Author Topic: Gin!  (Read 15028 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Gin!
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2017, 06:27:43 pm »
Oh, Spirit of Hven is also delish.

Ian, I've not had any German gins other than Monkey. What do you rate?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »
Today's haul.
2017-12-25_02-28-17 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2017, 06:16:04 pm »
Oh, Spirit of Hven is also delish.

Ian, I've not had any German gins other than Monkey. What do you rate?

Granit, The Duke, Brandstifter, Bavarka, Elephant. I think we have a few more acquired on various trips, I really need to catalogue the collection.

I like Bavarka as it's the potato one. The Duke is rather tasty.

Medicinal is perhaps a better description, I sort of meant they're distinctly juniper-based (as a gin should be) but also rather complicated.

Hven is nice as is Hernö. Not tried the others. I've really run out of space. I may have to shift the dead cat.
!nataS pihsroW

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2018, 12:16:00 am »
Try some Monkey 47 if you haven't, it's a good gateway into the German gins, and they tend to be complex and junipery rather than the lemon-and-more-lemon.

Looking back on my tasting notes from Christmas 2016, I can see that I did like the Monkey 47. Although, tbh, I spent most of last Christmas in a gin haze and don't know how I could possibly have remembered any of them in enough detail for my notes to be reliable.

Was at a do yesterday evening where I discovered the joys of the Negroni - a cocktail that is apparently quite fashionable but has passed me by until now. I do like a generous dash of Angostura in my G&T and the Campari in a Negroni has a similar effect. A very pleasant alternative to a Martini.

In other news, I got this as a stocking filler from Satan:

Much more pleasant than you'd imagine.