Author Topic: Winter bunnies  (Read 2350 times)

Martin

Winter bunnies
« on: 31 October, 2017, 01:19:33 pm »
I have a pair of beautiful Netherland dwarfs who are 8 months old so have not yet experienced cold or frost. Every time I look out of the window at night they are huddled in the exposed outside corner of their run rather than upstairs in their bedroom (full of nice clean straw). I know they do go up there as two bunny sized dents appear soon after I change the straw.

Is it normal for them to stay up outside all night even in very cold temperatures? or are they down there because they are apprehensive? (we have a local cat who comes into the garden)

Re: Winter bunnies
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2017, 01:34:18 pm »
Since they are Dutch bunnies I suspect that they don't feel comfortable sleeping in the accommodation provided due to its altitude. Try digging a hole and providing them a bed at least a couple of metres below sea level
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »
can you come and help? they are about 68m ASL although the water table is a lot higher than sea level

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:27:36 pm »
Is there not a dutch bunny forum? They might have a better idea on the psychology of our orange hoppy cousins....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »
they were born in Suffolk...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:53:29 pm »
Well yes, but it is a breed, I presume?

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2017, 10:00:14 pm »
I was more concerned that as a species without the ability to burrow underground they might feel apprehensive about being above ground where there was a predator;

anyway a thermal microwaveable mat is on order from ebay!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Martin

Re: Summer bunnies
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2017, 10:12:38 am »