Author Topic: TdeF 2016 (Contains spoilers)  (Read 60345 times)

Re: TdeF 2016
« Reply #75 on: 07 July, 2016, 11:40:38 am »
How do you give money to dogs?

I believe - although I don't watch much daytime TV - they are always like that. The unemployed in need of a loan and the retired in need of health insurance are the only people who watch TV at that time according to TV executives...

Anyway back to the race. I guess Astana are targeting Aru for victory after Nibali's performance yesterday, perhaps winning the Giro tired the poor lad out.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #76 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:25:33 pm »
Not that you can necessarily trust pre-Tour pronouncememts but that was the plan anyway, with Nibali targeting the Rio road race.

« Reply #77 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:37:09 pm »
Mind you, Nibbles won't be much help to Aru if he's going to get shelled out the back as easily as he was yesterday.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #78 on: 07 July, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »
what a beaut :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #79 on: 07 July, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »
Damned impressive now, that the only person who has won more stages than Cav is Eddy Merckx !

Watching the overhead shot of the finish, Daniel McLay zoomed up, and was very close to going past Kittel, and if he'd had a short period longer may have challenged Cavendish.  Of course, the whole trick with the sprint finishes, is getting the timing right, and McLay didn't but I suspect he's going to do well in some future sprints.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #80 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:08:25 pm »
McLay seems to be incredibly fast and able to weave his way through a crowd. Definitely making his mark and probably onto a world tour team after those results.
Not seen the overhead yet (on a train) but hope that he gets some more respect from the peloton now.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #81 on: 07 July, 2016, 08:50:25 pm »
McLay said he had a minor coming together with another rider which delayed him from launching the flat-out-like-hell-maximum-attack wossname.

In spite of extending the end padding time on the Humax to five minutes it still stopped recording with 2 km to go >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #82 on: 07 July, 2016, 09:43:24 pm »
How do you give money to dogs?

I believe - although I don't watch much daytime TV - they are always like that. The unemployed in need of a loan and the retired in need of health insurance are the only people who watch TV at that time according to TV executives...

Anyway back to the race. I guess Astana are targeting Aru for victory after Nibali's performance yesterday, perhaps winning the Giro tired the poor lad out.

Blipverts  :demon:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #83 on: 07 July, 2016, 09:45:41 pm »
Am I the only one who thinks the bloke doing the random articles in the highlights shouldn't really be a TV journalist as he is so wooden?

Also, I've been subjected to Peter & Mrs Sagan doing their Grease thing twice now, that is more than enough thanks.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #84 on: 07 July, 2016, 10:50:35 pm »
Ned Boulting was better than the new bug but Ned's promotion to the colemantary box is, overall, a Good Thing.

« Reply #85 on: 07 July, 2016, 11:14:34 pm »
Ned Boulting was better than the new bug but Ned's promotion to the colemantary box is, overall, a Good Thing.

I'm finding Ned Boulting to be more engaging and a lot less irritating than Phil Liggett. Not to mention that he is also not tainted by association with HWNSMBN.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #86 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:09:50 am »
In spite of extending the end padding time on the Humax to five minutes it still stopped recording with 2 km to go >:(

My Humax box is playing up with the tour highlights as well.  It's not recording unless the box is switched on (or so it seems) but only ITV 4 tour highlights.  Other channels/programmes are OK.  In an attempt to manually record we got nearly all of The Saint but only 3 minutes of the highlights the other night.  Thank goodness for +1!

Do you know I didn't realise Phil wasn't commentating untill I read it above   :facepalm:

Oh, and well done Cavman!

« Reply #87 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:17:00 am »

I'm finding Ned Boulting to be more engaging and a lot less irritating than Phil Liggett. Not to mention that he is also not tainted by association with HWNSMBN.

Trying to workout what that stands for.  Clearly a lance us postal most tested athlete discovery bruyneel ref but can't get it. A clue please  ?

Andrew

« Reply #88 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:32:02 am »
Trying to workout what that stands for.

A quick web search brought up "Is Kristen Stewart in the Huntsman 2?"

It clearly isn't the correct answer but perhaps amusingly indicates the sort of thing that concerns people.

« Reply #89 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:38:37 am »
I found 2 hits on a GP Rejects forum but still none the wiser.

« Reply #90 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:45:50 am »

Trying to workout what that stands for.  Clearly a lance us postal most tested athlete discovery bruyneel ref but can't get it. A clue please  ?

I think it's supposed to be HWNSNBM - He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned aka Le Texan

« Reply #91 on: 08 July, 2016, 09:25:28 am »
Am I the only one who thinks the bloke doing the random articles in the highlights shouldn't really be a TV journalist as he is so wooden?

Did they also cut him off mid-stream last night on the highlights program? it seemed to me he needed to finish with a 'and now back to David and Ned' or something.*

*It's possible as I had been out to a work colleagues leaving do I had a momentary narcolepsy blip and it was smoother than I thought.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #92 on: 08 July, 2016, 11:30:28 am »
Had dinner on Tuesday night, mixed group of nationalities including an Australian who made reference to football, where it was nice to trot out the then statistic that Cav had more TdF stage wins (28) than Australia (27). But after yesterday he now has more wins (29) than the USA (17) and Russia (11) combined. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #93 on: 08 July, 2016, 11:31:13 am »
Amazing aerial footage showing the Manx Missile making Kittel look like he was going backwards.

I am guilty of writing Cav off.  I thought it would be Greipel vs Kittel from 2016 onwards.

Even if he doesn't get to 34 stage wins Cav is the stuff of legends now.

There's a "Holy Trinity" bronze statue outside Old Trafford, Best, Charlton & Law.

Hoy, Wiggo & Cav would make a perfect "Holy trinity" outside the London Velodrome (even more so if Cav & Wiggo get medals in Rio).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #94 on: 08 July, 2016, 11:53:42 am »

I think it's supposed to be HWNSNBM - He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned aka Le Texan

10 points to Griffyndor!  :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #95 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:10:47 pm »
"Bravo Bravo" as they said on France 2 today :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #96 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:13:03 pm »
someone get the repair kit out, stat!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #97 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:18:01 pm »
Bloody BBC have given away today's stage winner before I've had a chance to watch any of it.  Gits.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #98 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:34:52 pm »
Bloody BBC have given away today's stage winner before I've had a chance to watch any of it.  Gits.
Watch it anyway. I saw it live and it was wonderful.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #99 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:11:11 pm »
"Bravo Bravo" as they said on France 2 today :)

And he didn't get overtaken by a granny!  ;)