Author Topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe  (Read 149188 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Pronunciation that makes you cringe
« Reply #1000 on: 28 February, 2024, 10:51:30 pm »
Richard Osman, presenter of the very fine Richard Osman's House of Games, the word biopic is formed by running together "bio" as in biography and "pic" as in picture. Thus it is pronounced "bio pic" and not "bi opic". Apart from that, carry on the good work.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1001 on: 28 February, 2024, 11:30:22 pm »
Someone else did that on the distascope the other day.  Fortunately for them I can’t remember who it was, else a Reëducation Camp would beckon.  The only thing worse is describing a book as a “biopic”, as some publishing cretin did on the cover of the paperback edition of Ian Banks' “Espedair Street” :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1002 on: 29 February, 2024, 07:59:38 am »
In a US serial the other night, a supposed academic talking about codifying data as if she were going to convert it into fish.

And a Brit in a YT video about Redcoats fighting the Japanese in the 19th century, and yakking about the sam-your-eye. Ignorant sod.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1003 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:15:51 pm »
Richard Osman, presenter of the very fine Richard Osman's House of Games, the word biopic is formed by running together "bio" as in biography and "pic" as in picture. Thus it is pronounced "bio pic" and not "bi opic". Apart from that, carry on the good work.

But the word biography is formed from "bios" as in life and "graphia" as in writing, and it's not pronounced "bio graphy".
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #1004 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:58:52 pm »
I prefer by-oh pik.

Biography can be shortened to bio (by-oh), then tag on pic, result is by-oh pik.