Author Topic: Severn Across 400 - 2015  (Read 13683 times)

Re: Severn Across 400 - 2015
« Reply #100 on: 10 May, 2015, 11:58:15 pm »
very enjoyable ride, one of those rare days when i was in the flow,

What sort of flow was that zigzag? a nuclear one ?  :)
It's not a race, so times are not the issue, but I'm always interested to learn how the faster echelons of the day have been performing. From where I sit those kind of times are truly amazing, and I salute you all. It's not a place I will ever occupy but it does provide full value, time-stressed riders like myself a sense of hope and motivation that there is some scope to improve. It would be a boring world if we all did the same times. Damn busy at controls too  :)

I don't think I've ever felt so dodgy after a ride. I could barely stand and was almost passing out when I got back. It was not good. That's what you get with no preparation, 21 days continual work, candle burning and little sleep. I need to respect both myself and the rides a bit more I think. Don't regret for a moment being onboard though. The cob webs got a good blast, and they needed it.

I last did this in 2007 so it's been a while. That's plenty of time to forget about all the various lumpy bits that pop up from time to time. "I don't remember this, I don't remember that'. I was almost throwing the toys out of the recumbent pram in the Cotswolds. If I did the ride again, I'd be very tempted to take the Dean route after Stow and miss the Winchcombe Hill descent completely. I really don't like that drop at all. Descending is great on a recumbent, but that particular descent has me feeling like I'm falling through a lift shaft.

It was a day of varied weather, varied terrain, and varied levels of alertness too. Boy, I got the dozies on the way back and had a real problem in Slough holding it together. I was cycling at maximum snails pace and the tank was utterly empty. Nought left at all. I was bought back to life suddenly when, passing a petrol station, this car door flung open, a pair of nicely formed fish-netted legs shoved themselves into the air, their owner collapsed on her back across the two font seats, exuded loud cackling laughter and introduced herself with an opening comment of "Cor, f*****g hell mate!" And then laughed a lot more :-) I rode on.

The last two hours were pedaled at a snails pace that was so very, very slow I was barely moving. Rolled over the line at 6.30am.

As ever, I enjoyed being on the other side of the counter - hard work and I have sore feet

I'm not surprised after last weekend. In case any of you didn't know but Marcus did a complete route check on his own last weekend! And it was cold and it was damp. And there was no toasted sandwich at the end. So respect to you young Marcus. Blimey, that kind of being-on-your-own-out-there almost has a hardcore TG-esque feel to it.  :thumbsup:

Many thanks to Liam and everybody else who gave time yesterday.
Garry Broad

« Reply #101 on: 11 May, 2015, 12:02:28 am »
I might blog a more detailed report later if I can piece the bits back together. Summary:

4am
Cycled out to start, arrived late again but not as late as last time so I'm getting better!
Cycled, passed Ray and Mike, got wet, ate cake (Yarnton).
Cycled, got wet, talked to Frank, dried out standing outside whilst eating cake (Tewkesbury).
Cycled, said hi to Martin and ate a Turkish Delight (Chepstow, this time not experienced whilst covered in grit after changing tubes), took some photos of the Severn and surrounds.
Cycled, ran out of fluids (stupid small lucozade bottles) so stopped for a pint and got bottles refilled in a pub in Malmesbury.
Cycled, memory failing but definitely went for more oddities at Membury Serivices - steak crisps? wtf? Pocketed an iced coffee for later.
Cycled, darkness descends, dodging deer decidedly dangerous during descents, impressed that Henley put on a fireworks show for my arrival, that was very nice of them.
Cycled the long way based on the GPS and picked up a receipt in Chalfont (need to check credit card - that'll cost me)
Headed to the HQ to see if anyone was there and told the previous people what I'd been up to, the bloke was amazed. Liam arrived just as I had my phone out to ask him what to do with brevet card. Consumed a bakewell and espresso and rolled home, arriving some time before 1am
2am schleepies!

« Reply #102 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:28:57 am »
Went to bed at 9:45pm. Not sure how much I slept, as I kept opening my eyes to check the time (despite setting the alarm for 1:15am). Got up to turn off the alarm before it went off, looked outside, and decided I would do the online ECE. Left at 2:20, allowing plenty of time for the 38 mile trip to the start. Arrived at 5am, where it looked like I was the first one for breakfast.

