Author Topic: Brompton A Line £950  (Read 1758 times)

Brompton A Line £950
« on: 19 September, 2023, 04:20:19 pm »
This is the cheapest Brompton, I guess it's fine for riding 1 or 2 miles to and from a train station. The only con is it doesn't come with mudguards, I can do without the rear rack, is there anything else to be aware of?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brompton A Line £950
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2023, 04:25:42 pm »
Bear in mind that the primary function of the rear rack on a Brompton is stabilising the folded package, followed by mudguard protection and giving you a more sensible place to mount a rear light.  Luggage carrying is a bonus.

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2023, 04:47:42 pm »
Are you looking to buy?  I'm tempted to sell my B75, which I think is identical spec (Different colour). 
Two years old, less than 50 miles (About 8 trips to and from the railway station 3 miles away) Fitted rack and guards, optional telescopic seatpost, Welgo folding pedals, spare tubes, new front luggage block, secondhand bag.  Unmarked.
I've really tried to like it, but  prefer to put up with the more awkward fold on my Airnimal.

Other than the sales pitch  ;) I think they're mostly older style components, stuff like brakes and levers, looks like they were originally using up old stock, but the popularity at this price point (Mainly due to Halfords) made them re-order similar.  Other difference, it doesn't come with a folding pedal. I think that's it, other than it being offered in just one spec with no options, otherwise it looks the same as the next model up with the same gearing.

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2023, 04:58:04 pm »
The non-folding left pedal is a big deal if you plan to stash it in a small space on a train. I feel like a lot of people end up upgrading many of the cost saving parts on cheaper Bromptons, which makes it less an actual product, more a deposit on a real Brompton.

Worth looking at the second hand market if you want better VFM, especially as a lot of Bromptons are bought aspirationally and have next to zero miles.

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
Are you looking to buy?  I'm tempted to sell my B75,

What sort of price are you looking for?

If it is OK to ask in this thread.

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2023, 05:49:14 pm »
The non-folding left pedal is a big deal if you plan to stash it in a small space on a train. I feel like a lot of people end up upgrading many of the cost saving parts on cheaper Bromptons, which makes it less an actual product, more a deposit on a real Brompton.

Worth looking at the second hand market if you want better VFM, especially as a lot of Bromptons are bought aspirationally and have next to zero miles.

I've read secondhand prices are quite high, personally would buy new if used prices are no lower than say 80% compared with new. Eg if an used Brompton A Line was £750, I would buy a new one, unless I knew the seller, directly or indirectly.

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2023, 05:56:27 pm »
Are you looking to buy?  I'm tempted to sell my B75,

What sort of price are you looking for?

If it is OK to ask in this thread.
Say 80% of what you could buy a new one for.
I'm off out, I'll put an actual figure on it later if you're interested.  I'll have to look at what the extras cost and PM you.