Author Topic: TdeF 2016 (Contains spoilers)  (Read 60746 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: TdeF 2016 (Contains spoilers)
« Reply #250 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:25:18 pm »
T de Gendt:O hai!  I am T de Gendt and I am made of teh Win!
D Navarro:You utter git, T de Gendt!
C Froome:O hai!  I am C Froome and I, also, am made of teh Win!
N Quintana:You utter git, C Froome!
R Porte:O hai!  I am R Porte and I am ma...hang on a sec!  What flaming drongo put a bloody motorbike there?
C Froome:M Farah doesn't have to put up with this sort of nonsense!
A Flag-Waving Spaniard:O hai!  I have been asleep at the bottom of a wine barrel since last Saturday.  What do you mean, A Contador has retired from the race?
[Much, much later]
C Froome:Hurrah for Truth, Justice and the American BRITISH Kenyan French Way!
E Unzué:Not fair!  Dangerous!  Oh wait, that was yesterday...
P Sagan:Crazy!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #251 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »
Ambassador Monsieur le Mairie, you are spoiling us... ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #252 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »
It's all good and fine to say that they should adjust the GC timings, but what would you want them to do if one of the crashees had been injured and was unable to continue?  And if you retrospectively neutralise the timings back to 3km, that unfairly penalises riders who legitimately put in the effort to gain time in those final kilometres.  A real minefield...

Froome didn't crash he was knocked off by an official TDF Motorbike that did an emergency stop immediately in front of him.

That's different to crashing and even different to a fan knocking him off. The TdF Organisation knocked him off.

The least they can do is neutralise the finish but even then Quintana gets a huge bonus.  What they should do is use the time gaps at the instant of the crash.

They are all Geo-Tagged.  The gaps were pretty much set with only a minute to go.

No he ran into the back of Richie Porte's bike while Porte rode into the back of the TV bike that had to make an emergency stop due to a reason that is not clear but would probably have been a spectator. Without a picture of what went on in front of the bike anything else is speculation. Apparently there were hidden cameras (which might have been speccies' Iphones) so the truth may yet come out.

The solution of the jury of giving all three the same time as Mollema would appear to be the most acceptable to most people.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #253 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:33:12 pm »
Same category as having the Flamme Rouge collapse on you.

That was well into WTF territory as well.

I used to have a French colleague, from whom I learnt a several of Useful Phrases.  One that comes in handy here is:

C'est quoi ce bordel?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #254 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:34:48 pm »
Cardinal Putain: “No one expects the Spectators' Imposition! Our chief weapon is surprise, an utter lack of road sense and surprise; two chief weapons, an utter lack of road sense, surprise, and a prodigious capacity for alcohol! Er, among our chief weapons are: an utter lack of road sense, surprise, a prodigious capacity for alcohol, and a fanatical devotion to our favourite rider! Um, we'll come in again...”
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #255 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:39:30 pm »
I want all mountains stages at the finish to be fenced off from now on! Ridiculous!

Normally a summit finish is fenced for the last 3kms. What happened today was that there wasn't enough time for the organisers to move the barriers 6ms from the original finish point to the new one (or they didn't have the money to pay the overtime on a july 14th). Hence the absurd situation of having spectators all over the road so close to the finish. ASO are going to have to review their copy for mountain finishes in the future!

ajoute: Pity I have to go to work tomorrow, "Les Rois de la Pédale" could be very interesting and informative, especially the comments of M. Durand and M. Moncoutie who are advocates of "the rule book is the rule book and always right, even when wrong". M. Virenque is rather more flexible in his attitude to Rules  ;D

« Reply #256 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:44:24 pm »
The way this tour is going perhaps ASO should just pick a couple of riders at random every morning and smack them round the back of the head with a shovel. It would save the riders having to pedal 150km up and down hills before ASO took them out.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #257 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:45:51 pm »
The spectator in the black full-face motorbike helmet was back today, or else word has spread that C Froome has a low tolerance of sub-epsilons.

I'm waiting for The Stig to show up.