Faffed about with my bike bag at 6, whilst all were setting off. Surprised to see my club mate turn up (he did a Poole 400 with 6AAA points last weekend). Setting off a few minutes after, we caught a good bunch around 7:15, until he rode on the front and missed the turn in Islip (that'll teach him to turn over his routesheet when necessary). I waited for him, so we arrived at Yarnton in the rain, and behind the others. My clubmate is fitter, and kept going ahead on the climbs. I didn't see him again beyond Stow, but exchanged a few texts. I did most of the ride on my own, some short bits chatting with others I met on the way. I stopped at the first café with bikes outside in Tewkesbury (foolishly thought I could make the RHP for a veggie breakfast before 12). Lovely (though very hot) soup, and décor. The arm and leg warmers came off. Although it wasn't far, I decided to stop at the Good News café in Newent for a pot of tea and choccy shortbread in the sun. The waitress hadn't seen another cyclist. Honked up Yat, squeezing past oncoming cars, with an Amersham club bloke who managed it seated. I worked out I was around 90 minutes behind my mate by the time I arrived in Chepstow, and couldn't even stomach eating curry and naan, like he had. I bought a Tesco sandwich meal deal, to eat the other side of the bridge (my calmest crossing yet). Ate the sandwich and crisps in bits (finished it for breakfast after I got home). Honked up the Monument climb, and tried to take pics of it on the mobile. Saw audaxers go by, so caught up with one, and we stopped to chat to the drunk who was lying on the road, trying to hold his breath. He was waiting for a lift, but not the car which turned up first. We left him, and carried on. Arrived at Membury alone, and ordered a coffee (forgetting I threw up the last one there on the Dean). Several tired looking cyclist there, discussing the A4 option. Not done that before, so I decided to. Left on my own, the only other cyclist I saw before the end was one on the A4, heading in the opposite direction (fast finisher?). Didn't enjoy the A4 (at least my wrists and legs didn't). Worn out with unevenly filled trenches in places, hard spotting the A4 signs all the time in Reading, and all the lights in Slough would turn to red just before I arrived. I hopped onto the cycle path in places, but that felt no better. I arrived at the finish by 4:30am, two hours behind my mate, and about 30 mins earlier than two years ago. It was a lovely warm welcome, even though I found the pasta sauce a bit too spicy (I am mild). had a nice chat/listen, and rest (planned on a nap, but didn't feel like it).

Left at 5:45 for the A413 bash to Aylesbury and beyond. Wish I'd left later/gone slower/suffered one of the two punctures I had on another return trip, as I thought I'd hit home around 9am (as last time) so I could stop at the McDonalds where my CTC mates would be meeting for their ride, but I passed there just after 8. Did the usual (uploaded the ECE, checked email, had a bath and fell asleep in it, twice).

Thanks to all the helpers. I will volunteer at an event at some time, if only to look at the suffering/happy/tired cyclists through fresh eyes.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #103 on: 11 May, 2015, 03:34:43 pm »
This is my route
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7801138

Excellent, thanks for this  ;D
This turns out to be a bit crap.  Serves me right for doing it too hastily on RideWithGPS.  The part getting to the A4 was fine, getting through Reading and the turn towards Gerrard's Cross was ok, but it kept leaving the A4 for no good reason, then turning back onto it.

I hope it didn't cause you too much pain.

« Reply #104 on: 11 May, 2015, 04:32:54 pm »

This turns out to be a bit crap.  Serves me right for doing it too hastily on RideWithGPS.  The part getting to the A4 was fine, getting through Reading and the turn towards Gerrard's Cross was ok, but it kept leaving the A4 for no good reason, then turning back onto it.

I hope it didn't cause you too much pain.

Actually, I didn't use it in the end - I teamed up with another rider & we decided to do the 'standard' (non A4) route back, so no worries  ;D

« Reply #105 on: 11 May, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to Liam, Marcus, Martin, Manotea, all the other helpers.

This was a really good 400. I did get moody in the wind a couple of times, particularly in the rain before Tewkesbury, but this was all far too drama free. I was quite tired at Membury, but the fast, flat last 90k down the A4 woke me up a bit and was fine. The rolling bit before Membury was all getting a bit hard, but anyone can ride forever on the flat. And I like the A4, all those possibilities of petrol stations, kebabs, coffees, chip vans, train stations ;) What more could an Audaxer want at night? Finished some time around 1.30ish or so feeling relatively fresh compared to my only other disastrous attempt at 400k where the last 100k took 8 hours. This time it took 4 ;)

Some really nice roads, nice views, really liked the route. Having MattCs tour guide services between 70k and 320k made the time go quicker and me not lose the plot, and get on a train, but having finished my other one saying never again and that I hated it, I actually genuinely enjoyed this ride!! I have big concerns over 600 for sure, but this was a great day out.

I ate everything. Another of my 60 worries is how much I seemed to be inhaling. I have actually totted up everything I think I ate on Sat, and it comes to 4,500 calories. This seems a crazy amount of food to be eating, especially as on Sunday, I was too sleepy to be bothered to do any exercise. My legs also still hurt. Is all this normal? *yet another hysterical post despite the event having finished*

« Reply #106 on: 11 May, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »
"I ate everything. Another of my 60 worries is how much I seemed to be inhaling. I have actually totted up everything I think I ate on Sat, and it comes to 4,500 calories. This seems a crazy amount of food to be eating, especially as on Sunday, I was too sleepy to be bothered to do any exercise. My legs also still hurt. Is all this normal? *yet another hysterical post despite the event having finished*"

According to my powermeter I used over 10,000 calories during the 400k so ingesting 4,500 would be under-eating in my case :)
My legs were reasonably stiff and a bit tender on Sunday and I was a bit slower riding to work this morning but they should be good for 600k on Sat.
I always make sure I get a good dose of protein and some carbs, if I can face them, post ride. It should help reduce muscle damage.

« Reply #107 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:03:55 pm »
I did ride this morning, and it was ok if a little sluggish. I'm supposed to have a running race tomorrow night though, and currently don't fancy this idea!

I did eat some rice pudding at the finish, but it was all a bit middle of the night to be eating much. I have food guilt when I stuff my face all day.

« Reply #108 on: 11 May, 2015, 05:07:19 pm »
You can't have food guilt if you've just spent 12+ hours riding a bike. I mean, you can, but you shouldn't.

« Reply #109 on: 11 May, 2015, 06:54:47 pm »
You can't have food guilt if you've just spent 12+ hours riding a bike. I mean, you can, but you shouldn't.

Its the only reason I ride

« Reply #110 on: 11 May, 2015, 06:56:23 pm »
I made it round, but not without my usual bodges and mini-dramas.

I live about 30km away from the start, and am carless.    I decided to get a room at a nearby hotel, so I could get a good nights sleep.  hah.  Nice room and everything, but I just didn't sleep :( I was still awake at 1am.  Alarm set for 5 woke me (a little confused) but somehow I didn't get to the start until about 6:10.  Manotoa and Liam pushed me off down the road by 6:15.  Had a little laugh, because I saw one cyclist heading back from the wrong direction. I only laughed because I did that in 2013. Maybe there should be an arrow pointing left at the start?

15 minutes is not a lot after 400km, but you need to remember I finished the 3Down with 2 minutes to spare, so this was cutting dangerously into reserve. 

Maybe 30km down the road, when it was raining steadily but not too hard, I hit metal grate or cover in the road at the wrong angle and came down.  As the last time that happened, I broke my collar bone, so lay in the road for a few seconds while 3 cars drove round me without checking if I was alright.  Got up, and nothing hurt too much, so I walked along blubbing for a bit, then resumed my ride.  A car from the other direction came by and asked if I was ok, and offered to help.  I was very grateful to have my faith in humanity restored, but I really was OK.  Two bruised and grazed knees, a grazed elbow, ruined tights and a strangely painful tiny cut on ring finger that makes typing s, x or w excruciating.  No sexting for a couple of weeks, I guess.

The rest was my usual long slog around, coming into controls with minutes to spare.  At Membury I got a receipt from the petrol station, and then headed to the main building for sitting and proper food.  Sadly, Membury isn't the same as it was 2 years ago: a Starbucks downstairs  open 24 hours means that upstairs is now locked at 3am.  And more sadly, even tired and hungry at 4am, Starbucks is still horrible.  I managed to eat a panini and most of a coffee and took a solid break of nearly an hour.  That left me with 5 hours for the 90km (A4 route) which I thought was doable.  Which it was, and I arrived back with 12 minutes in hand.  Liam tried to trick me into thinking I'd missed the cutoff, but I was so tired I didn't react at all, except to ask him what time the cutoff was.   I'd come to terms with not finishing at multiple points around the ride, so I was cool.

