Author Topic: SONOS - a revelation  (Read 1507 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: SONOS - a revelation
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 07:00:47 pm »
I concur.
My system has some units wired and the rest wireless. According to the Router device table, ALL devices are listed as wired, even those that are wireless.
Sniffing Wifi reveals a strong "hidden" network running in parallel with the home WiFi - the Sonos Mesh network is the only possible culprit.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 07:37:28 pm »
None of my Sonos speakers have ever seen an ethernet cable, only the diabolical rays of the wifi access point. All five come up connected via wifi as SonosZPs and have DHCP-issued IPs. I think it only creates a mesh if you use the boost feature with a cable. I guess that works analogous with my Arlo, where the cameras mesh with the base station which is wired into the LAN so it can talk to the internets and then Russian hackers can see me in my pants to my favourite selection of Miserable Girls Singing in Bathrooms.

It's just a bit of a mystery how they got onto a WPA-protected network with just, as far as I remember, the press of a button. It's a dark magic, for sure. Either that or I forgot the bit where the iPhone said 'share your password' when I was setting them up in which case there's probably not a lot of mystery to be solved.
!nataS pihsroW

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 08:02:48 pm »
None of my Sonos speakers have ever seen an ethernet cable, […] I think it only creates a mesh if you use the boost feature with a cable.

Yes, I *think* that's what I said.

It's just a bit of a mystery how they got onto a WPA-protected network with just, as far as I remember, the press of a button. It's a dark magic, for sure.

<tweaks ear in the manner of a Maths Teacher>
Review the previous few posts, and write out the answer 100 times.
In ink.
By tomorrow.
And at the same time, Learn It...

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:30 pm »
Oh, I don't understand. I think we've reached the point where technology is so advanced that it's magic to me.
!nataS pihsroW

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 08:40:18 pm »
Boy Wunja has a Sonos one. I agree with the excellent sound and connectivity functionality.
However, like a lot of IoT stuff the security stinks. I may have downloaded the app on to MY phone and I may have played Val Doonican or Max Bygraves (Spotify doesn't seem to have The Cheeky Girls) in his room when I felt it necessary.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »
Oh, I don't understand. I think we've reached the point where technology is so advanced that it's magic to me.

I think that's exactly as it should be.
Indistinguishable from magic.

But it's also right that there should be wizards who at least understand the magic, even if they have limited power to control it.

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 09:44:59 pm »
Boy Wunja has a Sonos one. I agree with the excellent sound and connectivity functionality.
However, like a lot of IoT stuff the security stinks. I may have downloaded the app on to MY phone and I may have played Val Doonican or Max Bygraves (Spotify doesn't seem to have The Cheeky Girls) in his room when I felt it necessary.

Thats happened a couple of times here too, "Keeping your poop in a jar"  didn't go down so well as the alarm call for my son.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 09:53:47 pm »

I think that's exactly as it should be.
Indistinguishable from magic.

But it's also right that there should be wizards who at least understand the magic, even if they have limited power to control it.

I have one up on some people. My watch, for instance, automatically logs me into my sleeping MacBook when I sit down in front of it. One of my colleagues was mysterified by this phenomenon, so when she asked how, I told her it read my brain waves and I just had to picture my password in my mind.
!nataS pihsroW