Author Topic: Parking brake and 2009 ICE Q  (Read 755 times)

Parking brake and 2009 ICE Q
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:30 pm »
Overhauling my ICE Q prior to my second attempt to fit a motor I am wondering about fitting a parking brake while all is easily accessible. It would be a disc on the Alfine 11 IGH
On my last ICE (QNT and hub brakes) I used a velcro strap to hold one brake lever on. It always worked.

Is there much or any advantage to fitting a disc to the rear and a ratchet lever under the seat?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Parking brake and 2009 ICE Q
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »
I use it the vbrake on the rear wheel as I would a hand brake on a car.  The drum brakes on the front wheels are my main driving brakes  ☺
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:09:31 pm »
A shifter's a fair bit more convenient than a velcro strap, especially when you want to stop briefly and do something with both hands (add/remove clothing, take photos, that sort of thing).  I have an auxiliary V-brake on my Streetmachine that I use like a car handbrake (also functions as source of donor parts should I damage a gear shifter mid-tour).  Unless you need it for legal compliance[1], if you're happy with velcro, that's fine too.

Main advantage to having a rear brake on a tadpole trike is for handbrake turns when it's icy.   :demon:

[1] If you've got a setup where a single lever operates both front brakes like barakta and Tigerbiten have, you need the rear parking brake as an independent braking system.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:30:38 am »
OK. Thank you both

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:33 am »
You should be able to pick up a MTB friction lever for £5-10.
Match it with a BB7 caliper and a gear cable you're done.
But ......
Remember it has to 100% off before you start pedalling otherwise it's hard work ........  ;D

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:58:58 am »

Remember it has to 100% off before you start pedalling otherwise it's hard work ........  ;D

Been there done that.  10 miles on the tandem.  Thought the stoker had her feet up   ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:43:40 am »

My XXL has a little sticker on top of the front derailleur post readind "BRAKE!!1!" after the hardest 23 km evvah on the Denmead Summer 200  :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:15:16 am »
The corollary to that is that when you do have a parking brake, you'll find yourself groping for it in the vague hope that you've accidentally left it on every time the going gets tough...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 02:57:55 pm »
Unless you are Jonathan notp   ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »
I've managed to ride away slowly with the velcro around a front brake.
Cycleman was there so I will blame him  :P

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »
Sorted. A Shimano rotor, mechanical caliper and a very old ratchet thumby.
Not sure I have the cable run right but it works up in the air on my workstand. :)