Scoffed some beans on toast (from MarcusJB?) and a cup of tea.  And an apple pie.  Packed my bike up, but didn't leave until Liam dragged me out of the centre and sent me on my way.  Due to many little rests, the 30km ride south took nearly 3 hours!  Then I slept the afternoon away.

Final touch - at about midnight Sunday, I was sitting near my bike, and heard the hiss of all the air escaping the front tyre.  Haven't checked the injury yet, but anytime after Chepstow, that would have been a complete - and ride ending - disaster.    Phew!

Thanks Liam and team.  A good ride.  Hopefully I can pull something out for the WCW, otherwise I'm going to be curled up by the road somewhere near Birmingham

Edit: forgot four things
  • Strava
  • Lovely man on the outskirts of Chepstow, while I was walking up a slight incline: "Mechanical or physical? I'm a bike mechanic.  I saw you walking up the Yat."  Um, thanks but can we pretend that didn't happen?  :hand:
  • Played with Strava flybys.  Seems "Robert" left Membury 1/2 hour before me - I was out of it, I never saw him - took the official route and got to the arrivee just after me.  Glad I chose the cowards way.
  • Had a reunion, of sorts, in Membury.  When I arrived there 2 years ago, well out of time there were 2 guys asleep with buffs pulled over their eyes, and their mountain bikes in the corner having abandoned.  The only rider I spoke to at Membury this time was one of them (we also met last week at a 200).  He packed at Membury, resigned to sleeping in Starbucks as there was no alternative.  His companion from two years earlier has apparently been struck with chronic fatigue, and given up audaxing  :( .

« Reply #111 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:10:00 pm »
great ride report jefmcg thanks, and well done, see you in Windsor  :thumbsup:

« Reply #112 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:19:01 pm »
My first 400 and a ride I've had my sights set on since starting this ridiculous activity... Great route, some nice villages I'd like to visit on a more leisurely tour (and stop for a pub lunch). Judging by all the placards still up (and the result), definitely the Tory heartlands! (Incidentally will HS2 construction have an impact on future rides out of Chalfont?)

Thanks to Liam and co and Marcus for taking care of things at the Arrivee. Finished in around 23 hours and now weighing up what I might do as a 600. Originally was thinking Beast from the East just to complete the Willesden SR selection but I did find this one tough and I've heard about the Beast's reputation. Best decide soon.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #113 on: 11 May, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
What sort of flow was that zigzag? a nuclear one ?
here's a clue as to why he's so quick:
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/across-europe-in-a-fortnight-the-transcontinental-2013.145113/
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #114 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:08:47 pm »
What sort of flow was that zigzag? a nuclear one ?
here's a clue as to why he's so quick:
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/across-europe-in-a-fortnight-the-transcontinental-2013.145113/

Yes, was always illuminated, I remember it well.

That was 2013 though. A lot can happen in two years.
We're only as good as our last ride. Is that a negative thing to say?
No, I don't think so.
Turning things upside down, look at it this way - we're also only as bad as our last ride too.

Nothing is ever cemented, we're always moving and evolving :-)
Garry Broad

« Reply #115 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:18:35 pm »
Which it was, and I arrived back with 12 minutes in hand.

Hey, chapeau for surviving a fall and getting round ok.

And you got beans at the cut-off. That's quality or service.
You can't be guaranteed that on every Audax :-)
Garry Broad

Chris S

« Reply #116 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:56:57 pm »

That is the proper Audax spirit, right there.

This is a pet peeve of ours (fboab and me) - we think the last rider on the road deserves every bit as much TLC as the first, and we get quite annoyed when we see controls packing up while the control is still open, and there are riders expected.

Wouldn't expect this kind of behaviour from the Willesden of course; they know how to run an event  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #117 on: 12 May, 2015, 12:23:08 am »
I made it round, but not without my usual bodges and mini-dramas.

I think I was leaving membury just as you were coming in (at about 3am) but all I could manage at that time was a vague grunt and a small nod of hello.

Sorry for that (if it was you and not some hallucination)

Now I'm more lucid - I do find your tales of adventure very inspirational  :)
Certainly closer to my experience than "I got round in twenty minutes and then did a quick marathon".

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #118 on: 12 May, 2015, 11:14:13 am »
From where I sit those kind of times are truly amazing, and I salute you all. It's not a place I will ever occupy but it does provide full value, time-stressed riders like myself a sense of hope and motivation that there is some scope to improve.

