Author Topic: 2013 world championships  (Read 3914 times)

Re: 2013 world championships
« Reply #25 on: 30 September, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »
I wasn't expecting much from the Brits so didn't really care too much about their (lack of) performance.  It certainly didn't detract from the exciting finale. 

Pre race the conjecture was about how open it was and that the parcours suited climbers and puncheurs alike, as well as the power-houses like Cancellara and Sagan, with the fairly flat last 5km meaning that any of those who made it to the end and who could sprint a bit would have the advantage.  It turned out more to be a route for in-form climbers, positions 2-4 being taken by riders who finished 2-4 in that very hilly Vuelta.

Nibali was very impressive just to get back after his crash, even if he had a bit of a helping hand.  But to be sitting by the side of the road one moment, and then being one of the 4 in the decisive split a few minutes later must have added just one more 'what-if?' to a long list he could compile.

How cool was Rui Costa?  To leave it that late but to make the jump decisive enough when he left Nibali and Valverde behind took some guts and a not a little play-acting when Nibali was trying to get him to work.

I don't know what to make of the Spaniards.  Given those cards you would have thought they should have won the hand.  Once Rodriguez was caught wasn't in their interests to try and make it a sprint for Valverde?  Or has he lost his finishing punch over the years?  I still feel a bit sorry for Rodriguez though - yet another 'close but no cigar'.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #26 on: 30 September, 2013, 03:38:07 pm »
Hard day at work ??  Rigoberto Urans uniform from yesterday  :sick:

« Reply #27 on: 30 September, 2013, 04:49:07 pm »
Yes, well he did mess up the decent on the last lap rather spectacularly, but had the presence of mind to get his fallen bike off the racing line for any following groups.

« Reply #28 on: 30 September, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
And to fall on the grass banking rather than the tarmac.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2013, 06:12:35 pm »
And to fall on the grass banking rather than the tarmac.
Only cos he rode off the road - and grass banking was what came next!

(still, I think he was pretty unlucky, and did indeed show good presence of mind )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles