Author Topic: ACME goes European  (Read 1153 times)

tedshred

• ACME photographer in residence
Re: ACME goes European
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 02:31:53 pm »
You're doing well with this not riding PBP thing.

I think some people even believe you.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 02:50:02 pm »
What I will be plotting is a route and schedule that appeals for the majority. Without looking at the terrain, I noted that a semi-circle that goes inland from Dunkirk, up and round to Hoek was about 300km. That's just a starting point, but gives a rough indication before detailed route planning starts (with the aim to include as many things of interest along the way, with as much use of cycle paths and quiet roads as possible).

Just be aware, you can greatly improve your enjoyment of riding in Belgium by avoiding Antwerp, and a C shaped route like you suggest is either going to need to be longer, or take the ferry across to Vlissingen.

I did have a play on komoot, you could include the Muur de Geraadsbergen, and it's about 350km...

But longer if you want to avoid Antwerp...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Last year we touched Antwerp, mostly the industrial bits which provided plenty of cycleways and some rather brutal architecture that contrasted against the windmills, waterways and such like on the rest of the trip. Not necessarily looking to go there again so will look at other options.

tedshred

• ACME photographer in residence
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »
It might just have been me but I really enjoyed the Antwerp docks bit.  In fact the whole inland waterway thing there and across Holland was the most interesting part of the whole trip - apart, obviously, from the witty banter of my fellow travellers  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 03:34:54 pm »
I lived in Flanders for a few years and often take part in Audax events there, its a mixed bag in terms of bike infrastructure, some parts
are good - sometimes its just plain awful. (compared to NL that is)

Generally speaking i would just recommend to avoid any of the provincial 'N' roads, they often dont have proper segregated
bike paths and if they do the quality is basic to say the least. There are lots of routes next to inland waterways with little or no traffic.
For beer lovers West Vleteren abbey is close to Dunkirk, also Ypres and the surrounding WW1 monuments are impressive ( if thats your thing)
If you want to take in a city Ghent is a good alternative for Antwerp and has less urban/industrial sprawl.

If you get anywhere near North Brabant NL i might come and say hello, last year you went via Best (the famous Macdonalds) but i was on Holiday.

Regards,

Alan

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 07:04:06 am »
Belated thought:  These guys are coming from Essex, so bad driving shouldn't be a problem.  (And if it is, there's always dynamite.)
I'd agree with that. I did a solo tour that took in part of Flanders (Hook > Ypres > Dunkirk) and I have to say I never found any of the roads or driving to be worse than what we deal with in East Anglia.
Enjoying a quiet year