Author Topic: RUSA - Temporary Suspension of Permanents Program  (Read 2567 times)

RUSA - Temporary Suspension of Permanents Program
« on: 27 November, 2018, 09:29:18 pm »
Interesting one from across the pond.

Dear Members,

it is with great sadness that we inform you of a fatality that occurred during a RUSA event this summer. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased, as well as her fellow riders and the local randonneuring community. Sadly, the rider's family has brought a lawsuit against RUSA. While we have insurance to cover any eventual resolution of the lawsuit, the incident is unfortunately complicating the renewal of our current insurance policy, which expires this Friday 11/30/18 at 11:59pm. We believe we have a short term solution in place to cover upcoming RUSA brevets, but regrettably that solution does not cover the permanents program. Without insurance, we can not sanction any permanents after this Friday, and must suspend the program until appropriate insurance can be found.

Many riders are working on R12 and P12 awards and we want to assure you that the temporary suspension of the permanents program will not impact your ability to earn these awards. We are still working out the specific details but we want you to know we are very aware of how important this program is to everyone. In some regions RBAs are already offering events, or may be able to calendar a 100K RUSA Populaire and/or 200K RUSA brevet on short notice. But regardless, ALL riders who are unable to attend one of those calendared events for any reason or who live in a region where they are not offered will be given a "pass" to skip the month(s).

We are still hopeful that we will secure a new policy by this Friday that will cover our brevets AND permanents, but out of an abundance of caution we are sending you this notification now. We will update you again this Friday, and we urge you to check the RUSA website regularly for any immediate updates.

We know that this information may cause consternation and concern from the membership. While we will do our best to answer questions you might have, we are unable to disclose any specific information about the fatality, the associated lawsuit, etc. Please know that your board and it's committees are working very hard to find a long term solution and will keep you regularly informed.

Thoughts, comments or concerns? Reach out to us anytime at board@rusa.org

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: RUSA - Temporary Suspension of Permanents Program
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2018, 11:29:49 pm »
The act of Parliament that suspends the RTA allowing closed road rallying in the borders (the Jim Clark rally) were effectively suspended during the FAI into the circumstances of an accident a few years ago.

The only other closed road rally in Scotland on Mull was not blocked by the FAI but following the Jim Clark accident the MSA intimated that the Mull Rally should take a year off.

The last 2 years alternative events under different rules (forest rally time trial and targa rally ) have been run because even though the FAI is now complete the results (which presents a cautionary tale for anyone involved in organizing any event with any element of perilous risk) combined with the new RTA suspension system in England and Wales it's now impossible to get insurance without finding a few million quid for a deposit.

It doesn't sound like a massively different situation.

Oh and everyone doing "closed road" sportives knows that the road traffic act is still active during them and they could still be done for a range of RTA offences don't they? No? Oh!

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2018, 04:02:55 pm »
Thanks for posting.  It looks like I might have a spare day in Austin, Texas, in Feb which could have been used for a perm.  So I will have to keep an eye out for this.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2018, 04:06:28 pm »
They're up and running again now, as I gather.

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2018, 08:08:15 pm »
The act of Parliament that suspends the RTA allowing closed road rallying in the borders (the Jim Clark rally) were effectively suspended during the FAI into the circumstances of an accident a few years ago.

The only other closed road rally in Scotland on Mull was not blocked by the FAI but following the Jim Clark accident the MSA intimated that the Mull Rally should take a year off.

Oh and everyone doing "closed road" sportives knows that the road traffic act is still active during them and they could still be done for a range of RTA offences don't they? No? Oh!

RTA - I'm guessing means Road Traffic Act but...
FAI?
MSA?

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »

FAI?

Federation of Acronym Inventors.

I do realise they're not actually acronyms.

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2018, 08:21:12 pm »

RTA - I'm guessing means Road Traffic Act but...
FAI?
MSA?

Fatal accident investigation
Motor sports association

The events fifingeejit is referring to are tarmac road rallies at a level one or two below the world rally championship.

Whilst not audax the events are simmilarly being prevented from running because the insurance for the organising body was / is unobtainable.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2018, 08:56:26 pm »
Whilst not audax the events are simmilarly being prevented from running because the insurance for the organising body was / is unobtainable.

Yeah I meant to come back and add that was the reason for posting it once I'd realized I hadn't mentioned it.
The main reason being a Fatal Accident Inquiry or whatever the English/Welsh equivalent is could have the same impact on AUK's ability to operate.
And they take bloody ages.

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2018, 07:53:35 am »
Thanks for clearing it up

« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:16:22 pm »

The last 2 years alternative events under different rules (forest rally time trial and targa rally ) have been run because even though the FAI is now complete the results (which presents a cautionary tale for anyone involved in organizing any event with any element of perilous risk) combined with the new RTA suspension system in England and Wales it's now impossible to get insurance without finding a few million quid for a deposit.

Not True*

The Corbeau Seats rally ran on closed roads in the Clacton/Tendring Peninsula (by my motor club) to great success in April and being repeated again in April 2019 with full support of the MSA under the new guidance created as a result of the investigation to the Jim Clark tragedy and we have insurance we and the competitors can afford - although I don't know what our deposit is.

http://corbeauseatsrally.co.uk/

I understand there are plans afoot for an event in Wales on similar lines, also the New Brighton rally near Liverpool is considering extending it's horizons. All with full backing of the MSA so a deal must have been done with their insurers as it's finally bringing motorsport back to the people.

ETA - *Not True but I will acknowledge there was a two year gap between the FAI and the establishment of our rally.

Not really Audax though.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:34:55 pm »

Not really Audax though.

Have you read the Everesting thread?? Apparently anything goes now  :facepalm:

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:10:46 pm »

Not True*

The Corbeau Seats rally ran on closed roads in the Clacton/Tendring Peninsula (by my motor club) to great success in April and being repeated again in April 2019 with full support of the MSA under the new guidance created as a result of the investigation to the Jim Clark tragedy and we have insurance we and the competitors can afford - although I don't know what our deposit is.

http://corbeauseatsrally.co.uk/

I understand there are plans afoot for an event in Wales on similar lines, also the New Brighton rally near Liverpool is considering extending it's horizons. All with full backing of the MSA so a deal must have been done with their insurers as it's finally bringing motorsport back to the people.

ETA - *Not True but I will acknowledge there was a two year gap between the FAI and the establishment of our rally.

Not really Audax though.

There is no similar legislation in Scotland to the new English and Welsh legislations that is allowing those events to be created; I believe the first event under Wesh rules was the use of a public road in competition to link two bits of forest track on "Wales Rally GB"

The passing of the new laws in England and Wales, along with the FAI and other changes has changed the insurance landscape to the point that the insurance companies require a massive bond to be lodged before they'll even consider contemplating insuring events run under the acts of parliament that allow the Jim Clark and Mull rally to take place.

Those events cannot run due to the inavailability of affordable insurance, mean while England and Wales get new events under their systems and Northern Ireland carry on as before.

The new Scottish system has just gone to public consultation so could still be a year or so away.
Some of the facebook rants I saw in response to sharing of the consultation were directly in relation to the impact of Sportives which don't have the same economic impact obligation. (for a non-audax cycling link)