Author Topic: Android Phone GPS app  (Read 1456 times)

HK

Android Phone GPS app
« on: 04 March, 2013, 11:00:42 am »
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent or something similar to the Iphone app MotionX-GPS?  The MotionX-GPS allows you to use your Iphone just like a Garmin GPS.  A pre created GPS track is uploaded, via an e-mail download system.  Like Garmin you can choose the line colour of your track and leave a coloured breadcrumb trail behind.  The App lets you you orientate the map in the direction that you are riding exactly as Garmin does.  The mapping is Open Source, downloading as you ride via the 3G connection.

The minimum requirement for the android app would be being able to upload a pre-created track and then follow it as you are riding.  Stuff like choice of track colour are nice to have,  but not essential.  HK

Re: Android Phone GPS app
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:40:37 am »
You can do that with Viewranger here but it's very greedy in terms of battery life.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:40:53 am »
Of course there is, but it's much much easier to use.

It's called Google Navigation, save your routes to your GMail account file storage and they are available to you wherever you are (and can be saved locally to save on data charges when out in the sticks)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:54:22 am »
Of course there is, but it's much much easier to use.

It's called Google Navigation, save your routes to your GMail account file storage and they are available to you wherever you are (and can be saved locally to save on data charges when out in the sticks)

And if you're following a gpx that someone else has sent you, you have to convert it to kml first.
It's rubbish at giving you speed/altitude stuff and great at telling you where the nearest chinese takeaway is. Google navigation is OK, but it doesn't match what a Garmin does. Viewranger is a 'nicer' app IME than Google Nav- you're not tied to Google maps, for one thing.

I've used both, and to be frank, I wouldn't use either if I rode as long distances or as regularly as HK does. I'd get an etrex.

It's like choosing a photo editor for your phone. Of course you can get them, and they do the job, in a non-intuitive awkward way that leaves you swearing sometimes and infuriated at others, occasionally amazed that you got the bloody thing to do what it was supposed to, but if you really want to take photos and edit them, you get a decent camera and a PC app that does the whole thing better.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
I'd disagree with the "have to convert them to KML first" bit, I am afraid, I have used several routes that I have put in my GMail account as .gpx.

I do, however, agree about the "horses for courses" comment (paraphrasing, obviously).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2013, 03:32:10 pm »
You could also try OsmAnd. It lets you download offline OpenStreetMap maps for the whole country.
It can follow a GPX track, plus it can do autorouting.