saddles. They all have cutouts.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 22 November, 2019, 12:01:59 pm »

I've tried the ISM Adamo, which has lots of cut out. It was ok upto about 120km, but wasn't ideal above that.

I've since swapped to a Sella SMP Pro saddle, which is great.

On the SMP website they have a map with all their dealers, the dealers should have test articles that you can borrow for a few hundred km to see if it works for you, and swap around in the range to find one that works. Tho I don't know if they are all as tolerant as the place I got mine from, I did over 4000km on the test article before swapping it for the sale unit.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #21 on: 23 November, 2019, 09:45:24 am »
My wife likes the Selle Italia Lady saddle but the SI Donna I got for my daughter also looks good, both have cutouts. Unfortunately the Donna still brand new has never been fitted on the bike as the doctors have advised my daughter not to ride because of her spinal injuries. 
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #22 on: 30 November, 2019, 06:08:14 pm »
Mrs R has Selle SMP TRK on all her seatposts!  It used to be quite cost effective, not sure about now.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2019, 07:05:14 pm »
Selle Italia do some - I have a Lady Gel Flow on my touring/audax bike which I like very much (on the second one as I wore the first out) and they do some sportier models too.
I'd recommend starting with Selle Italia as they do cheap AND dear models wiv holes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles