Author Topic: Bordeaux-Paris UAF 600 - 2016  (Read 3960 times)

Re: Bordeaux-Paris UAF 600 - 2016
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:17 am »
Audax UK validate randonnees, not Audax rides. They are different things.

The big UAF Audax rides include things like motorcycle outriders (no stopping at lights or roundabouts), four course meals with wine, hotels, transport before/after for one-way brevets (like Bordeaux-Paris) and a follow car during the brevet. Those services cost money, despite enthusiastic volunteers from the UAF.

Thanks for the explanations! I can see how that costs money. I mean it does sound fun but can you imagine LEL with motorcycle outriders!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 10:00:18 am »
If LEL was a tight bunch of 50-100 riders, motorcycle outriders would be the best way of getting them between London and Edinburgh with minimum disruption to traffic.

Small UAF brevets are quite different animals, more like a good club run. Much less paraphernalia needed for them to work well and correspondingly low entry fees.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 11:53:09 am »
I'm just having coffee with Barry Parslow and collecting some stories. He rode a Bordeaux-Paris brevet on the trike back in the day. Apparently an old Frenchman, 'the Wizard of Bordeaux-Paris', rolled up at the start and chatted with Barry at length about various things including the trike. By my reckoning, that Frenchman would have been Francis Pelissier, one of the great legends of the Tour de France. I'd never realised there had been that sort of link between French and British cycling legends.

Going through Barry's stories and the history properly, I'm certain that Barry is talking about PBP and the 'Wizard of PBP' (named by Jock Wadley), Roger Beaumann/ Baumann, though Barry did also ride Bordeaux-Paris. Apparently Roger was associated with Peugeot as he gave Barry a couple of sets of team clothing. Barry was in normal British touring kit then, of course i.e. shorts without chamois, etc. In typical fashion, Barry left them behind at a French railway station afterwards.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/people-who-have-inspired-us-roger-baumann/ Barry agrees that an unsupported Raid Pyreneen is tougher than PBP.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 10:52:16 pm »
Bordeaux-Paris UAF 600 is on again in early June next year, a couple of weeks before PBP Audax in late June (the subsequent PBP Audax will be in 2024).

If you want to try a long proper Audax in the French style in 2020, these are the ones to do. There will contingents from the USA and the UK, amongst others, all looking forward to some French dining and drinking.

S2L

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 01:42:47 pm »
Someone upthread mentioned doing similar events in the UK, but I think they would be disastrous... you just have to look at the sort of abuse club rides are subject to by motorists to rule them out