Author Topic: Garmin Edge Explore and other Edge models  (Read 976 times)

Garmin Edge Explore and other Edge models
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:08:33 pm »
My first post on this site, so apologies if this has been covered before.  I have owned an Edge Explore for 5+ months, superficially a v attractive item, but mine is unbelievably unreliable.  I set it in a particular way, and it resets itself, the display changes for no reason, today for no reason it froze and I could find no way to resuscitate it while riding(plugging it in to charge at home seems to have done the trick!), half way through today's ride it decided it would not recognise my Varia (something that had worked 100% in the past) etc. etc.  Please can other owners let me know, is this typical of the edge explore?
You can tell I am losing patience, but I cannot escape the idea that Garmin make the best cycling computers, in case I feel forced to upgrade, please can anyone give me a glowing recommendation.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Garmin Edge Explore and other Edge models
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:40 am »
No experience of the Garmin but I was looking for a GPS about a year ago. Anecdotally I’d got the impression that he Garmin was unreliable for the reasons that you mentioned so bought a Wahoo! ELEMNT.

So far it’s been 100% reliable and I haven’t regretted it.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:24:27 am »
Garmin have always been a bit buggy but seem to have got worse the last few years.  My Etrex Touch 25 bricked itself after about a month which was probably a good thing as I was tearing my hair out by then.  Like Paul I've moved to Wahoo and find it a much more pleasant experience. 

That's a shame to hear about the Edge Explore though as I'd heard good things about it.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:35 am »
please can anyone give me a glowing recommendation.
etrex 30.
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:52:31 am »
My Etrex 30 review
However recommending an Etrex to someone struggling with GPS no longer feels like the right thing to do.  They are increasingly old-skule and there is increasing expectation of phone-integrated devices which as I understand it is where the Wahoo comes in, I've never encountered one but it does seem to attract quite good user feedback.

It's just unfortunate that we are cyclists and are therefore naturally drawn to the Edge range, which are Garmin's cycle-specific devices.  My partner and I have both been cycling 'paperless' with Garmins for over 13 years now, including multi-week long distance tours all over the world, with no problems at all.  But in all that time we have avoided the Edges because anecdotally they seem so problematic.  Or maybe they just don't recover well from user error.

Sheila often leads group tours which give me a good opportunity to see and compare various different models of (Garmin) GPS in use, in similar conditions.  We recommend our participants to use a Garmin Etrex but fully expect more than half of them to bring an Edge.  We each carry a spare Etrex.  These usually get deployed on day 2 of the trip when the first 2 Edges 'fail'.  I say 'fail' because my observation on the road is that almost all Edge 'failures' are actually one or other type of user error - inadequate battery care, inability to load route files, etc etc.  As the tour goes on with a process of gentle education the Edges become more usable.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:58:40 am »
My Etrex 30 review
...phone-integrated devices which as I understand it is where the Wahoo comes in...

Which is why Wahoo is a non-starter for me.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:40:57 am »
Yeah, me too.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 12:45:01 pm »
I've had 3 Garmins - graduating from a 200 (which I still have) to an Edge Touring and now an Edge 1000 - the 200 and 1000 have been perfectly well-behaved ... the Touring suffered the sort of symptoms you describe - doing a couple of consecutive factory resets seemed to eventually fix it -

And the obvious question: have you connected it to Garmin's site to see if there are any updates?    My recollection is that there was a pretty fundamental update not long ago that expanded the works so much that it MUST have an SD card in it to work (and a better map too).

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 08:30:02 am »
My Etrex 30 review
...phone-integrated devices which as I understand it is where the Wahoo comes in...

Which is why Wahoo is a non-starter for me.

It's really no big deal.  There's no need to have the phone so running or connected while you're using the device: what Wahoo have done is basically move some of the fine control of the device offboard, so if you want to load a track or load since basemaps, you do it via your phone.  This is a very cunning stunt which short circuits the old trade-off between buttons (less space left for the screen, and the evil Etrex joystick of doom) or touchscreen (doesn't work in the wet or with gloves). 

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:46:07 am »
what Wahoo have done is basically move some of the fine control of the device offboard, so if you want to load a track or load since basemaps, you do it via your phone.
What does Wahoo do for those of us who do not own a smartphone?

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:55:52 am »
I have had no problems with my edge touring GPS except for concerns about battery life. I don't use it for audux though. The touch screen  is usable .I just wish it showed campsites on the mapping   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 08:56:40 am »
what Wahoo have done is basically move some of the fine control of the device offboard, so if you want to load a track or load since basemaps, you do it via your phone.

This.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »

Wait until you get one free with your next mobile contact, which itself costs less than the price of a landline.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 01:25:50 pm »
I have had no problems with my edge touring GPS except for concerns about battery life. I don't use it for audux though. The touch screen  is usable .I just wish it showed campsites on the mapping   :-)
I used my Edge Touring Plus on an audax. No problems whatsoever. Just followed the route.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:03:41 am »
Thanks for all the contributions, at least I know I'm not alone, and there may be a solution if I trash my Edge Explore.  That said, yesterday I dumped my Garmin phone app and reinstalled it to get the latest version, which I subsequently synced, as I did with my Edge - Garmin Express assured me that I was up to date and synced, and just to prove it they noted my last Sync was 17th Feb!?

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 08:45:37 pm »

Wait until you get one free with your next mobile contact, which itself costs less than the price of a landline.

What contract?