Author Topic: Brittany Ferries - Pompey to Caen and back  (Read 2651 times)

Re: Brittany Ferries - Pompey to Caen and back
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:35 pm »
The crossing is short and you lose an hour.
So I've decided to TER to Paris and book a hotel near the start.
And relax as much as possible.
That ferry is going to be crammed with PBPers.. :-)

I'll be taking breakfast in le Phare café at Oustreme before the route vert to Cean.

Cheers

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 10:30:52 am »
I've just booked onto the Thursday 15th overnight Portsmouth-Caen. Happy with a seat for £5 rather than the £79 cabin on the Le Havre crossing. Is anyone else planning to ride down to Ramouillet, or has done so in the past and can offer route suggestions?

The cabins are often for up to four people. So if you fill it up it's not that much more and you get a decent nights sleep rather than starting PBP sleep deprived.

I've taken overnight ferries before and have slept just fine in the lounges, plus I've got a couple of nights to get really good sleep before PBP, so not worried about being sleep deprived

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
You're lucky I tried sleeping in seat and on floor of ferry last PBP. It was bloody awful. For the sake of an extra £30 to cover cabin both ways it was a no brainier this time.

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 12:59:14 pm »
I've just booked onto the Thursday 15th overnight Portsmouth-Caen. Happy with a seat for £5 rather than the £79 cabin on the Le Havre crossing. Is anyone else planning to ride down to Ramouillet, or has done so in the past and can offer route suggestions?
All being well I'll be riding to Ramouillet from that ferry. I've got a rough, direct route planned that I will fine tune nearer the time. Although, having not cycled in France before, I'll happily tag along with others with better knowledge of the area.

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 01:03:07 pm »
D roads with a following one or two digit number are great, nice and quiet, little traffic that is well behaved. Try and avoid long sections of D roads that have three following numerical digits. They can be quite busy and traffic not as well behaved (often holiday traffic).  Restaurants / bars / places to stop for food / drink can be scarce in rural France so try and plan out where you will potentially stop along the way.