Dave Winslade, who organises the Fairies events, always says it's about having a good time, not doing a good time. I wholeheartedly concur with the sentiment although I would add that the two are not mutually exclusive. However, completing a 400km audax within the time limit is an impressive feat by any 'normal' standards of athleticisim - especially one as challenging as the Severn Across, and especially in the weather conditions this weekend.* So give yourself a huge pat on the back.

*At one point, grovelling into the headwind to Wells on the Asparagus & Strawberries 400 on Saturday, a fellow rider said: "At least we're not doing the Severn Across."  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #119 on: 12 May, 2015, 01:49:41 pm »
Though intimidated by the prospect of the ride initially, I ended up really enjoying the ride. Thank you to Liam and team for organising and staffing the event.

I live about 30 km away from the start so left the house at about 04:15 on the Saturday having hastily plotted a route to the start. The route proved interesting with some off-road bridleway bashing through woodlands. A nice way to start.

From the start, I got on to the back of the fast group and did a little turn at the front before realising that I'd dropped my friend and so chose to pull over and wait for him to catch up. He did and we worked together for a little while until we caught up with a lady, Sandra. As Sandra and I spoke we upped the pace a little and I didn't notice that once again my friend had dropped behind. I waited at Yarnton Nurseries for him while others went on. He was some time as he'd punctured. After some breakfast for him we were back on the bikes and we rode together for a while longer - up to about the 100 km mark where we chose to split. I later heard from him that his rear shifter had snapped and that he was operating with only two gears. (He managed to make it round, scraping in at most of the controls from that point on. @jefmcg - the Robert on your Strava flyby will have been my friend.)

I rode pretty much on my own through to just before Symons Yat though I did pass and ride with a couple of people for a short while. I admitted to one that for the previous 10 minutes I had been having a bad patch with lots of "this is ridiculous why am I doing this?" type moments. Even a quick exchange of words, brightened my outlook.

Some time before Symons Yat the tubeless tyre on my front wheel decided to start losing pressure, and this problem would plague me through to Chepstow where I was able to re-seal it. It meant that every 30 km or so I had to inflate the wheel again. Rode with a trio for a little while up Symons Yat and we were all stopped by a police officer who asked for our help in searching for a missing person.

There seemed to be a fair few people taking a little while out at the Tesco in Chepstow and I joined them there for a while eventually leaving at about 19:00. (For future reference, anyone considering the chicken nuggets from the hot counter should consider something else - they were rather like packages of cardboard wrapped up in crispy breadcrumbs.)

I think the section between Chepstow and the Membury Services was my favourite. The route sheet was broken down in to roughly 25km chunks and this made it feel as though I was whizzing through the 100 or so kms. I met JossW in the very pretty Malmesbury and after a little food we rode together for a short while. I got a fresh set of legs and pushed on a little more.

I arrived at the Membury control to see one person (Rob, I think - Audax Club Hackney cap) leaving. I settled down for a coffee and a little rest intending to push on quite quickly. I was feeling pretty good, and with just under a hundred to go, I was in good spirits. While having my coffee Sandra the lady I'd ridden with earlier turned up along with two others, Phil and Martin. Joss turned up too. There was talk of using the A4 home but I was starting to feel tired, and knowing that the route sheet had really helped me through the previous section I wanted to stick to that. In addition I was hoping to ride with a group through the night too, and this was an opportunity to do so.

We formed a good group and made good progress, I really enjoyed the lanes and though the route sheet urged caution I didn't find them too difficult. I thought the surfaces were in a good condition and they were practically car free.

With about 50 km to go the group split with 3 of us leaving Martin and Phil behind, the temperature had really dropped and I for one was getting really cold. We arrived back to arrivee at about 04:45 to a warm welcome from Marcus and Liam and were waited on hand-and-foot. There was a nice group there recovering, and it felt great to have completed my first 400.

A plate of beans and toast, washed down with a couple of cups of tea, perhaps a bakewell tart too and I was off again for the ride home. It was my wife's birthday and I'd promised to be home before the kids woke up so I had a little bit of a race on my hands. Thankfully the legs weren't too tired, and the food and drink recently taken on had given me the required energy. Home by about 06:45 in the end. Sorted the kids out, made the wife a cup of tea and collapsed into bed for a couple of hours before the celebrations began.

