Author Topic: Cancer Research UK and Strava 300Mile Challenge  (Read 2548 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Cancer Research UK and Strava 300Mile Challenge
« on: 03 September, 2019, 01:34:02 am »
CANCER RESEARCH UK AND STRAVA 300MILE CHALLENGE
Many will not know how my wife Shirley’s life has been turned upside down by a diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer last January. A dozen Chemo sessions later we await the next phase as will be determined by QE Hospital Birmingham. Additionally, I had a Bladder Cancer removed last Autumn after noticing blood in my urine. Subsequent tests suggest I am clear. My exposure to Cancer in these ways has determined my awareness to this nasty disease and the value of the Research that has enabled so many to live with and survive Cancer.

My Challenge is to ride 300miles in September. Those who know me will know I am currently riding at least 250miles a month by riding 2 x 200km Audax events, so the extra 50miles might seem small beer. I did not cheat but managed 125miles on 1 Sep with a Perm route over Clee Hill in Shropshire to start the total. This is already logged on my Strava account. I am having to fit my rides into caring for Shirley, so do not have the freedom I previously enjoyed.

You can contribute towards my sponsorship by visiting my CRUK Donations account: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/stephens-cycle-300-fundraising-page-108

I have started the account by donating £50 (£1 from every Audax ride I have sold in this Audax year); that reduces my cut to almost zero!

You can boost the fund by simply entering one of my Perms during this month and I will put another £1 into the fund.

Many Thanks
Steve Poulton aka 3peaker
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: Cancer Research UK and Strave 300Mile Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2019, 03:00:01 pm »
Steve,

Sorry to hear about your wife and hoping for a good outcome.

I would love to ride one of your permanents (have done so in the past) but my wife would kill me as I already have entered three calendar events in September!

Have made a donation on the fundraising page and hope you meet your target soon.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Re: Cancer Research UK and Strava 300Mile Challenge
« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2019, 08:55:46 pm »
I am not asking that you ride in September; just need to enter and ride whenever it suits. Unless, of course, you enter the September Challenge yourself!

The Challenge is giving me something else to ride for. And thanks for your contribution (and to the several generous folk who have already seen my 'Target' exceeded). Perhaps need to add 0 to the Target??
SteveP

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Re: Cancer Research UK and Strave 300Mile Challenge
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:45:51 pm »
Steve,
Really sorry to hear this. Best of luck with the challenge and best of luck to yourself and Shirley.
Cheers,
Bairdy
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2019, 12:13:26 pm »
Steve,
Really sorry to hear this. Best of luck with the challenge and best of luck to yourself and Shirley.
Cheers,
Bairdy
Thanks for the support Bairdy (and for your contribution). Also for prompting the ACB plug for my (near) Bristol rides. Remember, just enter an SP Perm event in September and I will put a pound into the CRUK pot. Might just extend that to October as that is when Strava close the challenge.

I can happily report the 2nd September 200km completed on Sat 21st and smaller top-ups to complete the 300 miles. So my RRTY (series 32 & 33) plans are still alive with the Winter months to come.

You can still support CRUK using Steve’s link:

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/stephens-cycle-300-fundraising-page-108

Many Thanks  Steve Poulton
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:44:44 am »
Hi All
From the earlier posts you will note I am donating £1 per Perm event sold in Yr18-19 and Oct 19 to the CRUK. I can recount that to date friends and family and few others have provided over £810 (+£151 Gift Aid) towards CRUK appeal through Strava.

Not surprising though is that my cycling colleagues have not been over-generous. I do see a couple contributions from close Cycling colleagues – and thank you.
After all, a 300mile Challenge is ‘small beer’ to an avid Audax or even Club cyclist. My Perm sales have now provided £70 towards the total and that has come by simply entering one of my Perms.

You can still help the CRUK funds by simply entering one of my Perms by end-Oct, when I will donate £1 per entry to the fund. So, if you intend to ride some of my Perms through the Winter, why not help CRUK (at no extra expense) by entering an SP Perm or few now.

You can contribute towards my sponsorship by visiting my CRUK Donations account: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/stephens-cycle-300-fundraising-page-108

Shirley is not a well Woman but is coping. I am finding it hard just to get out for a 200, but RRTY still holding on and provides my incentive to ride.

Many thanks: Steve Poulton (3peaker)
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2019, 11:52:51 am »
Since my post above I have been overwhelmed by the respect my cycling friends have shown to my CRUK cause. A few late donations and entries for Winter Perms suggested I put in an additional personal contribution to raise the target to a simple £1000 (+£198 GA). Thank you to all.

RRTY does not have the freedom of previous rides; but is that not what cycling challenges are all about.

I hope to wear my CRUK Jersey (reward for my fund-Raising) at the Dinner in Northallerton and keep my RRTY ticking over by riding there from Nottingham.
SteveP

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:29:07 pm »
Nearly forgot, I'll get the CS300 ridden eventually...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:43:02 pm »

Thanks for your donation Niall. You may want to convert to Cramond & Trossachs 200 for a Winter ride
SteveP

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:48:33 pm »

Thanks for your donation Niall. You may want to convert to Cramond & Trossachs 200 for a Winter ride

What's the route for SP47? I only found the link route from Davidsons Mains to the (former) Crammond Inn on RWGPS.

Although I refer you to the most recent issue of Ariveé for my level of daftness in winter!
I will however believe the weather forecast for wind speeds next time!