« Reply #258 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »
Perhaps what is needed on mountain stages are a few CRS outriders to clear a path. :demon:

ETA - or maybe taking a few protips from Asia:

http://www.vosizneias.com/assets/uploads/news_photos/thumbnails/800_xn4ee01xjxkip8njiypgxugwuhb9imej.jpg

« Reply #259 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:55:51 pm »
They need a snowplough. Froome running has got to put him into your history. Had it ever happened before? How far did he run?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #260 on: 14 July, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »
A slight change in topic but it's worth mentioning that Froome dropped Quintana quite effortlessly and looked like he was still full of gas until the incident.
Quintana's short attacks in the final 8km today were very unimpressive.

Froome appears to have him beaten on climbs, descents, on TTs and in small breakaways.

Is it a matter of avoiding broken bones now?  He used one life up already today.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #261 on: 14 July, 2016, 06:39:46 pm »
Isn't there a penalty involved for progressing along the course without a bicycle?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #262 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:09:02 pm »
Did I just hear some unsporting FOREIGNS booing C Froome on the podium?  Rotters.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #263 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:24:31 pm »
Was I Chris Froome I'd be dunning the UCI for 200euro and saying, "Told you so." to boot.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #264 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »
Isn't there a penalty involved for progressing along the course without a bicycle?

I believe there is, although I don't know if it's clear how much distance you have to cover before the rule kicks in. I mean, any incident requiring a bike change is going to involve a certain amount of time on foot, so it's open to interpretation - besides, it's up to the commisaires how to apply the rules with regard to each individual incident, non?

And isn't the most important thing that you have your bike with you when you cross the finish line? Although even that has been interpreted liberally in the past - I'm sure I've seen cases of injured riders being carried over the line while someone else brings their bike.

I may be imagining it but did anyone else notice Porte nearly stop and give Froome his bike until he remembered which team he's on now?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #265 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:36:34 pm »
I thought Porte was about to give Froome a croggy to the finish, which would have made an interesting problem for the Blazers.

Didn't Jens Voigt once finish a stage on a clown-sized Mavic bike with toe straps after chinning an Alp (which spent a month in a coma)?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #266 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:37:34 pm »
Didn't Jens Voigt once finish a stage on a clown-sized Mavic bike with toe straps after chinning an Alp (which spent a month in a coma)?
Yup, was a kids' bike with junior gearing, 2010 I think.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #267 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:41:48 pm »
Apparently, the reason Froome was having problems with the neutral service bike was because it has Look pedals and he uses Shimano. They only carry bikes with Look pedals or flat pedals with toeclips.

Slight cock-up on the organisational front there.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #268 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:47:04 pm »
Apparently, the reason Froome was having problems with the neutral service bike was because it has Look pedals and he uses Shimano.

That would explain why he was actually able to jog up the road instead of doing the Look Duck-Walk.  ;D

They only carry bikes with Look pedals or flat pedals with toeclips.

Slight cock-up on the organisational front there.  :facepalm:

I imagine that for full compatibility, the neutral service would need bikes with Look, Time, Shimano and Speedplay pedals... it would be easier to just have beartraps with toe clips.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #269 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:58:38 pm »
Top response from Adam Yates in the post race interview - "I wouldn't want to take the jersey in those circumstances" OWTTE.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #270 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:19:58 pm »
What.
The.
Actual.
Fuck!

That was stressful watching!

The shot of Porte going over the back of the motorbike was very illuminating tho!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #271 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:21:52 pm »
I thought Porte was about to give Froome a croggy to the finish, which would have made an interesting problem for the Blazers.

I thought that too..

« Reply #272 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:23:54 pm »
I am sure someone will know but would it be possible to pixelate out the runners? They aren't interested in the racing but only to get on telly.

Either that, or rounding up one or two of them and shooting them...especially the ones in Mankinis  :sick:

First to the wall should be the one who lit the flare on a forest road lined with spectators. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #273 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:28:42 pm »

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #274 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:32:22 pm »
I'm sure that somewhere in the team car there is some gaffa and the odd zip tie.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit