Author Topic: Hip Bursitis  (Read 2230 times)

Hip Bursitis
« on: 03 November, 2008, 08:59:39 pm »
I've been having problems with my hips for a few months now, and am wondering if anyone has had similar issues and has (hopefully) resolved them....

Initially my hips (and buttocks :-[)  ached it was when I was running, but cycling was OK. However since the summer it has got gradually worse until I really cant cycle, run or even go on long walks..... :(

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with 'Trochanteric Bursistis' by a NHS physio, and suggested I rest for 4/5 weeks and take lots of ibuprofen.  That hasnt worked (well maybe a little, but only if I do NOTHING), so according to physio, the next step to try in steroid injections in my hips.

Seems a bit scary but I am at the end of my tether - has anyone else experienced this or had similar injections?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Hip Bursitis
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:25:34 pm »
When we used to do a lot of hillwalking I was diagnosed with bursitis in one of my hips by a private physio. I got sent to the local football club for some sort of infra red treatment (I think). It did get better eventually, but not until a while after I'd finished going to the physio. (we were skint at the time and we couldn't afford any more visits!)
Didn't cycle at the time so I can't comment on that.

Now that I've looked yours up, mine was in a different place, sort of in the crease of the hip so to speak, rather than the outside.

Hope it heals soon though!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:33:03 pm »
Thanks for that, it may be different but it is good to hear from someone who has got better. I did go to a private physio a few times - they just recommended lots of stretching & used ultrasound, but it didnt really make any difference.
So now I'm pinning hope on the NHS!

dehomag

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »
I had bursitis on my elbows after I fell once in Asda. Ibuprofen was the treatment, 600mg ones on prescription.

annie

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:41:07 pm »
Yes, I had problems with severe pain in the region of my left hip flexor.  This happened every time I ran and usually at around the two mile mark.  The pain became unbearable whilst running and I eventually sought medical help.  I did not run for 2 months.  I am now running again and managed a long distance run this weekend without any pain.

I have also increased the amount of stretching I undertake and am back to yoga classes.

I do not believe there is a quick fix to this condition and whilst 4-5 weeks works for some, others require  a much longer recovery period.

REST from running, stretching and time is what you need.

Good luck.

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:50:50 pm »
Thanks Dehamog, I've been taking ibuprofen for a month, to no avail.

Annie, sorry to hear you had problems too, but glad to hear that you are back running again. I am jealous! I havent run for 2/3 months as each time I tried I was in a lot of pain, but I guess it was only when I couldnt cycle or walk properly that I gave it 'proper' rest. However, I've basically done nothing at all for 6 weeks and it's still sore which is why I was considering trying the steroid injections. Apparently if I have them I've DEFINATELY to do nothing for a few weeks which would enforce rest.

annie

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:59:38 pm »
Have you had an X-Ray?  If you have had total rest from running for 2 months and are still in a considerable amount of pain I would ask for an X-Ray to rule out the possibility of a stress fracture.

I have had steroid injections in my hips for other reasons and the relief for me was short lived.

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2008, 10:06:58 pm »
Ah, no, I havent had an X-ray. The NHS person I saw was at an outpatient local clinic and I dont think they had the facilities there. In fact, I think the only reason I could see someone relatively quickly was them trying to send some cases there to 'lighten the load' for the hospital.
Idiots question though - as both hips hurt (albeit one a bit more than the other)- would that mean it's unlikely to be a stress fracture?
But I will definately ask when I go back next week what a 'next step' could be if injections dont work.

At least if it was a stress fracture I would have something in common with Ms Radcliffe - there's no other comparison in running terms ;D

Fi

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2008, 10:24:43 pm »
 I can't get rid of the hip bursitis completely, if I walk too far off it goes again, but can keep the soreness level down . I can't tolerate any NSAIDs. I was told to  roll outer thighs over a foam roller, but not as far up as the hip area.   In addition, my orthotic prescription was changed and  that helped too.  It also helps to stretch lower back, so reducing the general tightness in the area rather than treat the hips in isolation and have massages.  Acupuncture helps.

annie

« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2008, 07:11:27 am »
Ah, no, I havent had an X-ray. The NHS person I saw was at an outpatient local clinic and I dont think they had the facilities there. In fact, I think the only reason I could see someone relatively quickly was them trying to send some cases there to 'lighten the load' for the hospital.
Idiots question though - as both hips hurt (albeit one a bit more than the other)- would that mean it's unlikely to be a stress fracture?
But I will definately ask when I go back next week what a 'next step' could be if injections dont work.

At least if it was a stress fracture I would have something in common with Ms Radcliffe - there's no other comparison in running terms ;D

I am not a medical professional but if there is pain on both sides I guess a stress fracture is less likely but still possible.  If the injections do work they may well give permanent relief from the pain.  I know that surgery is seen as a last resort.  I wish you all the best in sorting out this very uncomfortable condition.