Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450511 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3325 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:57:32 pm »
Hello YACFers!

Thank you for all the support you've given Kurt and I. What a year, huh. I wish I had the words to describe it in short, although, I believe Jo's graph does a good job from a different perspective (one I haven't seen yet even though I was in the thuck of it). All I can say is: it wasn't easy! No matter how you look at it, over 200 miles on ANY bike day after day after day after day after day after day, etc..... is not easy.

I would like to say something on behalf of the UMCA. It was a surprise to us that they approached Guinness. We are thrilled that they did. Kurt deserves this record title. There will always be controversy about the way this record is handled, that's the historic nature of this sport and the opinions of so many. What I do know is that UMCA was asked to become the officiating body. They are all volunteers who are ultra cyclists themselves, most are highly educated professionals. What I've experienced is that the UMCA is here to advance, support and organize a framework for ultracycling not monopolize it. Anyways, I have a great respect for them and the efforts that they go to for the love of their sport.

As we all know, this is not about fame and glory. It's about human ability and how far we can push it individually. The critics, haters, trolls and douchbags will always be out there, haha. It takes a lot to ride right through it. However, anyone who chooses to take this challenge on, be smart and make it count.

It's been fun and entertaining to read the comments. It's not difficult to spot the heart of the true endurance cyclists.

Ride on!
You-know-who  ;D

Hey, Alicia - welcome!

It's been brilliant watching you two throughout the year (Steve too), and we all really enjoyed your video reports. Take some time to look through Jo's visualisations - they really brought home the scale of the challenge and helped us appreciate what you all were going through.

It was a hell of a year for cycling; I doubt we'll see another like it for a while. But we have Kajsa and Bruce to keep an eye on, so we won't suffer too many withdrawal symptoms. Hope to see the pair of you over here sometime!

« Reply #3326 on: 24 January, 2016, 10:05:46 am »
Welcome Whip   and thank you both.   saying anything else would be superfluous. Except to say may you both have long lives and happiness.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #3327 on: 24 January, 2016, 10:19:23 am »
Ride on!
You-know-who  ;D

Well, Kurt couldn't have done it without you that's for sure.
What an achievement and what a cracking ride it was.
Take care.
Garry Broad

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3328 on: 24 January, 2016, 10:44:22 am »
Hello YACFers!

Thank you for all the support you've given Kurt and I. What a year, huh. I wish I had the words to describe it in short, although, I believe Jo's graph does a good job from a different perspective (one I haven't seen yet even though I was in the thuck of it). All I can say is: it wasn't easy! No matter how you look at it, over 200 miles on ANY bike day after day after day after day after day after day, etc..... is not easy.

I would like to say something on behalf of the UMCA. It was a surprise to us that they approached Guinness. We are thrilled that they did. Kurt deserves this record title. There will always be controversy about the way this record is handled, that's the historic nature of this sport and the opinions of so many. What I do know is that UMCA was asked to become the officiating body. They are all volunteers who are ultra cyclists themselves, most are highly educated professionals. What I've experienced is that the UMCA is here to advance, support and organize a framework for ultracycling not monopolize it. Anyways, I have a great respect for them and the efforts that they go to for the love of their sport.

As we all know, this is not about fame and glory. It's about human ability and how far we can push it individually. The critics, haters, trolls and douchbags will always be out there, haha. It takes a lot to ride right through it. However, anyone who chooses to take this challenge on, be smart and make it count.

It's been fun and entertaining to read the comments. It's not difficult to spot the heart of the true endurance cyclists.

Ride on!
You-know-who  ;D
Hello Alicia, and congratulations to you both. Having done a 223 mile day I certainly didn't feel like doing the same again right afterwards. Let alone a whole year of that. Awesome, awesome job.

hillbilly

« Reply #3329 on: 24 January, 2016, 11:40:21 am »
I can't resist posting this.

http://youtu.be/j_QLzthSkfM

(Congratulations on your marriage btw.  I think that was one of the more heartwarming things this year, as it showed the strength of human relationships during a year that I imagine might have been "testing" from time to time.  I hope Kurt is enjoying his beer fund, and you are helping him enjoy it too!)

« Reply #3330 on: 24 January, 2016, 12:26:05 pm »

Ride on!
You-know-who  ;D

Wow! We're touched by the hand of glory!

Welcome, and thank you for the spectacle. It's been a heck of a year.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #3331 on: 24 January, 2016, 12:49:12 pm »
The various threads are a fascinating resource.

What's needed to make sense of the whole online response is a master graphic plotting daily performance against the date.

That way anyone writing it up can easily dip into the various threads to see the response to the highs and lows of the whole event.

The most interesting bit to me is the slump  Kurt and Steve experienced in the middle of the year. That's when there was speculation about blood dilution and cardiac effects. If Bruce continues, it's the part of the experience that might be the most difficult to deal with on his own.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3332 on: 24 January, 2016, 01:07:20 pm »
Ride on!
You-know-who  ;D

Well, Kurt couldn't have done it without you that's for sure.
What an achievement and what a cracking ride it was.
Take care.

Absolutely.

You were as much a part of this record as Kurt and thank you for letting us be a part of it via FB etc.

Congratulations to you both and I hope you all the best for your future together.

H

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3333 on: 24 January, 2016, 01:21:09 pm »
Hearty congratulations to both of you!

Thanks for being so kind as to pop in to say hello and put a few folk straight in the process of summing up that huge effort by Kurt and yourself.

