Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 217317 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1325 on: December 07, 2018, 09:59:41 am »
I was challenged to a race at about 5a.m. one Saturday morning* by a bloke on a Yo bike (dockless hire thing). "Are you going Filton? Do you want a race? I'll give you a race? I'm the champion of this!" I was on my way to a hilly 200km audax so I was content to let him zoom off.

*For me. It was clearly Friday night for him.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1326 on: December 07, 2018, 10:02:12 am »
Yesterday, there was a huge (thankfully very visible) pool of oil or petrol just in front of and over the give way line, so I braked cautiously to a stop. This gave an opportunity for the old bloke on the corner with tell-tale black bag (clue: it was open at the top and he didn't have a dog) to say "It's green!" I looked at him quizzically. "It's clear! There's nothing coming, you can go! Well, there is now!"

« Reply #1327 on: January 10, 2019, 10:43:00 am »
yesterday, turning right into a side road and a youngish man is ambling then standing in the middle of the road. So I turn and slow down to pass behind him but asked him not to stand in the middle of the road. He demonstrated he had command of  some swear words and that I was 'a dickhead cyclist'. I wished him a pleasant day and left him to his musings,

« Reply #1328 on: January 12, 2019, 01:40:40 pm »
Yesterday, on my way home from work, someone (with a bottle of beer) was wandering down the road. As I approach he stepped to the side and said (said more than shouted, but this felt like the right thread in any case) “sorry, I thought you were a car”.
To be frank, I’m still puzzled.

« Reply #1329 on: January 16, 2019, 10:55:54 pm »
Today that would be me. Driving home from work i passed a cyclist on an unlit rural road. He had a good headlight but his rear light was out. I pulled in at a farm entrance ahead and got out of the car to call out to him. A little later I passed him with both lights working.

« Reply #1330 on: February 04, 2019, 09:00:56 am »
Cycling into a stiff head wind. Car pulls alongside.
Driver: You need to watch the road. Something something something something something.
Me: What?
Driver: drives off
Look, if you are going to lecture someone about how to ride a bicycle, at least try to make sure they've understood whatever point it is you're trying to make...

« Reply #1331 on: February 27, 2019, 01:17:19 pm »
Doppler-effect "Cycle path" shout from open passenger window last night.

The difference being that, for the first time ever, I didn't get wound up. I remembered to smile broadly and wave cheerily at the receding car, hoping that the driver, instead of me, would enjoy the resulting apoplexy.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #1332 on: February 27, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »
"G'wan, PEDAL!" from a random pedestrian as I slowed to a halt behind a van in a queueueueue of traffic.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1333 on: March 15, 2019, 09:17:17 am »
Apparently I don't own the road. Who knew? It's a good job there are random cunts in cars about to keep us informed of these things.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1334 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
Apparently I don't own the road. Who knew? It's a good job there are random cunts in cars about to keep us informed of these things.

Actually, I do own the road and just let people like you use it from charity.  If you don't like this arrangement, have your people talk to my people :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #1335 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:41 pm »
"G'wan, PEDAL!" from a random pedestrian as I slowed to a halt behind a van in a queueueueue of traffic.

Variation on the above:  "G'wan girl!", which is one of those which can mean entirely different things depending on who's shouting it.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1336 on: March 15, 2019, 01:56:13 pm »
Go on, we dare you! say the schoolkids. Ian appraises the large lake that has spilled across the road and demurs cos he only has little Brompton pram wheels.

(that's the same 'puddle' that always appears, the one a car sped into the other week and slewed to a sudden halt as it lost traction, it must be at least half a metre deep).
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #1337 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:39 pm »
"Get your arse on the saddle!"

Lady in her seventies with a zimmer frame as I passed her on Pottergate. PLOT TWIST I was sitting down. I wasn't out of the saddle, it was a slight downhill coast bit. My arse was on the saddle. None of it makes sense.

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #1338 on: March 21, 2019, 04:08:09 pm »
"Get a car ya bearded hippy" - shouted at me today. I think it might have been from the mouth of my local bike shop owner.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1339 on: March 22, 2019, 07:06:42 pm »
This bloke actually lost his licence for stopping to shout at a cyclist. Only his taxi licence, not his driving licence, but highly unusual.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/taxi-drivers-licence-shredded-after-2675070

« Reply #1340 on: March 23, 2019, 06:10:44 am »
This bloke actually lost his taxi licence, not his driving licence, but highly unusual.

Makes up for some of the "don't take my license away or I can't drive to work" cases, when taking the license away means he can't drive FOR work ...

« Reply #1341 on: March 27, 2019, 10:16:43 am »
'You need to get some f-in oil on that' from two youths at a cyclist whose brakes were squealing. Couldn't decide whether they were swearing or suggesting some sexual lubricant may be of benefit

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #1342 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:29 pm »
A real blast from the past yesterday.

I was overtaken by a dark-coloured car. The passenger window was down. A shout, almost but not quite in stereo, was emitted of a type I haven't heard regularly since I taught in a boys' secondary modern school between 1975 and 1981. "Wawka!" (for the uninitiated, that's my surname translated into Saarfendese). This means that the oiks concerned must be well into their 50s.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.