Author Topic: Memory card speed  (Read 1050 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Memory card speed
« on: 16 November, 2010, 06:56:17 pm »
I've seen vague comments claiming it doesn't make any difference for Garmin GPS devices, but do any of you guys have any more to add before I order a second card tomorrow?

I'm particularly interested in actual experiences relating to the Edge 605 or 705.  Thank you.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Re: Memory card speed
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:05:40 am »
The only comment on card speed I remember is that if you used a fast card (Sandisk Extreme III or better) with an older Etrex or GPSMap60, it would corrupt the card enough that even a reformat wouldn't save it

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2010, 09:42:33 am »
For a while it was said that only Sandisk microSD would work properly, but I don't think that applies any more, if it ever did.  I've got a mix of Sandisk and Kingston (and one Fuji) and they all seem just the same. (Not Edge - Etrex and Dakota)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2010, 10:30:01 am »
*checks back in Scan order history*

1 x   4GB STal MSD4GBST/R MicroSDHC

That's this one:-
   Scan.co.uk: Super Talent SD Card 4GB Micro Memory Secure Digital High Capcity (SDHC) - MSD4GBST/R

Marked as 'high speed' but not much else...

That's what I loaded the OSM maps on to for my Edge 705. Never had a problem with it although I moved back to using the supplied Mapsource map card.

I've got a more recent Edge 705 with 1GB internal memory, which is where the tracklog history gets written to. This is separate from the micro-SD card that stores the maps.

I got the Edge 705 Road Performance bundle, so it came with a 2GB Sandisk card containing City Navigator Europe.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:00:16 pm »
Choice is more limited for micro SD than big SD.  I can't even find a really high-speed one at the moment from a dealer I trust.

Play.com used to sell Sandisk Premier directly, but now it's supplied by an independent seller with Play.com just acting as an agent, Amazon style, which I don't like.  Sandisk is a favourite brand for fakers.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●