Author Topic: sinusitis/hayfever symptoms?  (Read 1347 times)

richie

• Just sleeping...
sinusitis/hayfever symptoms?
« on: 25 September, 2008, 09:43:47 am »
I'm fairly used to getting a runny nose whilst cycling (especially in the cold) but on last night's commute home this moved to a whole new level.  Basically it moved from the drippy nose syndrome to full-on hayfever style suffering (non-stop sneezing, runny eyes, non-stop snot etc.). My throat actually stayed clear though so i was still able to pedal on at a reasonable rate.  These symptoms didn't stop after i'd got home and eventually I went to bed after taking an anti-histamine tablet.  Feeling fine this morning apart from a slightly blocked-up nose.

I'd put it down as a one-off but this has happened three times over the past year and only seems to be on long rides when i'm giving it some welly.  It's now starting to worry me as the only way i can seem to shake it off is to stop cycling - not much good in the midlle of a long audax for example.

Anybody any ideas before i visit the GP?  I'm assuming some sort of sinusitis brought on by the exercise?

Ta
Itchy
Sheep we're off again.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: sinusitis/hayfever symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2008, 09:48:05 am »
I occasionally have similar problems and it can be one of a few things:
1) Allergic Rhinitis (hay fever to you and me), which can be caused by pollen, dust mites or the crap thrown up by combine harvesters (probably the last one at this time of year)
2) Sinus problems caused by too much cold air hitting your sinuses, or as in my case, by my helmet being on too tight and putting pressure on my sinuses.
3) A good old fashioned cold.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:05:36 am »
I was talking to a rep (yeah, I know - I always take such conversations with a pinch of salt, but this wasn't directly related to a product), who was saying there is a massive increase in non-seasonal allergic rhinitis in the last few years, and the GPs here back that up.  Not clear why this might be, but it seems asthma is more often associated with rhinitis these days, and there is increasing interest in combination allergens where no single cause can be isolated.

The fact that an antihistamine tablet helped would indicate an allergic component.

For relief of a snotty nose, by the way, I find olbas oil, either inhaled directly, or dotted onto clothes or (bottom of) pillowcase helps immensely.  I say bottom of the pillowcase, cause it can feel unpleasantly like burning if it touches your face.
Getting there...

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:20:28 am »
hmmm...   I suffer from mild hayfever and am allergic to most furry mammals.  Wonder if the increased breathing rate/effort  whilst cycling hard is enough to bring on these symptoms.
Sheep we're off again.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:21:26 am »
I would say yes, I tend to have worse symptoms when cycling hard, and thus why I always where long fingered gloves.... :o
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:30:43 am »
 i did cycle past numerous fields where the farmers were working late with various sorts of lethal-looking machinery, so a lot of dust/flora being thrown around.  Might start carrying a anti-histamine on the bike so I can make a pre-emptive strike if i feel the symptoms...
Sheep we're off again.

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2008, 10:41:53 am »
As a hayfever sufferer I did two stints at the Pollen Research Centre testing various remedies.

What I learnt was if you are a sufferer, the dust from harvesting or the just the vapour from some chemicals, can be more of an irritant to your sinuses than to a none sufferer. Because of this I now have to wear a nose plug when swimming public baths.

Sorry can't help more but knowing is sometimes half the problem.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home