A tip of the hat to you two and best wishes.  :)
Embrace your inner Fred.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #3334 on: 24 January, 2016, 04:03:22 pm »
Hi Alicia,

Welcome.

I've known Steve for a while, and what the HAMR means to him.  As the challenge slowly grew from embryonic thoughts into a fully fledged endeavour, it got really exciting.

Then, at the start of the year, it seemed like there was going to be a nail biting challenge from a "new comer".  Someone from the New World.  From a one horse race, it turned into a competition.

Naturally I was "rooting" for Steve, but only in the cricketing sense (metaphors mixed).  I wanted both adversaries to do well.  Then when it became evident that 2015 was really only going to be Kurt's race, the audacity of your challenge meant that you and Kurt were the champions of long distance cycling. 

As everybody acknowledges, your effort was a joint one.  So congratulations to you both on a magnificent effort.

I've been one of those contributing to the debate about the where the mileage mark lies.  As you know, each HAMR attempt is an individual effort that contains trials and tribulations unique to it.  I hope you don't consider this trolling. 

I haven't seen all the communication you have received over the year, but I have seen an outpouring of respect.  I am really surprised that there have been "haters" aiming their barbs at you.  That must have been awful.

I wish you and Kurt all the best, and thank you for your contributions over the year.

Mighty congratulations on your year.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #3335 on: 24 January, 2016, 05:21:10 pm »
Hi Whip,

I have an interest in diet and what Kurt had to eat on a daily basis. There was some funny YouTube pictures of Kurt eating junk food, but I for one always thought there was some keen eyed individual watching what he ate. Food for me was like sleep in an event that goes on all year. You have to get a cycle that works and can be sustained.

So any information on what he really ate? I for one would appreciate some info.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3336 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:33:33 am »
Hello YACFers!

Ride on!
You-know-who  ;D

I've made this offer elsewhere - in case tex-HAM'R riders are missing the hills, any rider with a verified mileage of 60,000 or more in a calendar year can have free entry to the Cambrian Series Permanent events http://www.aukweb.net/perms/
 ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #3337 on: 29 January, 2016, 03:04:18 pm »
"I have an interest in diet and what Kurt had to eat on a daily basis. There was some funny YouTube pictures of Kurt eating junk food, but I for one always thought there was some keen eyed individual watching what he ate."

Kurt ate dessert and fast food... according to the media. :o And, I'm guilty of having fun with showing him eating donuts and hamburgers too.

His main fuel on the bike was SPIZ meal replacement. Six to eight bottles a day, 500 calories each.
Two breakfasts, two lunches, pre dinner and then dinner. These were regular healthy average meals that most people eat. When we were on the road he did get more fast food for lunch and pre dinner. He snacked constantly. It's all about shoveling the calories and an iron gut. He was always eating and it was rare that he sat down to eat.
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

LMT

« Reply #3338 on: 29 January, 2016, 03:29:24 pm »
"I have an interest in diet and what Kurt had to eat on a daily basis. There was some funny YouTube pictures of Kurt eating junk food, but I for one always thought there was some keen eyed individual watching what he ate."

Kurt ate dessert and fast food... according to the media. :o And, I'm guilty of having fun with showing him eating donuts and hamburgers too.

His main fuel on the bike was SPIZ meal replacement. Six to eight bottles a day, 500 calories each.
Two breakfasts, two lunches, pre dinner and then dinner. These were regular healthy average meals that most people eat. When we were on the road he did get more fast food for lunch and pre dinner. He snacked constantly. It's all about shoveling the calories and an iron gut. He was always eating and it was rare that he sat down to eat.

Indeed it is, from experience junk food whilst cycling is good if done in moderation. You know what you are getting and it's calorie dense so it's all good.

Many congrats on the record BTW, it was great watching the FB vids and I look forward to reading your future published memoirs...

hillbilly

« Reply #3339 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:12:21 pm »
The junk food images fitted in with the stereotype that much of the world has about the American diet.  For example, a balanced meal meaning a burger in one hand and a large coke in the other.

« Reply #3340 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:18:29 pm »
Like the stereotypical Audax UK food of beans on toast, possibly with a sausage or two, followed by rice pudding or cake. Simply not true, it's samosas now.

« Reply #3341 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:46:53 pm »
Beans on toast? :facepalm:

The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

« Reply #3343 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:51:22 pm »

Here seen in its natural habitat, note the other Randonneur tucking into 2 croissants with strawberry jam, clearly something of a metrosexual.

« Reply #3344 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:57:43 pm »
Food of the gods!!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #3345 on: 29 January, 2016, 05:59:03 pm »
No that's Ambrosia! But Lidl own brand rice pudding is perfectly acceptable.

hillbilly

« Reply #3346 on: 29 January, 2016, 06:29:15 pm »

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3347 on: 29 January, 2016, 06:58:29 pm »

The two of you need to come over and ride a brevet here. I am sure you would receive the warmest of welcomes and a thorough education on the delights of beans of toast and the fried breakfast in general!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3348 on: 31 January, 2016, 07:37:41 pm »

Do you and Kurt like beer?

I can help on that score.

H

« Reply #3349 on: 31 January, 2016, 08:24:44 pm »
Here seen in its natural habitat, note the other Randonneur tucking into 2 croissants with strawberry jam, clearly something of a metrosexual.

Those were nice croissants, I'll have you know.