Author Topic: Ixon IQ Speed - has anyone tried it?  (Read 1594 times)

Ixon IQ Speed - has anyone tried it?
« on: 11 September, 2012, 10:46:33 am »
Bike24 is selling it for €125, or €70 for the light head & cable alone, which looks like a good price for a light that delivers 50 lux for 10 hours & meets StVZO standards.

Can anyone say
1) What's the light on the road like? Is the beam good?
2) What's the bar mount like? Does it fit oversize bars comfortably & securely? For some of us this matters, & I think accounts to a large extent for the popularity of O-ring light mounts.

The spec says the bettery is 6V, 4.1AH Nimh, but it looks small for that capacity. Five cells, but what size? 3.5 x 1.35 mm DC power plug, which is inconvenient if wanting to use it with other batteries, but that can be got round.

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/akku-scheinwerfer/ixon-iq-speed.html
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=6844;page=9;menu=1000,5,66;mid=0;pgc=0;orderby=3
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: Ixon IQ Speed - has anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »
I have a couple as my main night riding lights.
One points down near to the front of the bike and the other is set to shine as far down the road as possible. I use both lights mainly on the "low" setting, only using the "high" beam on the distance light when there's nothing coming the other way. If I don't dip it, I get flashed by oncoming cars. I've thought about a trying to molish a remote dip-switch but I keep chickening out in case I bugger it up
The beam is the same shape as the standard IQ with the "black hole" in front of the wheel. That's part of the reason that I run two.
It's possible to run two lights off one battery although I've got two. I've never had an issue with battery life and it gives a couple of hours (seemingly) of light when the battery is run down. The first sign is that "high" beam can't be selected and the LEDs on the top of the unit flash "red-red" instead of "red-green" when it's on "low" and "green-green" on "high".
The Speed is a little brighter than the IQ.
Waterproofing seems to be excellent; mine survived the "Mancunian" weather on this year's Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC as well as the reccy ride which was nearly as wet.
The fitting is quite clever. There's a strap which loops around the bars and then back through an over centre clamp which locks it. With the strap pulled tight I've not had any problems with movement even over big bumps.
The strap is long enough for OS bars but I've mounted my lights on a Topeak BarXtender so that I can transfer them quickly between bikes.

11-10-17 2xIQ Speeds on Bar Xtender 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

B&M's customer service is excellent as well. I had a lead start to give problems with intermittent contact when the lights were about 18 months old. I e-mailed and asked to buy a replacement and they sent one FOC.

I like these lights.

« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:32:00 pm »
Thanks. Very helpful & informative. Your picture gives a very good impression of the size of the lights, much better than the background-free B&M pictures.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
Interestingly, my Ixon IQ (the 40Lux version with integrated AA battery compartment) leaked on the Manchester-Morecambe and got stuck in flashing mode.  It's a B&M - it doesn't *have* a flashing mode!  Removing the battery and drying it out brought it back to normal, thankfully.

That's the only time I've ever had a problem with it getting wet, though.  It's been fine in several other apocalyptic downpours before and since.

As I said in another thread, the IQ Speed avoids the two battery compartment related design flaws (contacts bend, catch breaks) of the Ixon IQ, so has a lot going for it on that basis alone.  How it compares to a Cyo running on a battery pack, I'm less sure.

« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
I think I want one, but I can't justify buying another light. We already have a surplus.

« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2012, 12:00:52 pm »
........... but I can't justify buying another light.

Burn the heretic  ;D