Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 65850 times)

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #875 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:42 pm »
You can get a hair cut for 2/3 the cost  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #876 on: April 04, 2019, 08:19:18 am »
Yebbut the finder's fee is a killer.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #877 on: April 04, 2019, 11:19:19 am »
Yeah, Youtube's brilliant because you can go and find out what almost anything is.
That neverendingness is also the problem with using it. That and the fact you're staring at a screen.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #878 on: April 13, 2019, 08:06:48 am »
When people start lamenting the death of some "significant" pop musician you've never heard of.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #879 on: April 13, 2019, 11:15:49 am »
And here am I, with a good 20 years on Kim, listening on Spotify. Quality for me is fine, especially when listening to digitally remastered files over Sonos speaker. Probably because the quality of my original vinyl collection (disposed of 30 years ago at the local charity shop by me ex..) was mainly crap '70's pressings. And it gives me access to things I've never listed to before, plus it's portable at a time when actually sitting listening is a luxury - my musical tastes are not shared by my wife, and I find wearing headphones when she's around impolite. So having the ability to stream music in the gym via earpods, or in the shed over the Sonos is brilliant. Horses for courses.

Heh.

Having lived with a paritally deaf person for about 18 years, nearly all my listening is with headphones, as playing audio into the room is impolite (music's just a source of noise, and speech is distressingly indistinguishable from a random person in the house).  As such, I've got out of the habit of listening to music other than when sitting down to specifically listen to music (rare), to drown out the leakage of barata's beepy euro-pop[1], or when travelling.  So I do very little of it, and 20 odd gigabytes of FLACs on my phone is usually sufficient.  I'm so completely out of touch with music I don't already know that streaming would be wasted on me.

[1] Ironically, barakta spends more time listening to music than I do, as it helps her manage tinnitus.  Thanks to Newton's third law, her BAHA shares a tinny little version of what going into her skull with the rest of the room, in a manner similar to original Walkman headphones.

As a tinnitus sufferer myself, I fully get that, its about enough other noise to drown out the constant drone/whine in my head. I always listen to something in the car, couple tinnitus with a land rove and you get LOUD. Wife does not get this, or my tendency to have the news on in the background for the same reason.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #880 on: April 13, 2019, 11:18:24 am »
Speaking of which, I was just moaning to Pingu that I need to remove my music off my work laptop to generate some space and I can't put it on my external hard drive now because we're banned from moving files to USB.
Pingu piped up, you've just bought a 256Gb SD card for that new phone, you could get our entire music collection on there.

Oh yes. Of course.
Truly, WTTF.

Just about to go there myself, shiny new laptop due anytime soon, couldn't justify the 1tb hard drive, but a nice big SD card will work very well for a lot less.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #881 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:42 am »
When you start working up a mouthful of spit to seal an envelope with a self-adhesive flap.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #882 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:23 am »
You know you are old when you stand in a queue in Starbucks, admire the funky hair colours of the young lady in front you - jet black with a silver streak dyed into her fringe  - and realise that you dye your hair so that it doesn't look exactly like that!!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #883 on: April 18, 2019, 12:16:13 pm »
When a story written a few years before you were born contains a description of someone's "navel peeping out above his belt, because he wore his white Levis so low on his hips"* and you think how it might be nice to be able to find trousers so high-waisted they were as high as those low-waisted ones.

*Or better written words to that effect. But they were white Levis.**
**But I don't want white Levis!
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #884 on: April 18, 2019, 12:25:23 pm »
I though navel-covering trousers were a Simon Cowell thing!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #885 on: April 18, 2019, 12:38:49 pm »
I though navel-covering trousers were a Simon Cowell thing!

Or Stan and Olie
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #886 on: April 21, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »
When you find one of these in your toolbox:

« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2019, 04:10:26 pm »
I'm sure I came in here for something, but I can't remember what it was now.

Oh, they're on my head.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2019, 04:22:40 pm »

Oh, they're on my head.

Over 10 years ago, I got in a panic about losing a small child in Legoland.
He was on my shoulders...

« Reply #889 on: April 21, 2019, 04:51:53 pm »
 ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #890 on: April 22, 2019, 11:10:32 am »

Oh, they're on my head.

Over 10 years ago, I got in a panic about losing a small child in Legoland.
He was on my shoulders...
"What the utter re!" as the young ones say.

« Reply #891 on: April 23, 2019, 09:54:59 am »
You know you're middle aged when..... you get quite upset at being sold "seniors rate" at the football AGAIN!

That's four times this season.  :facepalm:
Cats to the left of me, cats to the right of me, cats sitting on my keyboard making far more sense than I do.