Author Topic: Gin!  (Read 16168 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Gin!
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2017, 06:27:43 pm »
Oh, Spirit of Hven is also delish.

Ian, I've not had any German gins other than Monkey. What do you rate?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »
Today's haul.
2017-12-25_02-28-17 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2017, 06:16:04 pm »
Oh, Spirit of Hven is also delish.

Ian, I've not had any German gins other than Monkey. What do you rate?

Granit, The Duke, Brandstifter, Bavarka, Elephant. I think we have a few more acquired on various trips, I really need to catalogue the collection.

I like Bavarka as it's the potato one. The Duke is rather tasty.

Medicinal is perhaps a better description, I sort of meant they're distinctly juniper-based (as a gin should be) but also rather complicated.

Hven is nice as is Hernö. Not tried the others. I've really run out of space. I may have to shift the dead cat.
!nataS pihsroW

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2018, 12:16:00 am »
Try some Monkey 47 if you haven't, it's a good gateway into the German gins, and they tend to be complex and junipery rather than the lemon-and-more-lemon.

Looking back on my tasting notes from Christmas 2016, I can see that I did like the Monkey 47. Although, tbh, I spent most of last Christmas in a gin haze and don't know how I could possibly have remembered any of them in enough detail for my notes to be reliable.

Was at a do yesterday evening where I discovered the joys of the Negroni - a cocktail that is apparently quite fashionable but has passed me by until now. I do like a generous dash of Angostura in my G&T and the Campari in a Negroni has a similar effect. A very pleasant alternative to a Martini.

In other news, I got this as a stocking filler from Satan:

Much more pleasant than you'd imagine.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2019, 07:28:50 pm »
This thread seems a little ossified.

I am, relatively speaking, a novice gin drinker. For my entire life, save the past 18 months or so, I have eschewed gin as the choice of drink of golfers named Nigel. I'm not a golfer and I'm not called Nigel.

I have actually discovered that I'm quite fond of gin & tonic. I have just finished a bottle of Star of Bombay, which with Fever Tree tonic, was quite palatable.

What does the panel recommend as my next venture in gin drinking? Please bear in mind that it is more likely to be sampled if Waitrose sell it.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2019, 08:37:46 pm »
If you like Fever Tree, try lemonade, it's cheaper.
At least that's what I think of it. I suspect the invention of 'tonic' that doesn't taste like traditional tonic is a significant factor in the sudden popularity of gin & tonic.

Me, I like my gin to be like being punched in the face by a juniper bush and my tonic to be dirty Schweppes. I don't care if Schweppes isn't cool, it's tonic :) Getting quite hard to get hold of when dining out these days...

« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2019, 08:54:42 pm »
Try the Cotswolds Dry Gin, packed with botanicals, and on offer at Waitrose at the moment.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2019, 09:02:43 pm »
"Botanicals" always strikes me as being a poncey word for plants.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2019, 09:26:51 pm »
It depends on what botanicals you like.
My preference is for lots of juniper (Makar, but it's not subtle) or spice/liquorice (Achroous, Bobby's, Cotswold, Monkey 47, Wild Beer Schnoodlepip, Lone Wolf, Hven) or the odd stuff in between (Eden Hop gin). The Wild Beer Sleeping Lemons is so smooth & lemony you could sip it neat. Not recommended with Gordons & Tanqueray etc.
The floral stuff is not my cup of tea but YMMV.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2019, 09:59:58 am »
Monkey 47, if I recall, is available in Waitrose and is a very good gin. I like the poncy flowers in my botanicals, but then I have a degree in botany, so there. People like Hendricks, though once you've tried a couple of other gins, it's a bit one dimensional. Harringtons is a very nice and rather traditional. Avoid the flavoured stuff, I like my gin to taste like gin, not a sweet shop.

I can't abide the insipid Fever Tree tonic, I'm on the Schweppes wagon, it's a proper tonic which is what you need in a good G&T. But always take a neat sip of the gin so you know what it goes with and what it tastes like.
!nataS pihsroW