A beautiful route and a good day awheel all told. The photos above tell you just how beautiful the scenery was. Thanks once again to Liam and team.

« Reply #120 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:24:56 pm »
^^ Hi Dan - wasn't sure if you hung around these parts but thanks for the company for the last section. Makes a big difference when you're cold and tired. Hope the birthday celebrations went well. I slept for a few hours then cycled to Victoria park for a couple of beers at Inn on the Park with a couple of mates. Lovely.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #121 on: 13 May, 2015, 12:48:56 am »
Its about 4 years since I last rode this one, and have been audaxing in the hills of Wessex and Devon and Cornwall in the interim. That's not to say I didn't notice the climbs on Saturday! I think the headwind on the way out to Chepstow made the climbing much more noticeable.
The night before I caught a train after work  from Marylebone to Seer Green, & chatted with Joe, who was also on the event. I stayed at Jordans YHA for the night. Met Anthony from Hackney there, who was also riding the event. In the morning it was a short hop to breakfast at the start. Nice to see Liam, the organiser - I remember riding round a few events at the same speed a few years back, also said hi to LaidbackRich, CET, Manotea, etc, etc. When you've been on these rides for 9 years there's always someone to recognise, (or who recognises you)! Was ready to go at the back of the first group, and on the way to Yarnton several faster riders passed me, but I didn't catch anyone. Nice to see Mike B, who was riding with Javier. I rode a section of PBP '11 with Mike. He only ever rides audaxes in PBP years, and does no specific training...chapeau! Got caught by some heavier rain just before Yarnton control, so glad of waterproofs and rainlegs.
Next through the Cotswolds, which is always a pleasure. Lots of rapeseed growing in the fields, and also bluebells in the woods earlier. Chatted with Tony G, who I first rode with back in 1989 on my Tunisia CTC Tour. No concerns about terrorism in those days, only kids throwing stones at us. we ate lunch together in Tewkesbury. On the way to Yat Rock, I didn't see any riders for some time, until Mike and Javier passed me again, having stopped for a hot meal earlier. My gears were playing up on the climb, and I had to walk the last bit when they slipped. New chain, cassette, and bottom bracket being fitted today ready for the WCW 600! Last few kms into the wind before Chepstow took an eternity, it seemed. More cold snack pasta was consumed at the control.
On the way back the tailwind improved my mood. took the A4 option from Membury with Alistair and Rob. We slowed down a lot, due to sleepiness, but finished in just under 24 hours. I was offered a lift , so didn't hang around to accept all the wonderful hospitality offered by Marcus and Liam.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #122 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:05:56 pm »

This is a pet peeve of ours (fboab and me) - we think the last rider on the road deserves every bit as much TLC as the first, and we get quite annoyed when we see controls packing up while the control is still open, and there are riders expected.

Wouldn't expect this kind of behaviour from the Willesden of course; they know how to run an event  :thumbsup:.

So true. 

To be fare, after the 3 down when I go there with (1/2/5 - pick one) minutes to spare, they had packed up.  But it was 2am and I got a lift home, which is taking full service to the next level. 

(my last two stops on LEL - my last two, they weren't the last two for people that completed - had no food and no hot food respectively.   So very grateful for a pile of beans on toast.  Not a food I normally eat, but it seemed just the thing for that moment, and it disappeared quickly. I didn't ask, but they seemed to be out of hollandaise sauce, so no eggs benedict were offered.)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #123 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:07:37 pm »

So true. 

To be fare, after the 3 down when I go there with (1/2/5 - pick one) minutes to spare, they had packed up.  But it was 2am and I got a lift home, which is taking full service to the next level. 

(my last two stops on LEL - my last two, they weren't the last two for people that completed - had no food and no hot food respectively.   So very grateful for a pile of beans on toast.  Not a food I normally eat, but it seemed just the thing for that moment, and it disappeared quickly. I didn't ask, but they seemed to be out of hollandaise sauce, so no eggs benedict were offered.)

On LEL at Barnard Castle we kept a pot of stew going whilst we gradually wound everything down and we were able to serve the last rider about an hour after the control had closed.  He asked us not to bother but the look of happiness in his eyes when he saw a bowl of hot food kept me going for the three following hours of cleaning up in the kitchen.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #124 on: 20 May, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=15-309

Happy we have been homologated.  Just one step away from an SR for me then.

Just one, teensy, eensy, weensy 600km step away ....  :sick: