Author Topic: Lump on inside of knee cap - is it related to cycling / cleat placement?  (Read 598 times)

I had a bit of a strange injury yesterday.

I was kneeling down (to wipe up baby vomit, to give a bit of context), and my knee suddenly started to hurt. I moved off it but it was still hurting.

When I looked at it there was a lump, the size of a marble, on the inside of my kneecap. Lump went down with ice but a little bit of swelling remains when it warms up and it feels tender, but OK for walking, bending and, probably, cycling

I had a cleat fitting two days before and had done 30km on the new cleats plus a turbo session yesterday morning, all pain free. 

Google suggests bursitis or possibly a torn meniscus but will have to wait for next week to see anyone qualified. Google doesn't suggest it is a cycling thing, more a kneeling thing, but 'new shoes then knee explodes 2 days later' is a cause for concern. 

Has anyone come across this as a cycling related injury? What was done to fix it? 

Water in the knee? I had it once.

From cycling or other cause?

Not cycling. I cant remember how I got it.

g8iln

<disclaimer> I am not a medical person </disclaimer> but I have done this to myself several times, usually by kneeling down onto something hard like a piece of lego! Sounds like bursitis, an anti-inflammatory drug might help. My doctor advised me to keep it moving using pain killers if necessary.

arabella

• no se porque yo no lo se
fwiw, I have a bursa but not bursitis (as in: nice lump of jelly on the inside of my knee but no pain* so conclusion was to leave it alone).
If it gets inflamed it becomes bursitis, I think.

Hospy did an echographie (sorry, forgot the english word, again) showing there was a link from the knee joint to the lump.
GP and I thought it might have been a ganglion, and attempted to suck it out (clear jelly very like what they put on your tum if preggy and getting an echographie).

*nuisance factor in that my fave sleeping position now less available due to lump in the way
In the dark, all views are the same.

Thanks for comments. 
Mine is definitely not related to cycling. Got round a 200 yesterday with no issues. The only time it bothered me was when I had to put more air in my tyre and knelt down to pump.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Housemaid's knee and clergyman's knee are due to a bursa (fluid pouch) in front of the upper and lower parts of the knee respectively.

They are related to the kneeling habits of said occupations.