Author Topic: Some feedback required for Fuji X100T or similar  (Read 2839 times)

Some feedback required for Fuji X100T or similar
« on: 26 September, 2016, 07:30:23 pm »
Having grown up with all formats of film cameras during all my years in photography, I came out of the profession prior to the digital age taking over. Although I have a DSLR and a couple of compacts which I mainly use on automatic settings, I now have a yearning to get a camera that once again will make me work at my photography.

One of the cameras I have in mind is the Fujifilm X100T because I can get back to using it manually as I would have done my film Leicas. Although the current Leicas are good for what I will now use one I couldn’t justify the cost.

What I would like to know does anyone have one and could they give me some feedback on how it handles and the image quality.

If anyone feels the need to give me other recommendations what I would like is:
Full manual control.
High quality image.
Optical viewfinder or exceedingly good electronic.
Ability to switch off rear screen would be good.
Physically not too large the X100 is as big as I would like.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Re: Some feedback required for Fuji X100T or similar
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2016, 08:20:07 pm »
Optical viewfinder or exceedingly good electronic.

I have a Fuji Xe2, which is a close relative to the X100t.... except for the viewfinder.  I would say that the Xe2 meets most of your criteria, regarding manual controls, image quality, switch off rear screen, but I cannot honestly say that the electronic viewfinder is "exceedingly good". Every time i try to manually focus on a small detail, I end up looking at the screen rather than at the viewfinder.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2016, 10:14:41 am »
AndrewC, Charlotte, and perhaps a few others, have an X100, but I am not sure which precise flavour they have
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2016, 04:46:19 pm »
Have a look at the Ricoh GR 2, it's well reviewed here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-roundups-fixed-prime-lens-cameras

The sony rx100 mk4 is the one I should have bought when I got a micro four thirds.  Doesn't have a viewfinder but a lot of the smaller camera viewfinders are a bit shit anyway, image quality is meant to be fantastic. 

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2016, 04:52:43 pm »
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2016, 05:12:59 pm »
My wife has the Sony RX1 and the new model has a pop up view finder. It's an awesome camera.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2016, 05:30:01 pm »
Olympus Pen F might suit.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »
Looked at the Pen F as a possible.

For me a viewfinder is essential and would prefer an optical.
Home

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2016, 07:09:44 pm »
I use an X100S.
Perhaps we could meet up somewhere half way (Tewkesbury?) and you could have a play?

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2016, 08:15:08 pm »
Andrew that would be great. Let me know a day and time to suit you.
Home

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2016, 10:12:24 am »
Andrew that would be great. Let me know a day and time to suit you.
PM sent

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2016, 11:26:12 am »
The X100 is a lovely street camera, but I find it a bit limiting in the country.  That said, it's pretty close to what I grew up with and there is a certain pleasure in adhering to fixed-lens discipline again, a bit like riding a single-speed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2016, 11:36:56 am »
After testing a few different cameras I have decided to go with the Lumix LX100. The compromise is the electronic viewfinder instead of an optical but in other respects it fits what I am looking for. The zoom lens while not quite the quality of some of the prime lens cameras it does give me shooting flexibility. The Fuji is a very nice camera and thanks to Andrew..S for letting me try his but the smaller physical size with similar performance won the day for the Lumix.

This means I shall probably be advertising my Ricoh GR with the optical viewfinder in the near future as it will now be surplus to requirements.
Home