Author Topic: Dockless Bikes (merged superthread)  (Read 10941 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Dockless Bikes (merged superthread)
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2019, 01:15:20 pm »
Some good points! Particulary this:

The advantage of a dockless bike over the above is that any able-bodied member of the public can, if necessary, pick it up and move it out of the way.

I said in some other thread that I'd much rather see a town littered with dockless bikes than littered with cars.

I suspect there's a couple of factors creating negative reactions in Oxford:
- at least on the streets I frequent, car parking is almost totally absent. So the extra bikes "strewn" on the pavement do make quite a visual impact.
- having all the bikes in garish corporate colours* marks them out as part of a profit-making business.

I do agree that the schemes probably have a net positive effect on any afflicted town centre, but there is perhaps some room for improvement on the PR front. I'm not personally bothered, because I don't spend much time in these towns, and I think it's very early days - market forces (and tech) will shape things a lot more in the years to come.

*Could the bikes be more quaint, and made of biodegradable materials?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2019, 01:19:01 pm »
In Oxford they have definitely become litter [there are at least 3 schemes there, don't think there are any docked schemes?]. Each operator does have permission from the council, but I think the latter may be regretting it! Public opinion seems very much against them - in a town where anti-cycling sentiment is pretty low.
There is one docked scheme from the Sandhills P&R to Headington and the JR.  They have gone bust at least once though.
There was Ofo, MoBike and Pony, but I think Ofo have now given up in the UK. I'm not sure if anyone else has arrived recently, and I've not seen Pony bikes around much, so maybe we're down to just MoBike. That might be one of the reasons why they have become litter - when the operator was running they had a few bicycle driven trailers moving them around the place, but now I don't know where they have gone or who owns what's left.
I really like the MoBike design (single sided forks, orange mag style wheels), but I can't help feeling they are likely to be pretty rubbish to ride. Then again, given the BSOs that many students ride around on...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2019, 01:23:34 pm »
orange mag style wheels
I suppose they are delightfully 80s ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2019, 01:26:18 pm »
The fancy looking Mobikes are all single speed and have such a low gear as to be near unrideable, at least if you're trying to get anywhere.

The more conventional framed ones are three speed and ride pretty well. Better than Boris Bikes.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2019, 01:27:06 pm »
orange mag style wheels
I suppose they are delightfully 80s ...

I bet they flex like well cooked spaghetti.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
Some good points! Particulary this:

The advantage of a dockless bike over the above is that any able-bodied member of the public can, if necessary, pick it up and move it out of the way.

I said in some other thread that I'd much rather see a town littered with dockless bikes than littered with cars.

I suspect there's a couple of factors creating negative reactions in Oxford:
- at least on the streets I frequent, car parking is almost totally absent. So the extra bikes "strewn" on the pavement do make quite a visual impact.
- having all the bikes in garish corporate colours* marks them out as part of a profit-making business.

I do agree that the schemes probably have a net positive effect on any afflicted town centre, but there is perhaps some room for improvement on the PR front. I'm not personally bothered, because I don't spend much time in these towns, and I think it's very early days - market forces (and tech) will shape things a lot more in the years to come.

Have you fallen into an alternative universe? It sounds like it might be a better one.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2019, 01:42:15 pm »

People like to complain about things that are new and different.  While I'm sure there are legitimate complaints about dockless bikes being left in places that block pavements, private bikes locked in stupid places - while not always accepted - are rarely considered noteworthy other than by wheelchair users etc who are actually obstructed by them.  Inconsiderately parked cars (which are surely a much bigger problem) are so normal that people don't even notice them.  The advantage of a dockless bike over the above is that any able-bodied member of the public can, if necessary, pick it up and move it out of the way.

Some streets on the estate where I live have pavements and roads obstructed by parked cars.
It has crossed my mind to park a load of Lime bikes in a line along the road where people park outside their homes while they're all at work, but keeping driveway entrances etc clear.
Set up a webcam and crack open the popcorn.... :demon:

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2019, 02:12:21 pm »

Interesting point.  Obviously there's an advantage to the user (and probably the company) in making the bikes easy to spot, but I don't think that necessarily means they have to be garish.  Boris Bikes are mostly an inoffensive colour, apart from the branding on the basket and skirt guard.  They stand out by being an iconic design, to the point where they're instantly recognisable by other road users (who will generally expect the rider to do something stupid in slow motion, which is a useful safety feature).
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...