Author Topic: Pools, shared showers and personal hygiene  (Read 5691 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Pools, shared showers and personal hygiene
« on: 03 September, 2008, 06:57:45 pm »
I'm pretty new to this aquatic stuff after a 25yr layoff. My local pool has a communal shower (i.e. between the pool and the segregated changing rooms).

Now, I assume that one is not supposed to get nekkid in these showers (certainly nobody else does), so it seems to be rather difficult to get really clean after a swim. I don't really sweat in the pool (perhaps cos I can't swim very far yet), but I still feel I ought to have a 'proper' wash.

Has anyone else used these things? Are these sensible concerns? Do you head straight home for a proper shower?!?

Yours, self-conscious of Oxon,
etc ...

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vince

Re: Pools, shared showers and personal hygiene
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:00:16 pm »
I thought the showers were in the changing area?

Getting nekkid in the communal areas to shower seems a bit european to me.

Treewheeler

« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:05:58 pm »
Got to warn you Matt, with your weak bladder condition I'd be carefull about leakage as they often put a strong reactive dye that turns purple in the presence of urine... ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:06:20 pm »
That shower's just to rinse off chlorine or to get wet before you jump in.  Don't get nekkid!

And yes, you do sweat.  Pop out after a bunch of lengths and without the cooling water, you'll burst into sweat.  Good news: there's lots of water to dilute it and chlorine to kill nasties.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:06:48 pm »
They are typically there to shower before getting into the pool. And then afterwards to stop your hair feeling like a worn out nylon brush.

Some pools have shower cubicles as well as the communal ones.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:07:52 pm »
I would worry more about getting properly clean before a swim, and I would hope that anyone else sharing the pool with me would feel the same way. I live in a country that's as prudish as any in the developed world, and showering in the nude with plenty of soap and scrubbing before and after a swim is the norm around here. And yes, the local pool/health center had communal showers last time I was there.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:24:18 pm »
It has just been announced that our new rugby clubhouse in town has to have four sets of showers: Men, Women, Boys and Girls.

This is apparently to discourage paedophilia.  ???

« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:27:01 pm »
it happens Jezza - one of our rowing coaches was caught and spent time inside for it (not enough, IMHO).

« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:27:28 pm »
I would worry more about getting properly clean before a swim, and I would hope that anyone else sharing the pool with me would feel the same way

They don't.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2008, 09:26:02 pm »
It has just been announced that our new rugby clubhouse in town has to have four sets of showers: Men, Women, Boys and Girls.

Why do they have a 4th, spare one?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:00:09 am »
I would worry more about getting properly clean before a swim, and I would hope that anyone else sharing the pool with me would feel the same way. I live in a country that's as prudish as any in the developed world, and showering in the nude with plenty of soap and scrubbing before and after a swim is the norm around here. And yes, the local pool/health center had communal showers last time I was there.

Ok I'm newish to the swimming lark but isn't that what they are therefore?  Even the signs by the pool I went say that you should shower before entering the pool.  By that I'm think clean not just wet.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:03:48 am »

And at exactly which stage of puberty should one graduate from boys / girls to men / women?

And if a fifteen year old boy has designs on a six year old boy, should he declare himself a PeeDoFile and head for the men's showers, or is it okay because they're both boys?

Crikey.  :o

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:10:19 am »

Ok I'm newish to the swimming lark but isn't that what they are therefore?  Even the signs by the pool I went say that you should shower before entering the pool.  By that I'm think clean not just wet.

You won't see anyone soaping up in 'em.  They're rinsing showers.

You should already be clean, you skeeze-hound.  :)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:12:13 am »

You won't see anyone soaping up in 'em.  They're rinsing showers.

You should already be clean, you skeeze-hound.  :)

Oi i'd ridden 10 miles home and then to the gym.

But other people were doing other gym type stuff and then going for a swim.  Some were even having a sauna and then going for a swim.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:20:13 am »
Me too (it's great triathlon training).  And plenty of other folk as well.  That's what all the chlorine is for.   :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:27:23 am »
Me too (it's great triathlon training).  And plenty of other folk as well.  That's what all the chlorine is for.   :thumbsup:

Isn't that for the sweat you work up in there?

Only been to two pools recently and both said have a shower before getting in to the pool.  So I had a shower.

« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:25:10 am »
All the pools ive been to you have to shower before hand. Ive also been to pools where the men and women have seperate communal pools and people got naked in them but in a shared pool nooooooooo.

When I went to a pool in Spain (not tourist area) it required swim caps and shoes if walking at the side of the pool.

« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2008, 11:33:34 am »
That's what all the chlorine is for.   :thumbsup:

I have just spent 170 pounds ( laptop doesn't have pound sign ) on new bathers for the wife and the boys.  The chlorine kills lycra over time.  Both my boys have hair like straw.  Mrs G quite often sweats perspires chlorine from her pores.

Look what it does to your eyes if you don't wear goggles.

« Reply #18 on: 09 September, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »
Strewth, Grub, that's a lot of money for some budgie hiders.

York has a swimwear shop for serious swimmers. Usually has Speedo and Tyr stuff for under £20, £10 if you buy last-year's stuff. That's for serious swimming gear. I think you are going to the wrong shops.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #19 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:33:09 pm »
Stinky foreigners!  Wash your smelly bits before you get in our lovely Icelandic swimming pool.

The pools here have less chlorine than the UK and are much more pleasant to swim in.  You also have to leave your towel in an unattended pigeon hole while you swim so that you can dry yourself by the showers before reentering the clean dry changing room.

Popular pools have one shower with a curtain round it for shy people (and the showers are single sex.)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #20 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:35:11 pm »
Have you been to the blue lagoon and pick up the stuff on the bottom?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:39:18 pm »
I have just spent 170 pounds ( laptop doesn't have pound sign ) on new bathers for the wife and the boys.  The chlorine kills lycra over time. 
Speedo Endurance are a good range for regular use, they're pretty chlorine-proof.  Don't forget to rinse 'em while you shower. 

« Reply #22 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:24:41 pm »

York has a swimwear shop for serious swimmers. Usually has Speedo and Tyr stuff for under £20, £10 if you buy last-year's stuff. That's for serious swimming gear. I think you are going to the wrong shops.

If you can get some of these cheaper, then I'd like to know as I am looking in the wrong place.

Aquablade Kneeskin

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #23 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:01:49 pm »

If you can get some of these cheaper, then I'd like to know as I am looking in the wrong place.

Aquablade Kneeskin

Unless you are competing in major swimming competitons, you are just spending money on stuff that you don't really need - a pair of trunks or a normal bikini with a racing back are fine for most swimming.  What sort of swimming are you and the family doing Grub?

« Reply #24 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:07:26 pm »
My wife is an ex-nationals swimmer that is still swimming masters and for club and county.  Swimming costumes are a lot like cycling shorts.  Some are happy with shorts from Lidls, while others prefer Assoss.  That costume is more Endura than the others mentioned.

She has a training suit that is more chlorine tolerant and two racing costumes.  Both boys also have jammers for training and jammers for racing.

I might add she has been swimming for 33 years or more, so she knows all about what costumes are best.